Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

Unhappy 2.7 fuel injector problems

The problem is with the fuel injection on my 00' 2.7 prerunner tacoma. Everytime the oil is changed the fuel injectors clog up for some reason. i frequently use fuel injector cleaner in my tank as directed and it still happens. Ive heard this happens because the oil is too thick causing the engine to work harder, the oil i use isnt too think its just a little thicker than recommended, i bought the car through a dealer, it came from florida and i have no clue who the previous owner was to ask them. it has a k&n filter and a tornado, it runs great even with its 120k miles, its like new, except for when i change the oil and it starts to act up on me, white smoke from the muffler and gasoline literally pours from the muffler, i cant find new injectors anywhere, i ordered some once but had to return them because they didnt fit.

Does anyone know why the fuel injector acts up or how to fix it?
tacoma_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Shredhead
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2.7 fuel injector problems

Have You looked at your spark plugs, cuz it doesn't sound like your having problems getting gas into your engine if you have it coming out your muffler and spark plugs are easily fowled especialy if they havent been changed in say 120k miles.
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Does the problem go away after changing the oil? Are you adding fuel injector cleaner when the oil is changed?

Using heavier oil will not affect the injectors. Your injectors are probably ok since you say the engine runs well until the oil is changed.

In cool weather white smoke from the exhaust is normal when a cold engine is started. The liquid coming from the exhaust is condensation. All this goes away after a few minutes of warm up.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2.7 fuel injector problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredhead
Have You looked at your spark plugs, cuz it doesn't sound like your having problems getting gas into your engine if you have it coming out your muffler and spark plugs are easily fowled especialy if they havent been changed in say 120k miles.

i changed the spark plugs and cables, it happens right after i put in the new oil with a new filter.i use fuel injector cleaner every oil change like instruced but it does it anyway. its not white smoke from the cold weather because here in puerto rico its about 87 to 95 degress ferenheit all year round. its defenitly gas pooring because i smelled it in addition to trying to just drive it like that, and the gas gauge when down 1/4 just going around the block. ive taken it to mechanics and they couldnt fix it either. it goes away after about a week and reseting the computer by disconnecting the battery, i had my computer checked and there was nothing wrong.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
Flash75
AF - Advisor

I didn't realize where you are when I replied. I assume you have checked that the cleaner you are adding is oxygen sensor safe. I believe I would not add the injection cleaner at the next oil change and see what happens. That fact it clears up after after about a week indicates the fuel injector may be the ptoblem, most of the injector cleaner would have run through the engine in a week.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Last sentence of my last post should read:
"The problem clearing up after about a week indicates the fuel injector cleaner may be the problem, most of the injector cleaner will run through the engine in a week."

Clifton
Old 03-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

yea but, it started doing it before i even used fuel injector cleaner, i started using it about 2 oil changes ago to see if it would eliminate the problem but it didnt.
Does anyone know where to get fuel injectors for a 2.7 cuz here in PR they charge me an arm and a leg for them and JCwhitney sent me the wrong ones.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to tacoma man.

have you ever changed the fuel filter?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma man.
have you ever changed the fuel filter?
i did that after the first time it happened, 3 changes ago. Last time it happened i took out each injector and them one by one and the fuel rod too.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

the only thing that i could think of.....other than your injectors would be were ever your buying gas at has something in the tank. what does the stuff look like thats got them clogged
Old 03-25-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

Quote:
the only thing that i could think of.....other than your injectors would be were ever your buying gas at has something in the tank. what does the stuff look like thats got them clogged
dirt, which is weird cuz i dont go off-road. what im thinking of doing soon is take out the gas tank and clean it out
Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

thats no good.....what kind of k&n intake does it have. is it the one with the tube and the round cleaner on the end? or just a drop in the factory air box type of filter? somehow dust is getting into the engine
Old 03-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
Flash75
AF - Advisor

There are several related links in this forum that provide fuel injector service. Or you can do a Google search for fuel injectors or fuel injector reconditioning. Some in this forum are;
www.suncarb.com
www.accurateis.com
www.witchhunter.com
I have not used any of these services so I cannot say how good their service may be.
You can also check the web sites of Advance Auto, Autozone or NAPA and see if they can ship injectors to you.

Clifton
Old 03-30-2005, 08:15 AM   #14
tacoma_dan
AF Newbie

Quote:
thats no good.....what kind of k&n intake does it have. is it the one with the tube and the round cleaner on the end? or just a drop in the factory air box type of filter? somehow dust is getting into the engine
Its a drop in factory airbox type. Do you suggest changing the air filter? Whoever had the car before me put it on, I service it how im soppose to but maybe the previous owner didnt, should i change it?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #15
tacoma man.
AF Fanatic

well a K&N is sopposed to last a very long time, there is a formula made by k and n that you spray on the filter and it cleanes it. i was looking on thier web site and all thier air filters are, is thick cotton, then soaked in the red tinted formula that keeps dirt out of the engine, so that told me that they cant be no good. id just try me a purolator or fram filter, if its like my stock airbox they cost 11 or 12 bucks. then that way you could rule out whats happening

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma