Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Turbo'd 350Z

Just got a eMail from STS Turbo's saying there in the process of developing a bolt on kit for the 350Z. Knowing STS, it should be a easy installation.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
<SSR>David
Banned

A single or twin turbo kit? What size? and what is the max psi it can go up to, i guess what I'm trying to ask is SPECS!! +D
Old 04-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

There just in the development stages of it now, but if you PM me I'll give you all I know. If you go to there site please read everything so you understand and then ask questions. I'd be more than happy to help.

http://ststurbo.com/
Old 04-14-2005, 12:10 AM   #4
<SSR>David
Banned

Cool thanks for the info! =D
Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #5
nissan350ztt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to nissan350ztt Send a message via Yahoo to nissan350ztt
Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Single. It's a bad move by STS IMO with APS and Turbonetics having a single turbo kit that offers better performance and the same reliability for around the same price.

I strongly recommend SGP Racing and Forged Internals for purchasing parts, tuning, installing, and more!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan350ztt
Single. It's a bad move by STS IMO with APS and Turbonetics having a single turbo kit that offers better performance and the same reliability for around the same price.
IMO your opinion has no foundation as neather you nor I have any idea what STS has as it's still in development. So how is it you claim better performance, same reliability for around the same price?
Old 05-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
nissan350ztt
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgringo
IMO your opinion has no foundation as neather you nor I have any idea what STS has as it's still in development. So how is it you claim better performance, same reliability for around the same price?
STS will do what they have done in the past. APS and Turbonetics offer better performance (mounting a turbocharger 4+ feet from the exhaust ports isn't going to help spool time) and the same reliability (APS is holding a record for no blown motors on the 350Z) and around the same price (a little more expensive).

I strongly recommend SGP Racing and Forged Internals for purchasing parts, tuning, installing, and more!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
<SSR>David
Banned

Is that so? Well what if they do things different this time. You never know. that doesn't mean they can't do it the same way they have always done.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
nissan350ztt
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by <SSR>David
Is that so? Well what if they do things different this time. You never know. that doesn't mean they can't do it the same way they have always done.
This tells me that they will do the same thing...
"

About us

Squires Turbo Systems, Inc.

Founded by Rick Squires in 2003 and located in Orem, Utah, STS is revolutionizing the aftermarket performance industry with patented remote mounted turbo systems for cars, trucks and SUVs.

Remote mounted turbo systems are superior to traditional turbo systems and superchargers because they are efficient, less intrusive, easy to install, reliable and generate amazing horsepower and torque.
"

http://www.ststurbo.com/about_sts___

Old 05-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #10
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Quote:
STS will do what they have done in the past. APS and Turbonetics offer better performance (mounting a turbocharger 4+ feet from the exhaust ports isn't going to help spool time) and the same reliability (APS is holding a record for no blown motors on the 350Z) and around the same price (a little more expensive).
Hate to pop your 4+' from the exhaust port dream, but you have any idea what this engine is? Now if I'm not mistaken the turbo is 5' from the exhaust port. Once again personal opinions suck and facts win.
As for APS claiming a record for no blown engines on the 350Z, I think Whipple and STS can make that same claim. I don't know of one case of a blown engine with eather.
I'd also like to add that by mounting the turbo's remote you'll also have a cooler engine bay, cooler oil to and from the turbo, but the big plus is much cooler inlet engine air temp.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #11
nissan350ztt
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Quote:
Hate to pop your 4+' from the exhaust port dream, but you have any idea what this engine is? Now if I'm not mistaken the turbo is 5' from the exhaust port. Once again personal opinions suck and facts win.
As for APS claiming a record for no blown engines on the 350Z, I think Whipple and STS can make that same claim. I don't know of one case of a blown engine with eather.
I'd also like to add that by mounting the turbo's remote you'll also have a cooler engine bay, cooler oil to and from the turbo, but the big plus is much cooler inlet engine air temp.

STS and Whipple? They don't make anything for the 350Z.

