Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 AM   #1
Gerber
AF Newbie

Question Street Legal Antique Question

Hi, new here but not the place for intro's so I'll just fire off my question.

BACKGROUND
My dad bought a 1954 Ferrari 375MM from someone in Argentina a couple years back. We got it all fixed up but had some troubles at the track and it became one of those; one trouble leads to another and to another and to another and... (you get the point)

We decided to make some minor changes for stability and safety. (ie: modernize some wiring, fuel cell which makes the car much less explosion prone) Most of the guts are the same though.

He has a 360 Challenge car that he uses exclusively on the track now and I think he wants to use the '54 375MM as a casual driver and for concourse/rallies.

QUESTION
Does anyone know what we need to have done to make this car street legal? It must vary from State to State but any basic rules of thumb? I assume it needs proper indicator lights, windshield wipers and such, but are there emission requirements for these oldies? I think I recall that an antique like this needs to pass what was required back when it was produced...

Anyway, if anyone has info or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Look forward to spending some time discussing cars with you all in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Gerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #2
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Re: Street Legal Antique Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerber
Hi, new here but not the place for intro's so I'll just fire off my question.

BACKGROUND
My dad bought a 1954 Ferrari 375MM from someone in Argentina a couple years back. We got it all fixed up but had some troubles at the track and it became one of those; one trouble leads to another and to another and to another and... (you get the point)

We decided to make some minor changes for stability and safety. (ie: modernize some wiring, fuel cell which makes the car much less explosion prone) Most of the guts are the same though.

He has a 360 Challenge car that he uses exclusively on the track now and I think he wants to use the '54 375MM as a casual driver and for concourse/rallies.

QUESTION
Does anyone know what we need to have done to make this car street legal? It must vary from State to State but any basic rules of thumb? I assume it needs proper indicator lights, windshield wipers and such, but are there emission requirements for these oldies? I think I recall that an antique like this needs to pass what was required back when it was produced...

Anyway, if anyone has info or can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Look forward to spending some time discussing cars with you all in the future.

Thanks in advance!
Most states exempt cars registered as "classic" though the age the vehicle needs to be to classify as such varies som, but most states use 25-30 years old and older for classic registration.
A car must have to be street legal of course, lights, blinkers, brake lights, horn (most states), bumpers (many states) and windshield and wipers.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 09:59 PM   #3
Duesey
AF Newbie

Re: Street Legal Antique Question

For the most part, a vintage car exempts you from many of the rules that are commonly associated with newer cars. Even a car like a 375MM, which is largely a racecar, can be used on the road. For one thing, no state requires you to have all the necessary lights and bumpers, since this would possibly destroy the historical significance of the vehicle. Instead, you can use your hands for turning signals and the bumpers, well, don't run into anything. I'm a pretty sure though that the only reason you might be stopped for driving around a car like that is b/c things like that are so beautiful that the officer might want to admire it up close!
Duesey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars