Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
2001type r
AF Newbie

turbo on a type r

So i recently picked up a 2001 integra type r. I have already slapped on a lot of the basic bolt ons such as intake, header, exhaust. I also have put on AEM pullies, AEM adjustable cam gears, and dc short throw shifter. I have heard that putting a turbo on a type r requires a lot more engine preperation than on other integras. Is putting a turbo on this car stupid? What all will i need to change as far as engine internals goes to make sure that i have a reliable turbo-charged vehicle. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
2001type r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 05:59 PM   #2
hai_IntegwaTwypeR
AF Newbie

the reason why a type-r is a more difficult car to turbo than an LS is compression...the lower compression a car is the more turbofriendly it is. I would not call it stupid but i wouldn't do it unless i had money busting a hole in my pocket daily. Type-R's should just go all motor. get beefy internal work and all the basic bolt-ons maybe Bore it outto a 2.0liter boring out the manifolds (or getting new) just enginework and a lot of it. superchargers are ineffective because of the low displacement of the engine. I believe the transmissions (type-r) are able to handle a pretty good amount of horsepower... engine engine engine
Drag Turbo in the garage next to the Greddy Racing Intercooler next to the VIS CF hood making friends with the Predator Side Skirts coupled up with the shogun back and front bumpers with the Audiobahn 12" subs wanting to make love to the Optima Battery because of my JL 300/6 amp and my 1200x2 JBL. while i Sit in my cockpit adorned in Recaro Racing seats with Red and Black upholstering.
IN MY CAR: AEM Cold Air/N1 2.5" Exhaust/OBD1 Flashed Chip/Magnecors/Toda Racing Cams/Mugen Front Sway Bar/RS Limited White Wheels (Very Limited)
Ultra-High flow fuel system coming with some spines, Gears, and a torque converter. AT TURBO WOOOHOO
hai_IntegwaTwypeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
knorwj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to knorwj
is that true for a gs-r also? better al motor not turbo?
knorwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #4
TheNotoriousMogg
AF's #1 Bad Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheNotoriousMogg Send a message via Yahoo to TheNotoriousMogg
turbo is good for a GSR alot of people do it...I have never heard anyone say its not good for the GSR like they do the ITR

thegrumpysergeant.net
TheNotoriousMogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 02:07 PM   #5
2001type r
AF Newbie

lets say i still wanted to put a turbo on my type r. for some reason i just think it would kick ass to put a turbo on an already fast ass car. what all would i have to do to the engine. which engine internals would i need to beef up. i am just trying to figure out if this is an impossible (or just absolutely ridiculous) idea. thanks
2001type r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:57 PM   #6
S1 Type-R
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to S1 Type-R
I have a 2001 Type-R and would keep it all motor then any forced induction.....guess im just afraid of blowing.
Besides the Type-R internals have already been upgraded why replace them?

WWW.SQUADONE.NET

S1 Type-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:56 AM   #7
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

u can definataly turbo a vtec motor even a type-r, but the question is do u have money for a new motor? ive heard guys turbo thier itr's and it was running in the low 13's but after a couple of runs the motor blew.if i were u keep it all motor since u have a high compression engine thats my advice, leave the force induction to the non vtec
tran_nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:04 AM   #8
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

put in some gsr pistons and boost maybe 6 psi. I think it should hold up then, cuz basically you got the same block except for you got high cr. so with the gsr pistons youd have a GSR block and then you got the great head so you can stil keep the high revs and then with boost it should be damn fast.

but if you wanna turbo and have lots of speed, sell the ITR and get a LS and youll have more than enough money to turbo the LS and smoke a ITR, plus cheaper insurance. but its your choice.
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:05 AM   #9
S1 Type-R
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to S1 Type-R
Quote:
Originally posted by tran_nsx
u can definataly turbo a vtec motor even a type-r, but the question is do u have money for a new motor? ive heard guys turbo thier itr's and it was running in the low 13's but after a couple of runs the motor blew.if i were u keep it all motor since u have a high compression engine thats my advice, leave the force induction to the non vtec

