Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:12 AM   #16
namoR
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to namoR
Re: 4-2-1 or 4-1 header? any difference in HP?

isnt there alot of fabrication with turboing a gs or rs cause im thinking of doin that myself. but dont i have to change to lower compression pistons and such.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
hellah fresh
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hellah fresh
Re: Re: 4-2-1 or 4-1 header? any difference in HP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namoR
isnt there alot of fabrication with turboing a gs or rs cause im thinking of doin that myself. but dont i have to change to lower compression pistons and such.

Well fabrication... yes a little bit hard and thats if you don't know what your doing. But you can buy yourself a turbo kit from hahns racecraft or star. But its better off buying the parts 1 at a time because that will save you alot of money. You can make yourself a good turbo kit for under $1000. if you wanted to. But as of right now im going all motor first.

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS -Red ****UPDATE**** My car is no more! R.I.P. 12/12/05

Mods: 420a DOHC equipped with: bored 54mm throttle, 2.5" cold air intake, 2.5 chrome headers, 2.5 Down Pipe, 2.5 resinator, 5" 2.5 flared muffler, 2.5 custom piping, Megan front & rear strut, Megan rear lower tie rod, Monroe Shocks, Aerospeed coilovers

Rollers: 18" TSW Throphy / Pirelli P7000 225/40/18
hellah fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #18
FourG63 97GST
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FourG63 97GST
anyway If I was to get a header it would 4-2-1
the design draws the gas out of the motor better.
my 2 cents
Old 05-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #19
---
AF Enthusiast

Buying the header if you plan on putting a turbo on later is a waste. You'll have to get rid of the header for the turbo.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #20
hellah fresh
AF Enthusiast

i can always sell the headers. =)

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS -Red ****UPDATE**** My car is no more! R.I.P. 12/12/05

Mods: 420a DOHC equipped with: bored 54mm throttle, 2.5" cold air intake, 2.5 chrome headers, 2.5 Down Pipe, 2.5 resinator, 5" 2.5 flared muffler, 2.5 custom piping, Megan front & rear strut, Megan rear lower tie rod, Monroe Shocks, Aerospeed coilovers

Old 05-16-2005, 10:43 PM   #21
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

hey hellah....does that 54mm throttle body make any difference performance wise?

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:12 AM   #22
hellah fresh
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthompson97
hey hellah....does that 54mm throttle body make any difference performance wise?
Yes it does help out a bit. It helps out on the mid-hi range rpm. I can feel a little pull. When i take off my car pulls a little but after it hits the 5-6k rpm you can really feel it. Also what i heard that helps and get high gains was the 60mm throttle by www.modernperformence.com But yes that 54mm helps. I got mine done from ebay for $40 dollars. You have take your old one out and send it in to them go get it bore out. The ebay id was conceptillusions. They did the work for me and also free powder coat form 6 different colors to choose from. But about that modern performence throttle... i heard alot of great reviews in dsmtuners.com. Everyone that bought the throttle said it pulls and it cost around $220 and for a better gain bore out your intake manifold to match the 60mm.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:14 AM   #23
hellah fresh
AF Enthusiast

Old 05-17-2005, 12:15 AM   #24
drewh4386
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drewh4386 Send a message via MSN to drewh4386 Send a message via Yahoo to drewh4386

Next on mod list.......after the turbo of course.

....It has been a LONG time...I want to move to FL or Japan.....
drewh4386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:16 AM   #25
Legionofone
AF Enthusiast

ok i have raced a manual GS eclipse... this is the rundown... my car... 1998 chrysler cirrus LXi V-6 auto... the power of my car is that i got aprox 180 horses now... so about 150ish to the wheels threw the tranny... ok but the power of my car is the first gear... (this little intro is leading up to something) it can beat any car off the line... and slam ur bawlz to the seat... now... i raced that eclipse with 140 HP and maby 120 to the wheels... and about 400 pounds less... now... i owned this eclipse off the line because of my great first gear but past that it sucks... he slowly gained on me and i lost the race because yalls car has much better top end... ANYWAY... go with the low end torque and u will win more races... if u stay in the right power bands... u will kill everything... also check were ur car makes the most HP/torque... when ur launching... shift from first and the highest torque... when u shift to 3rd go for somewere right in the middle and when u hit 4th-5th go for ur highest HP! will get the cleanest most powerful launch and will increase ur get up and go buy a ton... remember after that max HP/torque... ur loosing the power band GO FOR MORE TORQUE!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:29 AM   #26
hellah fresh
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 4-2-1 or 4-1 header? any difference in HP?

Soo 4-2-1 right? because all the cars i seen... all the websites like nopi.com and summit racing all i see are 4-2-1 headers. So im guessing the 4-2-1 will help out on torque so yeah thats my final choice. How did that Gs creep up on you? you know what mods he have? so mid shift on 3rd like around 5-6k? Well heres my setup ill give you the run down: 2 piece C.I.A. ebay, 2.25 piping, 5" 2.25 muffler, no catalytic converter just a 2.25 resinatior to take its place, 54mm throttle, F & R strut, R lower tie rod all Megan. So sound good so far?? ao all i need now is my Headers and sway bars and im done with stage 1.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 AM   #27
drewh4386
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drewh4386 Send a message via MSN to drewh4386 Send a message via Yahoo to drewh4386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionofone
he slowly gained on me and i lost the race because yalls car has much better top end
which is why I suggested a 4-1. The eclipse is going to suck of the line if its not a gst or gsx. Mainly a gsx. I had both a 4-2-1 and 4-1 and it still sucks off the line.

The realist quote from the movie was ....."it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.."

When racing, you are gonna be at full throttle most of the time. And I hope you don't race between 1k and 4k rpms...
Since you are street racing (or are you really drag racing?) your car is going to be always moving.....so when you recover off the line, torque is really not that big of deal. (it is, but not really) Hp is. Now dragging is a different story.

edit>
I say this because my friend has a sunfire gt that pulls away from me off the line like i'm walkilng. But as said I always get him in the strecth.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #28
---
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 4-2-1 or 4-1 header? any difference in HP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh4386
which is why I suggested a 4-1. The eclipse is going to suck of the line if its not a gst or gsx. Mainly a gsx. I had both a 4-2-1 and 4-1 and it still sucks off the line.

The realist quote from the movie was ....."it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning.."

When racing, you are gonna be at full throttle most of the time. And I hope you don't race between 1k and 4k rpms...
Since you are street racing (or are you really drag racing?) your car is going to be always moving.....so when you recover off the line, torque is really not that big of deal. (it is, but not really) Hp is. Now dragging is a different story.

edit>
I say this because my friend has a sunfire gt that pulls away from me off the line like i'm walkilng. But as said I always get him in the strecth.

How could you quote such a shitty movie? :/

Torque is a pretty big deal actually. I raced an Integra with header and exhaust, which gives him about 10 more hp and maybe 5 more lb ft of torque. So he has 10 hp over me, but Honda/Acura motors suck so bad in the torque department that I beat him by a couple of cars. Torque is a not a nonfactor.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #29
drewh4386
AF Enthusiast

intergras are lighter also. And yes that was a qoute was from the movie, but it applies to everything.

and like i said if you a grandma and race between 1-4k rpms THEN YOU NEED TORQUE!!

put like this.

peak torque at a higher rpm will give you more horse power. your car moving is horsepower. Your engine can make torque in netural.

Last edited by drewh4386; 05-17-2005 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #30
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewh4386
intergras are lighter also. And yes that was a qoute was from the movie, but it applies to everything.

and like i said if you a grandma and race between 1-4k rpms THEN YOU NEED TORQUE!!
Well a lot of times what happens when I end up racing someone is when you are rolling at like 30-40 mph and then take off, you need that torque to get you to the higher rpms. Racing is not always off the line. Go with the 4-2-1 and disregard anyone saying that you shouldn't worry about torque. Torque and hp are nearly equally important, with a slight edge to hp on our cars. Always strive for more hp, but when you can pick up the torque, don't hesitate. Just look at any of the old muscle cars, a good majority of them have more torque than hp, and they are fast as hell. Just need a few more gears....

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic