Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 PM   #16
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Re: Why doesn't mitsibishi compare the Evo to the STI?

should point out that the evo and sti wrx don't have an image in the states because you guys don't follow the world rally.

in the rest of the world, these two cars have a very strong image.
drunken monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #17
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Yeah I do believe that the clutch is a problem, while most EVO owners don't report major clutch problems, a substantial amount do. This problem I hope will be solved with the introduction of the 2005 models. Your correct about AWD being more abusive on the clutch, but clutch problems for other companies that utilize AWD such as Subaru and Audi are not really a big issue, so yes I have to admit, the problem lies with Mitsubishi. Also you say why doesn't Mitsubishi advertise the EVO against Subaru STI, well really, Mitsubishi doesn't really advertise the EVO period. For now they really don't need to, they are accomplishing their sale goals with out it. But if Mitsubishi ever plans to sell a lot more EVOs, a big advertsing campaign would be highly recommended.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:24 PM   #18
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

And Mitsubishi refuses to admit that there is a problem and repair the clutch when it dies at 3,000 miles. That's bullshit, and that's a sign of a bad company.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #19
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

300, I didn't mean that you said they were the bread and butter... I was just pointing out that fact, economics rules out over performance... look at Toyota... and we all criticize them, ha, I bet toyota's CEO and major shareholders are pretty happy w/ how things are going, and could care less about the demise of any car that wasn't making them enough$$$, or yen, or whatever. Hey, look at my car, Camaro, it too fell victim, though having a diehard following it wasn't economically justifiable. I'm just saying the commercial showcase the valuable cars... like you said, the altima for nissan. BUT... sports cars DO provide an image, the Corvette is GMs little flagship. When is the last time you saw an ad for a Corvette? But I have to say I see a lot more Corvette's around than EVOs or STI's.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:47 PM   #20
3000ways
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Why doesn't mitsibishi compare the Evo to the STI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1082
But I have to say I see a lot more Corvette's around than EVOs or STI's.
Yeah you do, and so do I. The Corvette has been around a lot longer, and they do out sale the EVO and STI and many other sport cars. No argument there. Still that doesn't make the EVO and STI a failure.
3000ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #21
Twyzz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Twyzz
I've only seen 3 evos and i dunno how many sti's. there is so many in my area it ain't no big deal having one lol
Twyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #22
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

Quote:
Hey, look at my car, Camaro, it too fell victim, though having a diehard following it wasn't economically justifiable.
Sure it was. The Mustang was outselling it about 3:1, and other sports coupes were outselling it by even more.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #23
Joseph1082
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Joseph1082

kman, you misread my post
"Hey, look at my car, Camaro, it too fell victim, and although having a diehard following it wasn't economically justifiable to produce" I omitted a few words the first time.
I was just saying the Evo and STi are niche cars like said earlier, the Corvette is more of a manstream sporty car, while the Evo anbd Sti are really for ethusiests only. You don't really know about these cars unless you know about cars.
Joseph1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 09:27 PM   #24
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: Re: Why doesn't mitsibishi compare the Evo to the STI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino
Actually the EVOs are not selling that well in the US. You can easily get a new one at around 27K USD when its msrp is 29K. It seems that mitsubishi got quite a bad rep nowadays. If you go to the evo us forums 90% of the guys swear they will never touch another mitsu again. It seems the dealer service is quite bad and that the USDM evo loves to blow clutches and the 5th gear syncro.

Not to mention that mitsu is going out of their way to void warranties. A guy in my local autox chapter is in litigation with them because aparently mitsu is activelly searching local racing clubs web sites to black list cars for warranty work. And this guy's son went only once and got blacklisted.

Good think I don't have a mitsu since I am listed on the same SCCA website.

On the handling grounds the USDM evo is still better than the USDM STI though. it seems that subaru messed up by using the same suspension specs for the USDM sti wich has a heavier engine and therefore a different ballance. Also I belive that subi is using a clutch type diff on the front axle which in my book is a big WTF...for the front the best choice imo is a torsen like on the USDM evo RS or just non USMD evos.
Mitsubishi in the US are crooks and nothing more, that which you described is just the tip of the iceberg. Considering that they hid safety recalls, did some EXTREMELY dodgy book keeping (According to them Enzo Ferrari bought a Mitsi in 1999), yeah basically the US franchise deserve every slap in the face they get from falling sales.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons