Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe Includes the VQ35DE, VQ37VHR - Z33 and Z34.
View Poll Results: Which car would you pick?
Infiniti G35 Coupe 210 75.54%
Nissan 350Z 68 24.46%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 12:23 AM   #1
igor@af
Your friendly AF Admin

Send a message via ICQ to igor@af Send a message via AIM to igor@af
Post G35 Coupe Debuts at 2002 NY Auto Show

Infiniti on Thursday, March 28, unveiled its G35 sport coupe at the New York auto show.

Infiniti will start building the G35 in Japan this summer, and sales begin in the fall. Pricing is expected to start at less than $30,000.

The G35 has a tuned 275-hp 3.5-liter, V-6 engine that produces more than 260 pounds-feet of torque.

A six-speed manual transmission will be standard. A five-speed automatic with shift mode will be optional.

Also optional will be a navigation system with a 6.5-inch retractable monitor.

The four-passenger G35 will come standard with 18-inch wheels.

Infiniti said the G35 will be marketed primarily at men, with a median age of 37 and a household income of about $100,000.

Competitors for the G35 will include the BMW 3-series coupe, the Acura CL and the Mercedes C230 hatchback.

Article by Gail Kachadourian

The car appears to have a very similar 'soul' to the new 350Z, having some design similarities, being about the same price, as well as similar specs. It is definately a great car, but let's just hope Nissan doesn't choke on having two models that will compete with each other.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:41 PM   #2
MadDog06
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MadDog06
Firstly, great looking car! Wish I had the $ to get one of those...
Now, a couple questions: 1) Is that an "oh shit" bar i spot just to the right of the center console, and why'd they put one there...? 2) Could someone please clear up for me the following: is the G35 the new Skyline, and if so, what is the GT-R R35 (and why does it look so much more like a Skyline)? There have been some things that are confusing me over this since a few magazine article's i've read are saying that the G35 is the new Skyline, yet this thing looks nothing like a skyline....
MadDog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 03:33 PM   #3
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Quote:
Originally posted by MadDog06
1) Is that an "oh shit" bar i spot just to the right of the center console, and why'd they put one there...?
From pics I've seen of the Japanese version, that's actually a pouch or slim storage compartment.
Quote:
2) Could someone please clear up for me the following: is the G35 the new Skyline, and if so, what is the GT-R R35 (and why does it look so much more like a Skyline)? There have been some things that are confusing me over this since a few magazine article's i've read are saying that the G35 is the new Skyline, yet this thing looks nothing like a skyline....
There is no R35 GT-R. "R34" was the deignation for the previous Skyline, and sequentially "R33" and "R32" came before it, so many prople are assuming the new one is an "R35." In fact, Nissan seems to be happy calling it "V35," but another point that lends to the confusion is the numeric "35" which seems to come as the next in line from the 32, 33, 34, but really it's being used as representative of the engine displacement (3.5L).

The GT-R nomenclature is currently suspended as well. Nissan Japan is still selling out the last of the R34 GT-Rs, but they have said that GT-R production will lapse for a few years. Perhaps there will be a triumphant return... () ...but we'll have to wait and see.

If you want more evidence that the G35 is the equivalent of the new Japanese Skyline, just take a peek at theirs:
http://www.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/V35/...SEN/index.html

Nice pics! That thing is going to sell like hotcakes!!!
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 06:51 PM   #4
JD_Spoon
AF Newbie

Quote:
Firstly, great looking car! Wish I had the $ to get one of those...
Now, a couple questions: 1) Is that an "oh shit" bar i spot just to the right of the center console, and why'd they put one there...?
On the G35 sedan, that's the slot for the DVD player for the navigation system. If you get one without that option, it's an extra storage slot. I presume the coupe will have this option as well, though I'm more interested in the 6-speed manual, sport suspension, aerodynamics, and AWD options when I order mine.

John David Spoon
Old 03-30-2002, 07:38 PM   #5
Vertigo
AF Regular

Since I am going to need a baby seat in the next couple of years I was hoping that infiniti would come out with a version of the 350z. All bets are off until I drive it, however I love what I see so far. Does infiniti exist in Japan or is it just a badge for us shallow Americans ?
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 08:18 PM   #6
JDMTUNING
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to JDMTUNING
Hey....

I'm acually interested in the new M45. Its basically the Nissan Cedric/Gloira/JDM luxo-boat. I liked the Q45 but it was waaaay too much $$$$. The M45 has the Q engine(340hp!!!!!!!!!! ) in a lighted and cheaper package.
AF Tofu Crew #10

Ryosuke Takashi
It's really 350 WHP
FC3S: Wop-wop-wop-wop
JDMTUNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 08:29 PM   #7
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Re: Hey....

Quote:
Originally posted by JDMTUNING
I'm acually interested in the new M45. Its basically the Nissan Cedric/Gloira/JDM luxo-boat. I liked the Q45 but it was waaaay too much $$$$. The M45 has the Q engine(340hp!!!!!!!!!! ) in a lighted and cheaper package.
You mean like this?
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...557#post377557
Old 03-30-2002, 10:12 PM   #8
MadDog06
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to MadDog06
Quote:
October 24th, Tokyo Auto Show is here, and the Nissan Skyline GT-R R35 Concept car has been unveiled! You can view the photos, read up on the latest info, and voice your opinion by going here.
Perhaps this link on the main page is also confusing... I know it's old, but can someone elaborate on this deal...?
MadDog06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2002, 10:37 PM   #9
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Perhaps this link on the main page is also confusing... I know it's old, but can someone elaborate on this deal...?
That was just a concept. There is some controversy over whether or not the GT-R concept was even a real car or not, or a good photoshop job instead. I never saw it. But there are pictures from the Tokyo show in which it looks real...

But a concept is still just a concept. Maybe it will get built, maybe not... In any case, the G35 coupe is on it's way, and that's a step in the right direction!
Old 03-31-2002, 06:00 AM   #10
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Damn, I go on vacation for a week and when I come back I miss the coming of such huge Nissan news! :buck: Oh well, all I have to say is, I'm satisfied that the G35 coupe can be easily differentiated from the sedan, unlike some counterparts out there. Oh yeah, and thank you Nissan for giving us more Japanese cars with bigger engines than available in Japan (M45); after years of envy, we're finally getting an edge over their home market.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 11:43 AM   #11
Hondahottie
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Hondahottie
just a bit of history for you guys... and some future insight on Nissan and the Skyline/GT-R series.

Back in the 60's, there was a car company named Prince. their flagship car was the Skyline luxury sedan. Nissan bought out the failing Prince Motor Company in the mid 60's (dont quote me on this, this is old history i learned at Nissan tech school, but have since started brain dumping). anyways, since Nissan already had the Gloria sedan lineup, they used the Skyline to fill both their Luxury Sedan and Luxury Coupe lineup and use it as a flagship as the Fairlady was considered a "cheap" sports car/roadster.

in the early 70's came the popularity of muscle cars, piqued by movies like American Graffiti, Bullitt, Gone in 60 Seconds. these glimpses at American muscle cars really changed Nissan's approach to sports cars. The Skyline GT-R made it's debut. surprisingly, it looks like a slightly smaller version of a Chevy Nova.

in the 80's, the popularity of the GT-R died for many reasons, gas prices, gov't regulation... etc. GT2000 was the "top of the line" available for Skyline trim. in the late 80's came a resurgence. at the end of the R31 production run, Nissan opted to develop a brand new motor and reintroduced the GT-R badge after almost 10 years. in 1990, the R32 GT-R was released with the RB26DETT motor.

now due to Nissan's failure to capture the North American market in the past 6 years, they've begun a restructuring. sports cars were out, sedans were in. now to boost their sales, they'r releasing their flagship across the pond to boost sales, as the popularity has reached almost cult status with the Skyline name.

to encourage this without too much gov't obstruction, they separated their Skyline lineup. back is the Skyline luxury sedan series, while the GT-R sports coupe has begun it's own lineup. the Skyline now begins with the V chassis code, and GT-R retains the R chassis code. two completely different cars. a return to their roots of the old Prince Skyline luxury sedan.

hence why the Skyline/G35 sedan and coupe is being offered alongside the R34 Skyline GT-R.
Hondahottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 10:53 AM   #12
CARS
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to CARS
Cool What a skyline is

:bandit: :smoka: :sun: :smoker2: :sun: For those of you who don't seem to get it, THe GT-R concept is a skyline. Remember Mrs. Goshn described it with references to "past GT-Rs" it just isn't called skyline because that name has been reserved for only theV35 sedans. If I read right in autofanatic magazine, The G35 coupe wil be called V35 GT, while the GT-R will be V35 GT-R without the skyline name because that name is what differentiates the sedan from the power coupes.
CARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 05:02 PM   #13
osama1234
AF Newbie

hey

where is the Sunroof!??:flash:
osama1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2002, 06:25 PM   #14
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

School's in! Although it was a bit excessive, thanks for the history lesson. I'm sure it enlightened those not in the know.

One thing I have to ask is, where have you confirmed that the next GT-R will use the "R" chassis designation? It seems to be the logical thing for Nissan to do, considering that they have already decided to split names (in VERY much the similar way the Celica and the Celica Supra became two different cars some time ago), but it just sparked my curiosity on whether or not it has been announced.

P.S. that overhead shot with the G35 coupe's HID lamps turned on is killer!
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 11:51 AM   #15
JB car pages
AF Newbie

In fact, the future designation of the GT-R is so far. In an interview with the designer I read, the concept was supposed to give a hint of what the future GT-R might look like. It is quite unlikely, the final car will look exactly like the Concept, just like the Z-Concept did not look like the production version.

For sure is, there will be a GT-R in late 2003 or early 2004. But even the designer could not tell, whether it will be called Skyline GT-R of simply Nissan GT-R, and if it keeps the previous "R" designation or gets the new "V". It seems to be sure, though, that the GT-R will get a V8 or a turbo-charged V6, so adapting the "V" designation seems to be the natural choice.

For more info on the concept:

http://www.jbskyline.net/V35/GTR/
JB car pages is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan 350Z/370Z | Infiniti G35/G37 Coupe