WWW.SQUADONE.NET

S1 Type-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 05:22 AM   #10
KrNxRaCer00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KrNxRaCer00 Send a message via Yahoo to KrNxRaCer00
i have to disagree.

guys if u actually build the motor correctly, u'll be able to run the boost safely. nobody said going fast was cheap, so its' gonna take some money, but u can turbo the b18c5 without problems.

i don't really agree with the ls statement. yes, for cheaper the ls will take more boost (simply because of its lower c/r), but once u get deeper into ur pocket, the b18c5 will come out on top.

an turbo with vtec isn't bad at all, they can work in conjuction an create nice amounts of power.

99 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
2000 Acura Integra Type R (sold)
1994 Acura Integra GSR (retired/sold)
KrNxRaCer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 06:46 AM   #11
100proof
AF Regular

i would keep it all motor
and you would have to take of your intake and header becouse turbos come with them so you just got that stuff for nothing

keep it all motor
100proof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:45 AM   #12
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

im sorry i have to diasgree with u krnxracer. for a long time i thought vtec was the best thing that came out for honda's, but now i see its draw backs, if u want to go fast in a vtec motor wheather its a gsr or type-r, keep it all motor. i met too many guys who wasted a lot of money trying to combine the 2 for better times at the track to find out hey need a new motor. heck i even know a guy who has a 92 gsr with a rev hard turbo and he complains about it(can't remember the exact problem) when the vtec kicks in, so guess what he does? he shuts it off.he even told me he wanted my motor which is the non vtec ls model, at the time when i was considering a swap for a gsr's cuz i thought my motor was piece of crap. now i see the light. but of course if u have the money go ahead, with money u can have any engine set up ur hearts desire, heck if i have money i'll go for the mclaren f1 screw the engine modifications a stock 11 sec car with a top speed of 231 mph now that is fast.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
94tegRS
AF Enthusiast

maybe hes talking about valve overlap, your boost can creep out of thecylinder a bit. but get high lift short duration cams and it should fix or at least help the problem.

and when I said the LS statement, sell an ITR and with that money youd have an LS that would obliterate it. because LS is much cheaper than the ITR and would pay for the mods, sure if you got the extra money just build the C5.
-01 R1-04 daytona 600-94 teg RS-95 teg LS
-91 teg RS-92 teg GSR-94 civic CX hatch (3 times)
-94 civic DX-96 civic HX-97 Accord LX-72 superbeetle
-74 beetle-84 silverado-66 c10-74 maverick-78 280z
-84 200sx-86 tercel wagon-95 mustang V6
94tegRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:22 PM   #14
KrNxRaCer00
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KrNxRaCer00 Send a message via Yahoo to KrNxRaCer00
thats my point exactly.

yes, if u turbo the b18b motor, u can make it go faster w/ less money, BUT im saying if money isn't an issue, then the c5 is a far superior motor.

it sounds like the guys u kno haven't built their motors correctly and tuned them, because if u combine the two, its going to be faster than the b18b w/ out any questions.

once again, the ls motor IS a cheaper way to go, BUT the c5 is a superior motor, yes even for FI.

99 Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
2000 Acura Integra Type R (sold)
1994 Acura Integra GSR (retired/sold)
KrNxRaCer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 12:17 PM   #15
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

hey 2001 type r i just wanna finish off by saying if u want to definately save some money and have ur car faster buy an ls and turbo charge it, this option just won't be cheaper but it will also be smarter, the b18a1 is begging to be force inducted. but on the other hand if u have money to waste, and don't want to waste $800,000-900,000 for the mclaren f1, if anyone is even selling thiers in the first place. i would swap the c5 for the jdm prelude sir motor and turbo that. now u just don't have a fast ass car, what u have is a beast that will devour almost anything. that is if u have money.oh and btw i hope krnxracer isn't trying to say the c5 is more superior than an f1 car (look like fi, but maybe u mistype) becuz definately its not, honda make great motors but they aren't that great, of course thats a another topic and i really don't want to go on and on with this matter. this is my opinion and i hope the best of luck for what ever u do, bye