Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Lancer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 03:14 AM   #1
iwantlancergsr
AF Newbie

Lightbulb clutchless automatic

i heard somewhere that the lancer gsrs come with clutchless automatic. is this true? like you have the automatic setup gearstick but move the gearstick to the right/left of the drive gear would give u clutchless manual. moving the stick up would change up a gear, pushing it down with change down. i like manual cars but when just driving around normally in the city, i like not having to bother with gears and such.
thanks
iwantlancergsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 11:41 PM   #2
Yogi_B
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Yogi_B
A lot of the new shape GSR's (96-) have a triptronic gearbox (got one in my lancer), but its still an auto except that you can change the gears yourself instead of the comp.
All the same disadvantages that come with an auto apply.
Yogi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:22 AM   #3
ericc2
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ericc2
The clutchless auto in question is found in the new evo7 GTA. I believe it is a true clutchless auto and not a "slushbox'. Recent reviews and my own test seems to indicate that response is immediate and there is little power loss. Most is probably due to the detuned engine rather than the transmission.

Overall a good car when you want a compromise between mad crazy GSR driving and a more comfy all-rounder.
ericc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 06:55 AM   #4
Yogi_B
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Yogi_B
The new GTA comes with the INVECS gearbox which is mitsi auto tranny, so no clutch in that car. Just an auto box.
Also when he says GSR, I think he's talking about the 1.8L turbo AWD models, basically baby evo's.
Yogi_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 01:35 PM   #5
littledagger
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to littledagger
Yes, I own a EVO VII GT-A and it is a new and improved INVECS gearbox... which is unbelievably responsive. I have never owned anything but manual.. and was very sceptical about getting my GT-A. Was not even able to test drive it. They had only 3 test driveable cars in japan. But when I finally broke in the motor, I got on the gears.. and the response was immediate.. just as fast as manual and yes, the is a slight power downgrade that is easily compromised with some easy add ons. You can down shift 1,2,3,4 gears at once if needed.. as long as you are not putting the engine above 7500 rpm which is what the rev governor is set at. The only problem I see with my car is that If I start to increase the HP and torque too much, I will need a serious overhaul on the tranny... whcih would have been much easier with a GS-R, but due to it being sold out in japan (backordered a year and a half).. I went with the GT-A which is allready sold out for the year.

Don't knock the GT-A until you tried it... ohhh wait, how many of you actually get to drive these cars.. most of you probably just 1, never drove one, or 2, lie about it..... sorry to those that have actually had the experience of driving the EVO VII GS-R/GT-A... RS and RS-2 entirely too stripped of comfort... not a pleasant street car....

another note... gas is ridiculous.. i get only 140 miles to a 12 gallon tank..
littledagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2002, 03:05 AM   #6
ericc2
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ericc2
DAGGER,

When you mention that the GSR (2.0 evo7, to remove all confusion) is backordered 1 1/2 years, do you also know how many units in total they will build?

Mine is no. 6500, or say it says under the hood. It is possible the 7 will be have the largest production run of all evos so far.

I think the GTA is a nice car but it looks a little too sedated.

Much like someone muzzling Tyson so he don't bite no more. The power is there but it doesnt look as scary
ericc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2002, 07:32 PM   #7
littledagger
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to littledagger
I think that they produced 10,000 EVO VII GSR's. but not exactly sure.. My car did look sedated, but i thge color is a dark blue with the carbon fiber hood (with hood scoops) which gave it back the aggressive look.. The only problem I have right now is that I dont want to put any of the bolt on parts that I got until I get it imported to the states, which is not happening until feb 03... I do NOT approve of the japanese limiter so I had to do away with that with a simple addition of a Rev Speed Meter.

Lttldggr
littledagger is offline   Reply With Quote