Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Cavalier Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? We can help.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
msca1627
AF Newbie

2002 cavalier ecotec overheating

i start the car up let it idle until it gets 195 degrees electric fan kicks on and runs but never cools it down so the fan never kicks off and it will start boiling out of the resorvor tank and it will show only 195 temparture at the gage it could be off a little but why cant the fan cool it down replaced the temp sensor twice and new thermostat it has heat on the inside of the car. i have pulled the top radiator hose off when the car is running at 195 degrees and the water is bairly running out when i give it gas it picks up some could this be the waterpump not circulating. thanks for any help
msca1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
msca1627
AF Newbie

Re: 2002 cavalier ecotec overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by msca1627 View Post
i start the car up let it idle until it gets 195 degrees electric fan kicks on and runs but never cools it down so the fan never kicks off and it will start boiling out of the resorvor tank and it will show only 195 temparture at the gage it could be off a little but why cant the fan cool it down replaced the temp sensor twice and new thermostat it has heat on the inside of the car. i have pulled the top radiator hose off when the car is running at 195 degrees and the water is bairly running out when i give it gas it picks up some could this be the waterpump not circulating. thanks for any help
well tried new cap that did not work tried new radiator did not work im going to take new thermostat back out and see if its working or not
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Add a Prestone/Peak coolant T - Flush kit, and purge system with a little water pressure.

Caution - Any shortage of coolant, because of a bad coolant bleed procedure will cause your problem.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danielsatur For This Useful Post:
msca1627 (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
msca1627
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsatur View Post
Add a Prestone/Peak coolant T - Flush kit, and purge system with a little water pressure.

Caution - Any shortage of coolant, because of a bad coolant bleed procedure will cause your problem.
ok i will try that. well today
i took the resovor tank loose held it up as high as i could filled it up with water until it came out at the small water line in the top left side of the head started the engine let it run untill the electric fan kicked on turned it off let it cool back down and refield the tank. i start the car again let it run untill the fan kicked on and it still want cool down to kick off so i jump in ride down the road and fan kicks off wait until fan kicked back on drive about 2 tenths of mile fan kicks off again but still want kick off idiling.i turned the car off when the fan is on 195 degrees wait 5 min started the car back up heat hand was little higher than 195 thin it went 200 thin 205 no fan kicked on car did not boil out water but then i turned the car off and fan kicked on and ran untill the battery went dead.how can the fan kick on when the car is off.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Cavalier Problem Diagnosis