Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics Discuss different body kits, body work in general, and all types of exterior modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
comeoriginal
AF Newbie

Question shaving side skirts to rear quarters help

I had a question about what materials to use when shaving a fiberglass sideskirt to a steel rear quarter. I have it glazed already and ready for primer, but my concern is cracking due to body flex during driving and weather. I had used fiberglass resin gel to shave the sideskirt and is well over an 1/8th inch in thickness and am worried about it cracking after the paint is on and has been driven. is there anything i can use or do to make a strong and long lasting bond between the fiberglass and the steel, and as well as the sideskirts, the front and rear fiberglass bumpers are going to be shaved to the steel fenders and rear quarters, what could i use to make that strong and uncrackable as well. please help!!

Last edited by comeoriginal; 02-14-2005 at 04:28 PM.
comeoriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
mospeed1
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mospeed1
Re: shaving side skirts to rear quarters help

it will crack no matter how good you make it.if your bumper gets taped it will crack on the other side etc..
mospeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
comeoriginal
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeoriginal
I had a question about what materials to use when shaving a fiberglass sideskirt to a steel rear quarter. I have it glazed already and ready for primer, but my concern is cracking due to body flex during driving and weather. I had used fiberglass resin gel to shave the sideskirt and is well over an 1/8th inch in thickness and am worried about it cracking after the paint is on and has been driven. is there anything i can use or do to make a strong and long lasting bond between the fiberglass and the steel, and as well as the sideskirts, the front and rear fiberglass bumpers are going to be shaved to the steel fenders and rear quarters, what could i use to make that strong and uncrackable as well. please help!!
well for the front bumper i had fabbed a steel support for the whole bottom of the bumper to give it a lot of added strength and support, and a lot less stress on the fenders, so i think i should be fine from cracking the shave between the fender and the bumper, but what is it that i could use that would give a lot better bond than just fiberglass resin gel. would it be better if were actually lay fiberglass mat and lay the resin over that. just let me know what is going to be the best thing to use for what im doing. and the car is not going to be a daily driver, mostly a show car and a sunday driver.
comeoriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
Electronix_etc
AF Newbie

there's a composite shop close to me that makes this filler, 40 bucks for the tube which is specially made for bonding fiberglass scoops or shaving your bumpers in with the fenders so you have no body lines, etc. it is probably the only thing i would say that is better than fiberglass and it can be applied like and used as filler and everything since this filler is made in such a way that it would have flex to it once it dries, so if your sideskiers move a littlebit, the filler has some give to it so it would flex and absord the movements,, you just sand both surfaces with 80 grit sandpaper(for bonding assurity) and put sum of this filler on in the body lines and sand it, so you have to do no fiberglassing at all. just pile that stuff on, and sand it and primer and paint, email me at Electronix_etc@yahoo.comif you want a tube, i can ship one to you in about 3 days. And if you want more info about the tube filler feel free to drop a line.
Electronix_etc is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Exterior | Bodykits | Lighting | Aerodynamics