Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 2nd Gen 00-05
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Enilator
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2005 Dodge Neon SXT is DEAD!!!!

I would like to give alittle backgroud first. I had been having a weird idle issue when in drive and stopped, it will drop to around 500 RPM, unless i would hold the brake and goose it, then it would rev up then come back down and stay at 750rpm. That being said, no other issues were apparent. So it was parked Sunday night and would not start up Monday morning for work. My wife said it started for a few seconds then would die. She did this a few times before giving up. That evening I went out and looked at it and thought it was probably something silly and I would get it going easily. I am not new to mechanics by any means, but this one has me stumped. The car turns over and seems as though it wants to start, but it wont. If i push the gas pedal to the floor it seems to want to start (puttering as if it wants to start). I have replaced the spark plugs, Camshaft Position sensor, the Crankshaft Position sensor, the Throttle Position Sensor, the MAP Sensor, and even tried another coil pack with no luck. I checked and I am getting spark on all four cylinders and I also checked the fuel pressure and it sits at 55psi. It is not throwing any codes either, which just boggles my mind. At this point I have no clue what it could be nor does anyone I have spoken with. Oh, I also checked all the fuses inside and out with no luck there either. So the only thing I have left sensor wise that I have not tried new is the IAC, but I dont know if an IAC can cause a no start scenario. I am going to check tonight and see if the injectors are getting signal to fire, but I am thinking they are cause when I attempt to start it, it smells like gas. I am at a lose, any suggestions guys??
Enilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2005 Dodge Neon SXT is DEAD!!!!

If it smells like gas, I would check for spark.
aleekat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
Enilator
AF Newbie

I guess I must have forgot to add that, but i pulled all four plug wires and used the old spark plugs and stuck one in each wire and they are all firing.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
jpb53
AF Enthusiast

jpb53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Enilator
AF Newbie

Last night i pulled the fuel rail to make sure i was getting injector pulse. All four were spraying gas as the engine was cranked over. So at this point, I have spark and I have fuel, but it will not start. After some reading last night I read something about if you have both spark and fuel it is probably timing. SO, I went out last night and tore apart the engine to check the timing belt that I had replaced about 6-8 months prior, but everything was fine and it is still in time. At this point I am starting to get PI$$ED!! I am buyin a used computer to try because I dont know where else to go from here. Oh, also i check the computer ground and all the others I could find under the hood, but of course nothing changed. HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Enilator
AF Newbie

STILL NOTHING!!!! I purchased a used computer yesterday, but no luck. Today I bought a used fuel pump and still nothing. I used the tests on the website jpb53 recommended on the camshaft position (it is pulsing 5v when the crank is turned) and the coil to see if it has 10-12v, it had 10ish. I would test the signal to the coil from the computer, but I dont have a led tester so I will be getting one of these. I dont understand why I would need to test for a signal from the computer to the coil. The plugs wouldn't be firing if I didnt have signal from the computer right?? Oh, last night I also took off the IAC and used a finger to choke the vacuum coming from wherever that line runs too, but it made no change. I also unplugged the IAC and tried to start it. Whats wierder, last night it fired 3-4 times and would rev up and then die, I had only been getting the "trying to start" scenario. At this point I am starting to wonder if I have some wires bared somewhere causing signal errors or shorts to the computer?? I have never had such an issue with getting a vehicle running and I have worked on alot of cars. Im at a loss here.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
Enilator
AF Newbie

And it would be great if I could get some ideas from you all on what you think. After the coil signal test I am going to test the crank position sensor again and then my next best guess is to take the engine wiring harness off and throughly inspecting it for bare wires. I know I have seen cars that wont run if the temperature sensor is throwing a bad signal to the cpu. Could that be the case here possibly? Or are Dodge cars not like that?
Old 01-28-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Pok3y2
AF Newbie

Just wondering if you ever fixed your Neon? my son has a 2005 neon that is having the same problem!!! the mechanic can't even figure it out after 2 months!
Pok3y2 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 2nd Gen 00-05