Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Eldorado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
lavaland
AF Newbie

Talking Is anyone out there?

I bought my white 1985 Eldorado Bairritz on Thanksgiving Day 2000, sort of on impulse. I had wanted one like it for some time, and though I knew I could be into a “Money Pit” (Having owned a 1963 Olds 98) I did not know the particular problems of this car, i.e. engine size etc. When I told people what I had bought there first words were “Oh No!” It looked good for being 16 years old and I was buying it from the original owner (a Paraplegic from Redondo Beach CA). He had moved the car to Hawaii as a vacation car for when he was here 4 months a year.

The rest of the time it was stored at a private home and sometimes used by the residence. It had 107,000 miles. They wanted 4,000 for it, I paid 2,000. I called the owner in Redondo, he said he has had no major problems with it, that is a good sign, I think. I plan to keep it covered and use it once a week or so. I live out in the sticks, 50 miles from the nearest town (Kona Hawaii). It needed some repairs right away, (2,000 worth) So far I do not regret my purchase ( I vowed not to) I always said before I die I want one, so I guess now I can die! I would appreciate any advice on this car, do’s & don’ts etc.

Richard

1985 Biarritz
lavaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 02:27 PM   #2
Hudson
Old Mod

I believe the 1985 Eldorado had the 4.1L "HT4100" Cadillac OHV V8 (similar to the gas engines used in all Cadillacs of that era except the Cimarron...and of course the 4.1L V6, V8-6-4, and 350cid engines) and was attached to the GM TH325-4L 4-speed automatic transmission (same as the ones found in the Buick Riviera and Oldsmobile Toronado).

Nobody I've ever heard from raves about this engine, although it was in production for about 15 years in different forms (4.1L, 4.5L, 4.9L) and in power outputs up to 200hp. The Eldorado 4.1L version, though, only produced about 120-130hp.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2002, 10:35 AM   #3
lavaland
AF Newbie

Unhappy 4.1 Engin for Eldorado

HI,

Yes, I have been told about the engine. It is a shame, but it seems OK of a flat surface. I live where there are a lot of hills and mountains, my Eldo does not like them at all! I have been told to keep the coolant & oil changed, that will help a lot. I was also told that the gutless wonder might do better if the computer codes are set right. I have the service manual but have not attempted to look at the on board computer yet. I am a bit scared of it. I was told to go to the dealership, they have been less than enthusiastic about working on such an old car. I love driving it; it is an extra car so I only take it out once a week or so.

Richard

1985 Biarritz
lavaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 11:08 PM   #4
IceHeart400
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to IceHeart400 Send a message via AIM to IceHeart400
Well.... The HT 4100 is a motor that's a gamble. They hold up relatively well, as long as you never let them get hot. The 2 things that are considered a magnificent investent, a temp gauge, and some increased cooling. If you change out the radiator with a more efficient one, get an increased effectiveness cooling fan, and keep an eye on that water pump, you should be just fine. But if you live in an area with a lot of heat, (Like FL) just save as much cash as you can, string that motor as long as you can, wait for it to crump, and then take the late 80's Toranado's motor, a 307 as I recall, or 305, drop it in, and enjoy a motor with parts that are dirt cheap to fix. The 305 isn't amazingly impressive, but it's a workhorse that will get the job done quite nicely for you, and from my understanding, bolt up rather easily.
IceHeart400 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > Eldorado