Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Elise/Elise Tuning
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
noshun
AF Enthusiast

Re: elise stats

irod? what crawled up your ass and died? Yuo got csome problems, losing it so easily when anyone says the slightest little thing negative about the S2 elise, and F.Y.I my favourite of the Elise based cars was the S1 Exige with the V.H.P.D motor. You seem to hav eanger management problems, I did give up contesting what you had to say because it's clear that there's only one point of view you value which is your own. Always cutting up S1's when if you think about the S2 wouldn't exist without it. Before you said that the Catherham 7 was crap, but without the Lotus 7 on which it is based, Catherham buying the right off of Colin Chapman, the Elise probably wouldn't exist as without the 7 Lotus would have gone bacnkrupt as they so nearly did. The 7 is uncomfortable because Chapman didn't care about driver comfort, he cared about winning and that's just what he did. The S1 Elise was a quick car that was brought out to stop Lotus going bankrupt. The Esprit was their only car and was so old that the sales where apalling and they were losing money daily. The Rover K-series engine was the perfect fit at the time as it was easily obtainable in large numbers. The initial reason Louts used the Toyota lump was because it was an engine made available to them that had passed the B.S. federalisation laws owing to the fact that most Americans don't even know what a dipstick is let alone how to check the oil. So an Engine has to go 100,000 miles without blowing up under some stupid regulations. The 8mph bumpers are for rubbish American drivers that are likely to hit your car pulling into a parking spot, or at a stop light. Reliability and comfort shouldn't be part of a sports car, the more comfortable and reliable a car get the more comprimised it gets. Comprimise doesn't = as fast as it could be. I do like the S2 Elise and think it's a great car but there are plenty of other cars I'd rather own. After all driving a car that is made to go around corners prefectly may be fast but fun? I've driven plenty of cars in plenty of places and fun can come in many shapes and forms, Lift-off oversteer in a Cavalier, going around a roundabout on 3 wheels in a Fiat Cinquecento, Driving thru the Cuban Country side in a Suzuki Vitara or just playing hooligan in a classic Mini Clubman 1275GT. A lot of people could find immense amounts to fault all of the above on many things but you know what, each and every one of those vehicles has a huge place in my heart as one of the best moments of my life. The Car doesn't make the man, the man makes the car. Give me anything with 4 wheels, even 3 wheels and I'll find countless ways to have immeasurable amounts of fun in it. That's what it's all about not sitting there saying "My car can pull one piont zero six gee's in lateral grip" that makes you sound like a nerd. But "Holy crap did you see how sideways I was and how close I came to hitting that tree?" that is what makes me feel a live, not a bunch of numbers on a page taken in test conditions. The Elise is a great car form a great manufacturer but have you ever put spacesaver spares on the back of a fwd car and ripped it around? That could be a $500 car with some scrap wheels on it and that really will put a huge smile on your face!

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
Old 03-05-2006, 06:42 PM   #17
irod
AF Newbie

LOL, I didn't "lose it" I just thought that comment was ridiculous. Anger management problems? Let's see who has the anger management problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
Americans don't even know what a dipstick is let alone how to check the oil. So an Engine has to go 100,000 miles without blowing up under some stupid regulations. The 8mph bumpers are for rubbish American drivers that are likely to hit your car pulling into a parking spot, or at a stop light.
I'm sorry my friend but you're also a BIGGOT. You have much worse things to worry about than some forum posting or anger management. And I'm not American, in case you thought I'd be offended by that.

Quote:
Always cutting up S1's when if you think about the S2 wouldn't exist without it. Before you said that the Catherham 7 was crap
I never said such things. Those are some GREAT cars and I love them. Are you kidding? I just said the S2 is way better than the S1, and that the Catheram wasn't a good compromise for a regularly driven car. You're not only a biggot, but also a liar. Oh my... Who's got the problems here?

Quote:
F.Y.I my favourite of the Elise based cars was the S1 Exige with the V.H.P.D motor.
Good for you, I'm sure you have your reasons, and it's a great car, aside from it's fuel consumption and reliability problems. But I doubt you've even driven the new Elise/Exige derivatives, since you live in Canada and they don't have them there. Of course, now you'll probably say you have.

Quote:
The initial reason Louts used the Toyota lump was because it was an engine made available to them that had passed the B.S. federalisation laws
If that were the only reason, they would have gone with a GM engine. They already had contracts with GM, and were already building Elise-based GM cars in the factory, remember? But no, they didn't like that engine enough because it's torque band did not match the optimal Elise application they were looking for, so they shopped around until they found the perfect match in the Toyota-Yamaha codeveloped 2ZZ-GE. They liked it so much in fact, that they begged and begged and went back over and over again to Toyota to convince them to let them use it, until they did, and it was a match made in heaven.

Quote:
Blah, blah blah
Oh please, spare us the history lesson. We all know how it went on and why each car was built the way it was. I never said any of the cars you list were bad, or that they didn't save Lotus. Your comments are just irrelevant.

Quote:
Reliability and comfort shouldn't be part of a sports car, the more comfortable and reliable a car get the more comprimised it gets.
Exactly. I agree. But I also am of the opinion that I'm not going to drive a go-kart with no windshield to work everyday. Or that an Ariel Atom or a Radical is a better sports car than a Carrera GT. In that sense, I think the S2 Elise is the best all around sports car of the ones we've been discussing. There's nothing wrong with having one of the best handling cars in the world that's also quick, reliable, and comfortable enough to drive daily to work, and be able to take detours when coming back home once in a while, just to enjoy the essence of driving.

Quote:
Comprimise doesn't = as fast as it could be.
It's strange though, because you seem to like all the slower cars (S1 Elise, 340R, etc.) more than the S2, yet now you argue about "as fast as it can be?" It's funny how you contradict yourself! Me? I don't care about "as fast as it could be". I care about the best all around driving experience, with an emphasis on handling and acceleration.

Quote:
I do like the S2 Elise and think it's a great car but there are plenty of other cars I'd rather own.
That's the stupidest argument I've ever heard. What, you think I'd rather own an Elise than a Zonda or a CCR or an FFX? What a stupid, irrelevant point.

Quote:
I've driven plenty of cars in plenty of places and fun can come in many shapes and forms.
I agree. But overall, there's hardly any car as fun to drive as the Elise. If you disagree, that's your opinion, but the automotive community in general agrees with me. Grab any single review of the Elise by anyone, or ask someone who's driven one, and there's just no production car that comes close to the overall fun and experience of driving one of these things. Sure, if your definiton of fun is driving an 18-wheeler trough a race-track, or wrapping a minivan around a tree, you might not find the Elise very "fun" in your opinion. Again, irrelevant.

Quote:
That's what it's all about not sitting there saying "My car can pull one piont zero six gee's in lateral grip" that makes you sound like a nerd.
I'd rather sound like a nerd, than an idiot (and a biggot at that.) It's not all about trashing a $500 POS around for "fun". Some of us actually care about car performance, dynamics, tuning, and performance driving. To you, all the people creating these cars and displaying such creativity and genious engineering would be just "nerds". That's fine with me.

Quote:
The Elise is a great car form a great manufacturer but have you ever put spacesaver spares on the back of a fwd car and ripped it around? That could be a $500 car with some scrap wheels on it and that really will put a huge smile on your face!
Yes, I have, and it's lots of fun. But hardly as much as driving my Elise trough the twisties. That's something that puts a smile upon my face every single day of the week on the way to work and back, and I appreciate that in a very big way.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
noshun
AF Enthusiast

You really need to re-read every post you have made in this thread and then say that they don't all read as "I know best" every word, every line. You posted in a thread that was completely dead just to disagree with a post i made in December 2004!!! You can call me a biggot, fact is that out of every person I have met from the U.S, I have only liked a very small percentage of them! I however find that the ratio of likeable to dislikeable Canadians is the exact opposite. It's not just me either. Just about every european motoring journalist and even just the general public dislike them too. BTW I would rahter sound like a moron than a nerd, how is "did you see how sideways i was and how close i was to that tree" moronic though? This would make every Rally driver a moron. Even in my past posts when it's very clear I've tried to find common ground with you, you have turned it back into an argument. I really couldn't care less about how someone I have never met perceives me as at the end of the day, I'm doing my own thing and I'm enjoying my life. It's a shame that you are obviously in a position to enjoy a good life but you come on here to argue. I am the kind of person that take the long route home (about 10 miles longer) so I can hit some corners. The amount of time you've spent posting in this one thread alone is vast. Do you know what I'd be doing with that time if I owned an Elise? I'd be driving it. If I have a stressful day at work I dissapear in the car for a couple of hours and come back feeling great. Sounds like you should do the same. This is the last I'm bothering to post in this thread as even if I were to say that you are god and I am not worthy I still feel you would show distain in you posts!

Good day to you sir.

I'm out

'Never forget Grasshopper, Not speed, smile!'
Old 03-13-2006, 03:39 AM   #19
irod
AF Newbie

Quote:
You really need to re-read every post you have made in this thread and then say that they don't all read as "I know best" every word, every line. You posted in a thread that was completely dead just to disagree with a post i made in December 2004!!!
Yes, that's what discussion forums are for, you know? discussion.

Quote:
You can call me a biggot, fact is that out of every person I have met from the U.S, I have only liked a very small percentage of them!
No wonder... I bet the same small percentage of them like you. Not surprising.

Quote:
I however find that the ratio of likeable to dislikeable Canadians is the exact opposite. It's not just me either. Just about every european motoring journalist and even just the general public dislike them too. BTW I would rahter sound like a moron than a nerd, how is "did you see how sideways i was and how close i was to that tree" moronic though? This would make every Rally driver a moron.
I never said you were a moron because of being sideways and close to a tree. WTF?! And if you'd rather sound like a moron than a nerd (i.e. all the scientists who design and fine-tune these amazing cars) that's fine with me. It figures.

Quote:
Even in my past posts when it's very clear I've tried to find common ground with you, you have turned it back into an argument. I really couldn't care less about how someone I have never met perceives me as at the end of the day, I'm doing my own thing and I'm enjoying my life. It's a shame that you are obviously in a position to enjoy a good life but you come on here to argue.
I came here to discuss, which is what discussion boards are for, in case you hadn't noticed. You're the one that got offended because I argued your points and made you realize you were wrong on most of them and didn't really know what you were talking about.

Quote:
I am the kind of person that take the long route home (about 10 miles longer) so I can hit some corners. The amount of time you've spent posting in this one thread alone is vast. Do you know what I'd be doing with that time if I owned an Elise? I'd be driving it. If I have a stressful day at work I dissapear in the car for a couple of hours and come back feeling great. Sounds like you should do the same..
Believe me, I do. Every single day. That doesn't mean I don't have time for posting here.

Quote:
This is the last I'm bothering to post in this thread as even if I were to say that you are god and I am not worthy I still feel you would show distain in you posts!

Good day to you sir.

I'm out
You're the one who decided to come back and attack me personally (quote: "irod? what crawled up your ass and died? you got some problems") after we were done posting and had ended on a positive note on the motorsport exige. So don't give me this distain [sic] crap, when you're the one who can't get a hold of yourself after someone posts strictly his opinion backed up by facts.

Good day to you too.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lotus | Proton > Elise/Elise Tuning