Do I have any idea what engine this is? VQ35DE...3.5 Liter V6, open deck block, forged rods (weak forging though), cast pistons, forged crank. Personal opinions? Ever heard of a compressor map?

Yeah, you'll also have greater lag, less power, and something to worry about when you go over a speed bump...

Old 05-16-2005, 10:16 PM   #12
<SSR>David
Banned

Do you have to compressor map? I would like to see it since I am learning how to read one.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 AM   #13
nissan350ztt
AF Enthusiast

APS uses a Garrett GT35R turbocharger.
Turbonetics uses a Turbonetics T60-1 turbocharger.

Common automotive knowledge tells you that the larger the turbo, the more lag time/longer it takes to spool the turbine; however, larger turbos have a greater power potential than smaller turbos. The smaller the turbo, the faster it will spool the turbine/the less lag time. (generally this is true, however there are other features that turbocharger companies can come up with to improve spool time on larger turbos and improve power potential on smaller turbos)

Here's a scenario...
Two cars, same exact type.

Two turbocharger, same exact size, one on each car (that are the same type)...mount one right after the exhaust ports, just enough room for a log-style exhaust manifold.

Mount the other further down towards the rear, under the car.

The one closer to the exhaust port, is going to get the most heat and thus have a faster spool time and less lag than the one mounted towards the rear, under the car, which will have more lag and take longer to spool.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 AM   #14
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Quote:
STS and Whipple? They don't make anything for the 350Z.

Do I have any idea what engine this is? VQ35DE...3.5 Liter V6, open deck block, forged rods (weak forging though), cast pistons, forged crank. Personal opinions? Ever heard of a compressor map?

Yeah, you'll also have greater lag, less power, and something to worry about when you go over a speed bump...
Whipple don't make a kit for a 350Z, but STS just might have one now as we speak.
I'm well aware what a 350Z is and I have a Whipple supercharger installed on mine. It's a custom install.
I'm also aware of compressors maps. All they tell you is the operating range of the compressor.
If the compressor map is sized right for the engine, and the turbine is sized for it's location, guess what? You'll have optimum power and minimal lag.
I'd be worried more about my crankcase and tramsmission than I would be the turbo's.
Also I think STS will offer both single and dual turbo kits.

And please explain the Cosworth engineers mounting a turbo 5' from the exhaust port. Were talking a $80,000 engine and for it's size one of the best.
Kinda blows your theory apart don't it.
Your scenario is correct, but nobody in there right mind would use the same turbo's for 2 totally different applications.
You better stick with buying kits and leave the engineering to those that understand the mechanics of it.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:31 AM   #15
nissan350ztt
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Turbo'd 350Z

Quote:
Whipple don't make a kit for a 350Z, but STS just might have one now as we speak.
I'm well aware what a 350Z is and I have a Whipple supercharger installed on mine. It's a custom install.
I'm also aware of compressors maps. All they tell you is the operating range of the compressor.
If the compressor map is sized right for the engine, and the turbine is sized for it's location, guess what? You'll have optimum power and minimal lag.
I'd be worried more about my crankcase and tramsmission than I would be the turbo's.
Also I think STS will offer both single and dual turbo kits.

And please explain the Cosworth engineers mounting a turbo 5' from the exhaust port. Were talking a $80,000 engine and for it's size one of the best.
Kinda blows your theory apart don't it.
Sure you do ...question though, why go to Whipple when they get their superchargers from Eaton?

They tell you boost pressure at a given RPM.

Transmission? APS has a heat shield for that...and Turbonetics isn't too close to the crankshaft...much less NO ONE has had any problem with the crankshaft related to F/I on a 350Z.

Doubt it, i'd like to see how STS runs a twin turbo kit 5' away from the exhaust ports on a car that sits ~5 inches off the ground (give or take a few inches)

Do what? I'm not concerned with what Cosworth does...i'm not even concerned with what STS is doing. I just stated that it is a bad business move for STS when the consumers can pick from the other two options that have better features than the STS will offer. (I guess you don't have common automotive knowledge...read my above post regarding turbo location and spool time)

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe