Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 10:29 AM   #1
Lee_J
AF Newbie

Turning a regular Bike into a Motor Bike (very interesting, read)

hey,
i was thinking one day... I was like, that would be cool if i could put a motor in that bike and make it go...

Is this possible? I want to put a motor in a regular bike, and be able to drive it....

Tell me if this is possible, and tell me what i'd have to do to make this come true...

It may sound dumb... But i think this would be cool to do.
Lee_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 10:46 AM   #2
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

I've done this years ago. Find a small, two stroke engine (weed-eaters/ small motorcycles/ and leaf blowers are good sources). Fab up a bracket in the "V" of the frame under the seat to mount the engine. I used a smaller sprocket pressed on the engine and the main sprocket was from a ten speed so the engine connected to the sprocket with the pedals and sprocket with the pedals was connected to the rear wheel. Get some front pegs to rest your feet on while the engine is running (so the moving pedals don't hit your feet, or you can pretend you're pedaling). Remove the starter rope from the engine and re-locate the ignition switch if neccessary. Move the throttle to the handlebar (a simple lever from a gear-changer off a ten speed will work) Now when you want the engine to do the work, simply switch the ignition on and pedal to start the engine!

P.S. Be careful starting the engine. While the kickover isn't enough to seriously hurt you, the pedals can spin around quickly and scrape your legs.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 12:53 PM   #3
Lee_J
AF Newbie

hey, do you have aim? because i need to talk to you about this, because i am gunna start on this project soon... thanks
Lee_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 02:57 PM   #4
enginerd
AF Enthusiast

No, but feel free to e-mail me at MAGNAFLUX@hotmail.com with questions.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote