Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
hankmavery
AF Newbie

Won't Pop Start And Other Confusion

Hi,
I've searched this topic and still need help. I thought I hit the jackpot when I found this
thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...tarter+jumping
but it still didn't answer my question. Anyway, Here it is;

Car: 1996 Dodge Stratus, Manual Transmission

Problem: Won't Start

What I've Done: I noticed it was making a growling sound when I tried to start it, like the battery was weak. After driving to a few places and 3 more starts it wouldn't start at all. There was no sound, not the solenoid, or any other sounds that I noticed when I turned the key. The 20 amp bus fuse was blown for the ignition.
I then put a starter in it from a salvage yard. The starter tested OK. I also installed a new 20 amp bus fuse.
The first time I tried to start the car with the new starter I got a sound at the solenoid and the 20 amp bus fuse blew. At this point I thought there might be a short somewhere so I replaced the small wire from the solenoid to the box that holds the 4 relay plugs. This worked with a new fuse!
I happily put things back together and drove for about 30 starts. Until one day I tried to start it and nothing happened at all. The fuse was also blown again.
At this point I was parked on the street, so I tried to start it by removing the starter relay plug which has 5 prongs (the plug resembles a small black box about 3/4" x 3/4"). With someone in the car and the key turned all the way to on I tried to start the car with a piece of 12ga copper wire (insulation stipped from the ends). I held the wire in the various openings where the starter relay had been removed and touched the positive terminal on the battery. Suddenly there was a POP and smoke came from underneath where the starter relay plugs into. Woops! Next, I decided to go directly from the positive terminal to the solenoid where the small wire goes into it. Again, I had someone in the car with the key in the on position. I touched the positive terminal with the wire and there was a brief click at the solenoid/starter area each time I touched the positive terminal, but no start. I also did this with jumper cables from a running car attached to the Dodge Stratus battery and the same thing happened.
Lastly I tried to pop start the car several times at speeds up to 20 MPH. Nothing would happen.

I'm learning alot here, and thank you for any replys!
Hank

Last edited by hankmavery; 12-03-2008 at 05:52 PM.
hankmavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

Re: Won't Pop Start And Other Confusion

Hank

Welcome to AFs!

I would start by where the smoke came from. You made a direct short and burnt something causing a no start situation. I'm sure you know after this experience that blindly connecting contacts with a jumper wire can do bad things.

How long have you had this car? What history do you know? Have you had any work done recently? How many miles on the car?

Regards

Dan

Photos of my repairs: http://dansautopictures.shutterfly.com/
Check this out:http://threewheelmotorcyclemetro.shutterfly.co

A must read about problems Windstars have: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=672854

95 Windstar 240,000+
98 Windstar 136,000+ 09-25-2008.
85 Dodge 1 Ton Snow mover gas hog
91 Mazda Protege free beater
SW MN
LeSabre97mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #3
hankmavery
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSabre97mint
Hank

Welcome to AFs!

I would start by where the smoke came from. You made a direct short and burnt something causing a no start situation. I'm sure you know after this experience that blindly connecting contacts with a jumper wire can do bad things.

How long have you had this car? What history do you know? Have you had any work done recently? How many miles on the car?

Regards

Dan
Yes, I probabaly made a mistake. I'm still not sure why I can't pop start it.

1. I've had this car for 12 years (since new)
2. No history related to a starting problem
3. No work done recently.
4. 180,000 miles on car.

Still confused
Thanks for any replys and help!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #4
hankmavery
AF Newbie

Hi,
I found thestratus forumand posted the thread over there.
Here it is:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=932545

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical