Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 06:14 AM   #1
discoz
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to discoz Send a message via AIM to discoz Send a message via Yahoo to discoz
Question need hlp prepping for a cross-country trip

Hey guys and gals,
I've been reading these forums for awhile and never posted until now. You guys seem to really know your cars and I figured this would be the first and best place to ask a few questions. Bear in mind, I don't know much about cars, just the basics.. but here goes:

I'm driving my car accross the country and back this summer in a 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe. The car has 113k on it and runs decently well. However a friend of mine suggested that I take it to a mechanic and have them look a few things over before the trip.

What parts of the car should I ask the mechanic to inspect?

also, I've taught 4 different people how to drive in my car and the clutch has taken quite a beating. I've driven 70k on the clutch and although it still feels fine, I've been told I should change it "just in case."

Your thoughts?

Any suggestions and comments as to what I should have the mechanic take a look at and/or replace would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time... (assuming anyone responds :P)

-Disco

PS: Off topic, but is anyone going to QuakeCON in Texas this August? (that's where I'm going :P)
discoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 10:11 PM   #2
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
I wouldn't worry too much about putting an extra 5000 miles on your car - you'd do it soon enough anyway. I assume you've been taking care of all the scheduled maintenance?
Old 07-14-2002, 11:46 PM   #3
discoz
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to discoz Send a message via AIM to discoz Send a message via Yahoo to discoz
Unhappy

Yes i've followed the maintenance schedule by the book but the car has had some unexpected problems from time to time. I bought it used two years ago and the woman who had it before me took very bad care of it, she IGNORED a recall on the throttle cable and the car drove pretty bad for the first month I had it until I took it to the Honda service center. The guys who worked on the car were like... umm.. this car's been abused. So far its been alright for me, minus a new manifold, waterpump (went at 72k), but considering I don't know what else could go wrong, I'm asking around.

Also, the mechanics in my area are all putzes, if I say... "inspect my car" they're going to look at it for about 5m, say "it looks fine" and give it back to me. Unless I specifically tell them what to do, they won't do it.

Thanks.

-Disco
discoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 10:18 AM   #4
ivymike1031
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ivymike1031 Send a message via Yahoo to ivymike1031
If you don't have any specific complaints about the vehicle, there isn't much a mechanic can do. If your car as bad as you say it is, then get an unlimited mileage rental for your trip.

The throttle cable "recall" was not technically a recall, it was a customer satisfaction issue (gas pedal movement would feel rough or notchy). I ignored it for my '97, because there wasn't a noticable problem (and the less the dealer touches the car, the longer it will run, IMHO).
Old 07-16-2002, 07:43 AM   #5
higgimonster
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by ivymike1031
(and the less the dealer touches the car, the longer it will run, IMHO).
haha. very good point
Old 07-16-2002, 11:05 AM   #6
BeEfCaKe
AF Enthusiast

If it ain't broken, don't replace it =)

Just do basic maintenance before u go... maybe change oil, filters... no need to worry so much...
BeEfCaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

do a service on it if one is approaching time. if not, just check oil, coolant, water etc. levels.