Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 02:17 AM   #1
freemanteo
AF Newbie

Smile a high miles used wagon or low miles salvage title?

Hi yall, on a budget of 5 grand, i have decided on some models, that i would need advice on.

Basically looking at reliability and cheaper oem parts in the long run. Wear and tear is inevitable.
I am looking at wagons or suv, need space for hauling, and i like some power (min 200hp)

04-06 volvo v50 or v70 T5 2.5 turbo.
04-06 volvo xc70 or xc90.

04-06 saab 9-5 wagon

03-05 VW passat or jetta wagon 1.8T/ 2.0T

04-06 subaru forester xt 2.0 turbo.

05-07 dodge magnum RT 5.7 hemi

08-09 chevy hhr rs 2.0 turbo

Above cars except the hhr and magnum, for 5 grand, mileage be 120k to 180k.

Or buying a wrecked car with salvage title with low miles? No flood or electrical issues, i may try looking for one that was hit on the back. I be viewing the wrecked car before being repaired to see the true extent of the damage.

thanks for any advice.
daniel
freemanteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:12 AM   #2
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Re: a high miles used wagon or low miles salvage title?

The Volvos and the Saab you mentioned are definitely good options, however for less than $5k I would be a little skeptical about why they're that cheap.
The VWs seem perfectly reasonable for about $5k being over a decade old and all.
The Dodge Magnum with a 5.7 hemi will definitely put you over budget, but it's pretty cool for a station wagon. Just be prepared to spend big bucks on fuel.
Avoid the Chevy HHR... I've never heard anything good about them. I'm sure there's a good reason they were discontinued in 2011.
As far as the salvage title thing goes, be careful... you'll really want to get a good look at the car. Not just from the outside, but from under the car as well. Check the frame and make sure it's not warped or stress cracked, alignment all around, suspension components, and make sure that whoever is rebuilding this car really knows what they're doing and doesn't cut any corners. You may just want to stick with accident-free cars, because salvage cars can turn into real headaches.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
freemanteo
AF Newbie

Thanks mike.

I didnt know the hhr was problematic.

The xc90 has 3 varients, t5 t6 v8. Read that the only bulletproof is the t5. Old proven straight 5 and mated to one of the best transmission maker Aisin.
Most Electrical problems were in the 2003-2004.

I liked a subaru forester xt, but not many 10yr olds in the market in texas.

Guess its between xc90 t5 or dodge magnum hemi.

Beside the magnum as a gas guzzler, are the wear and tear parts aplenty and reasonably cheap? The hemi engines are bulletproof too, but i need to read up on the transmission.
Old 03-09-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
tonysilva530
AF Newbie

If the choice came down to the XC90 and the Magnum, I would easily choose the XC90.

The 5.7L Gas Guzzling Hemi Magnum is actually capable of getting better gas mileage than the less powerful Volvo engine, it's the Hemi owners whom feel they have to stomp the gas pedal every time they see a sports car which has caused all the Gas Guzzler conversations to take place. Both vehicles weigh about the same, but it is the less powerful T5 engine that has to burn more fuel to accelerate and maintain it's vehicle mass.

With that being said, the Hemi Magnum original MSRP was $30,000.....for that much money the buyer was paying a large chunk of it towards a powerful engine, a strong transmission, some creature comforts and all the "Hemi Hype".

The Volvo original MSRP was higher than the Magnum by quite a bit.....and for that price, the buyer was getting a luxury vehicle to rival SUV's built by BMW, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc...

The magnum, in my eyes is a basic American car with a powerful engine that may give a thrill ride every time the gas pedal is slammed to the floor.....but it doesn't offer much more than that.......while the XC90 is a comfort vehicle in a class way above the Magnum.

Taking into account a resale purchase price of these vehicles:
Excellent examples of the Volvo could be had for $5,000 where as an Excellent example of a Magnum could be had for twice as much as the Volvo.
tonysilva530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:44 AM   #5
freemanteo
AF Newbie

Thanks for your advice tony.

A turbocharged vehicle is waaay cheaper to increase power compared to a normally aspirated engine.

Tuning and or putting in a rebuilt turbo with new bearings or a hair bigger turbo whilst keeping engine stock.
A supercharger for the hemi or changing all the components to 6. 1 is not cheap.

Was browsing people comparing xc90 to a touareg, seems touareg is heavier, 5 seater, smaller boot space but with updated looks design in and out.

Hope my thread has helped other noobs haha.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General