Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
jumpytoad
AF Newbie

Need help with current draw

New battery goes dead in 1-2 days. Put amp meter to check current draw which would occilate between 170 and 220 milliamps and proceeded to pull fuses until the culprit was found. Fuse is marked wipers/ VAMPS. What is VAMPS? Interestingly, the battery would not start the car this morning after being charged yesterday. I left the offending fuse pulled overnight and the current draw was .01 miliamps overnight. Is my new battery a dud? 170 to 220 milliamps doesn't seem like enough current draw to discharge a new battery that quickly. Any help is greatly appreciated
jumpytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Need help with current draw

Are you sure the circuit is labeled with "VAMPS" and not "VAPS?" My Taurus SHO has VAPS - Variable Assist Power Steering, but I'm not familiar with VAMPS. What year is your Taurus? It may or may not have VAPS.

Did you put the other fuses back in to verify that that is the only circuit that is causing the large current draw?
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #3
65comet
AF Enthusiast

My 98' got rear-ended. It was just enough that the trunk ajar was barely making contact. But at night when it got colder, the switch would open and the light inside the trunk would come on. Took forever to figure that one out. Happened to leave the back seats folded down and glanced out the window late that night and saw the glow from the trunk light. Just to show you that overnight, there can be something else causing the draw.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
apterex
AF Newbie

Hi just discovered the same problem on my 97 Taurus for a quick fix I have pulled the battery saver relay which has stopped the current draw while still having the wiper fuse in to operate wipers etc. I'm going to pull the wiper module out and then the VAPS module to try and isolate the current draw. Did you have any luck in isolating the problem?
apterex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #5
jumpytoad
AF Newbie

It ended up being a bad battery from Tire Kingdom. I should have known better when the new battery failed to start the car after initial installation. But, it was a good lesson I won't soon forget.
jumpytoad is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon