Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:38 PM   #31
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to 92rs25th
Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

Will the turbo have sufficient back pressure as well to spool with the cat gone or will it be too free flowing and i'll only get like 2 lbs boost ?

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
2003 Subaru Legacy GT Limited.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX
1993 Mazda MX-3 ( Newest addition to my collection. )

http://photobucket.com/albums/y187/ohjiro
92rs25th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:18 PM   #32
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3smostwanted
WOW...ill read chapters 5-12 later!!!
Thats only the opening...Fuck with the 'ol man an you'll never get to sleep..just be careful what you ask..
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #33
k3smostwanted
Z Cars Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to k3smostwanted
Re: Re: 1986 300 Zx specs needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rs25th
Will the turbo have sufficient back pressure as well to spool with the cat gone or will it be too free flowing and i'll only get like 2 lbs boost ?
yeah you will be fine with the cat gone, just make sure you dont have problems with the policia, ese!!!

anyways, it may get "tinny" with the cat gone but i think you will like it. the Z31 has a very nice deep exhaust note. i wish i had a digital video camera so you guys could hear mine. i got a noise ordinance call last time i was cruising around but i was buddies with the cop so he was like rev it up again, just to piss them off. so i did.
ZedEx Crew Member #4
k3smostwanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #34
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Well with it running now with cat and muffler , I can't hear jack shit out the back , like barely a wisp of air so I think the muffler should hold it down enough to avoid noise violation. I'm all good for emissions too , got a emission buddy for 50 he hooks me up

I don't really need more boost , I just want the turbo to sound like an STi's turbo , Like a massive Wooosh.

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-15-2005, 10:37 PM   #35
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stephenp

yeah 3" straights and youll sound like a race car in no time and the removal of the cart will free the ponies up and you wont even lose any torque due to th turbos turbines they will actually allow boost to come on sooner and if you put 3" all manderal shell be so loud lol so so loud
loud pipes save lives
i must have saved a few with those on then lol
but yeah remove the cat and puit a pretty tip on there a 3" cone on her and new performance plugs wires cap and rotr and i bet you think its a new car
stephenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #36
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

I already bought a 3" intake filter x 10" long. I put some platinum plugs , working on fabbin up my msd 8 mm wires , measurements suck =D crimping is boring too. I will probably throw a 6al on it too sometime this weeked and cut the cat out. If I am going to run with no cat , then there really isn't a need to get 3" exhaust as there is less than half back pressure after removal. I will just get some upgraded muffler that will keep it silent. Probably get a hypertech rotor , msd cap if one is availiable for our cars and leave mods there for a while.

Also , Has anyone fabbed up some performance headers for the Z ? And...last but not least , Are the turbos upgradable ? Ie : Can we throw a t3 - t4 on ?

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #37
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

ok with your speedo not working welcome to the Z31 world lol comon problem its the control module box for it gets corroded connections its located under dash riht next to steering wheel on right you can clean it all iseen an article where some dude did it on z31.com or you can get anew one or convert the bastard i hate digital cant see shyt when the sun hits the biznitch lol ..... does it say you hve oil pressure ???

lol another common problem oil pressure sending unit

Past Z Car Crew

[The Enemy Of Your Enemy is Your Friend]

>>Keep Your Friends close : But Keep Your Enemies Even Closer <<
ExTrEmEDrIfT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:50 PM   #38
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

No , I got the dial system that says 0 - 145 , not the digital. The needle doesn't move anymore and I have no idea if it's cable driven or electrical drive motor for the needle on the speedo.

I heard the Z's were a electrical nightmare form a buddy of mine who used to own one. The oil thing seems to work fine as far as I can tell , lowest it's gone is like 20 psi on the gauge next to my boost read out.

All I know was I was doing about 35 and the bastard jumped up to 145 , then down to 80 then back up to like 120 and hit 0 and now 0 is where it stays all time.

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-15-2005, 11:53 PM   #39
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via MSN to ExTrEmEDrIfT Send a message via Yahoo to ExTrEmEDrIfT

well i would say its your speedo cable then might be loose or may need a new one

Past Z Car Crew

Old 04-15-2005, 11:57 PM   #40
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

and with good exhaust and intake modes and simple ignition timing youll be doing a nice whistle but the wioosh usually comes from a ball bearing tubo that spools up real quicjk and the woosh is from the throttle slamming shut and his blow off kicking in i believe..
but doe those and youll be whistleing a different tune and be as little restrictions as possible witht the exhaust
Old 04-15-2005, 11:59 PM   #41
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

yah that whooosh is a nice BOV get one of those SSQBOV and theyll hear it dump miles away lol pretty loud one the loudest i believe --- blitz makes it i think

Past Z Car Crew

Old 04-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #42
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92rs25th
I'm looking into buying a 86' turbo 3.0 v-6 datsun 300 Zx 5 - speed for 1500 and it's in almost perfect condition. I was wondering what some power specs are on the car and what are some pros and cons of the vehicle.

I'd appreciate the feedback , Thanks !
86T is 200hp at the flywheel...0-60, from my personal first hand experience in my 86T, is in the high 6's...1/4 mile time, I dunno...never took mine to the track. Sink ~$700 in it and you can be running with a 350Z easily. $1500 is a good deal. Get it. I'm on my 3rd Z31. Don't go to Z31.com...I used to love that site but it's just full of assholes now. You'll get a bunch of asshole, smart ass answers no matter what you ask on that site now...it used to be great. If you need anything, feel free to e-mail me...rmp5s1@excite.com...I'll help you out.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #43
92rs25th
AF Enthusiast

Well , I have a free weekend ahead of me so I will do a crap load of tinkering , first thing - Valve cover gaskets ! heh. Does anyone make chrome or anodized valve cover gaskets for this engine ? stock ones are ugly as shit -_- and the style is horrible to boot !

1992 RS Camaro 383.
2004 Mazda 6.
1984 Nissan 300 ZX

Old 04-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #44
stephenp
AF Enthusiast

heres a sight for an inexpensive boost controller and blow off valve if you would like...http://www.zeeyalater.net/mods.htm#booster
here is another way of doing the same thing in a different perspective(another way) you might wanna go this way
and if they are both to hard here is a non bleed off externally mounted spring wich is what i did and acheived a solid 12 psi of boost with no spikinghttp://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/techstuff/boost.htm
and notice they are all relativelty cheap and all are a different means to acheive the same goal at a fraction of a price and i now all though its hard to get the sweet spot of the spring it is prefered to me due to its like increasing the spring tension of the wast\egate spring itself as in not blocking or bleeding any air and start out small and work up and dont exceed 8 psi boost on stock engine without intercooler or cooling of some sort and high octane and if exceeding that injectors are also advisable...
i just said hell im going 12 and now im waitng to rebuild again....
Old 04-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #45
ExTrEmEDrIfT
AF Enthusiast

yah i made a ball and spring type manual boost controller and it only cost me $6 hardest thing to find was the damn ball bearing lol havent installed it waiting till rebuild

Past Z Car Crew

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)