Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Locations (USA, Canada, Asia, etc...) > Eastern US
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eastern US New York, New Jersey, Georgia and other Eastern US states.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 08:21 AM   #1
Tncivicracer
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Tncivicracer Send a message via Yahoo to Tncivicracer
Question Wreckless driving

I was pulled over a couple of nights ago.....clocked at 83 in a 55....couple of questions.....I just moved here to VA and I have a TN drivers license...is the judge more likely to suspend my license or will there just be a ticket..how does it usually work in this state....also someone told me about getting my car calibrated.....due to the fact that I have bigger wheels on my car.........any feedback is welcome...thanks..
Old 02-08-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
crxlvr
Slowest Automatic Civic

Send a message via AIM to crxlvr
well if you purchased the wheels correctly, as in changed the tire size/ratio to the size of your wheel, the stock and the aftermarket wheels should be the same size, so calibration isnt needed.

as for the ticket, unless you got pulled over every week for speeding, you'll just get a fine.

Stable Of Cars I have Owned:
1991 Honda CRX
1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
2003 Honda Accord
1998 Chrysler Concorde
2007 Honda Civic
1997 Toyota Camry
1995 Saturn SC2
1996 Ford Taurus
1991 GMC Sierra
2002 Daewoo Leganza
1999 Dodge Ram
2007 Honda CR-V
2003 BMW 325i
Old 02-08-2002, 10:47 PM   #3
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer
VA laws are tough. I know people who were cited for wreckless driving (10-15mph over the lmit) and were jailed. VA laws are old Colonial type. You might want to get a lawyer soon.
Buy my Civic parts!
Old 02-09-2002, 09:05 AM   #4
ricergurl
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ricergurl
well in va the cops may be pricks but they wont take ur liscense for speeding but the ticket can very well raise ur insurance a lot... that calibration thing..probably a good idea...
Old 02-09-2002, 10:13 AM   #5
4ndrms
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 4ndrms
cops pulled my cousin and his friend over and the cop said my cousin was doing 75 and his friend was doing 70,but his friend was ahead
Old 02-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

i remember when me and my friend went to south carolina and his mom was driving a 99 eclipse. it was red and it was the special edition or whatever with the bigger spoiler and whatnot... so we're on the highway going towards SC and we're passing through VA at about 80 - 85 and a cop pulls her over. i was sitting behind the driver seat looking at the cop through the small rear window and he looks like an ass. my friends mom kept calling him a faggot and i think he heard her one time, and he pulled his head into the car all fast and he was like 'i'm sorry??' it was hilarious

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
Old 02-14-2002, 11:33 AM   #7
AccordEX9191
AF Enthusiast

im not sure about VA laws but i was cited for speeding and racing 74 in a 35. All i did was tell the cop that i might have been speeding but i wasnt looking at my speedometer so i really wasnt too sure how fast i was going. but i guess since you said i was going 74 i must have but im really sorry. but as for racing i wasnt racing. the cop dropped the speeding to 5 over and the racing he totally dropped. no points on my license and no insurance increase. just depends on what cop you have and all. the cop that pulled me over was the biggest dick in the world but he let me off.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:04 PM   #8
HXCivic97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HXCivic97
Alright - here's the deal on VA's views on reckless driving. It all depends on what the cop says, what you were doing, how fast, so on. It's like this, and I'm talking from experience. Personal.

On I-66 coming into manassass I was in a rush to get to my g/f's place. It was about 1 in the morning, and there'd been an accident on 81 which i was stuck behind. My g/f was expecting me at about 12, so I didn't want her to worry longer than necessary. I'd been flying the whole way, around 100 on 81, 95 on 66. Now there's ALWAYS cops on the manasass borders, which is where i was gonna slow down, but this time they were waiting a little farther out. Clocked me doing 97 in a 65. Yeah, bad news. In court, the judge came down on my hard, giving me 90 days in jail, and suspending my license for 6 mos. Fortunately, she thought i was worth suspending 89 of the days (I still remember her emphatically saying, "You ARE going to jail...." and sure enough, I did.) giving me probation on the condition that if I got any traffic ticket in the next year, I'd go back for the rest of my sentence.

Now this isn't meant to scare you... that's just my experience. Remember, I was doing 32 over.... 3 mph more that night, and the cop said he would've hauled me off to jail that night. Other people got reckless doing around your speed, and she actually knocked it down to just speeding. It all depends on your best record. But if she/he decides to be a prick and go the full 9 yards, you'll have the option of putting off the court date a little over a couple months and coming back with an attorney. If this option is given to you, TAKE IT.

I know this post wasn't much of a help, and probably didn't put you in high spirits, but just trying to give you a realistic idea of what's going on.

And yes, get your wheels calibrated.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:32 AM   #9
grrltoy
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to grrltoy
i was pulled over doing 81 in a 65.....funny thing was, there was a car directly in front of me and a car directly in back of me. make any sense?... the cop made the car in back of me move so he could pull me over. then, in court, he flirted with me, asked me out, and when we got to the stand, he acted like he didn't have the ticket with him, so i got off.

on the other hand, on another occasion, i was doing 112 in a 65, and the cop gave me a break and put 95 in a 65 on the ticket. got a ticket for reckless driving too. faced 7 points and $370 fines. got 2 points and $150 fines. some cops aren't so bad...sometimes.

"they sell us love as divinity when it's only a social obscenity"
Old 04-05-2002, 08:30 AM   #10
whprelude
AF Enthusiast

i got pulled last year doing 88 in a 55 and that could have been reckless driving. i got a lawyer and only ended up with a couple points on my license but paid 300 dollars for the lawyer....I would get a lawyer or find out if a community college near you offers driving defense classes
-Wings West RS Series Sides/Rear
-Iceman CAI
-DC Sports short shifter
-Stage 1 clutch
-Apexi megaphone dunk
-Jdm headlights w/blk housing
-18" RS Limited
-J Power cross drilled rotors
-mirror tint
-tail covers
Old 04-05-2002, 10:42 PM   #11
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dreemkill Send a message via AIM to dreemkill Send a message via Yahoo to dreemkill
i got a ticket on i88 (NY) about a month ago for 81 in a 65...i was passing a tractor trailer, cop was going southbound, i was going northbound, he pulled a u-ey and cought up to me (i had slowed down since) pulled me over, ticketed me for 81 in a 65, gave me my ticket, and off he went....i didnt have my wheels colaborated either (i threw some stock 15" wheels from a 2000 civic on my car for the winter, cause they had brand new firestones w/ good tread on them) so my speedo was approx. 5 mph off.........to make a bad situation worse, on the way home from that trip (i was driving to albany (troy more specifically) to pick up my friend, then we were heading out to "the assylum" in springfield mass. for a party) on the way home from springfield, i come around this turn, a mass cop has someone pulled over, the cop is standing in the middle of the road flagging me over! im like "WTF is that idiot doing?!" he fucking ticketed me for 76 in a 65, how he was so precise in this speed is beyond me, he was talking to some dude that he pulled over, saw me, and flagged me over, then ran to his car. i kept driving like, 1/4 mile, then decided "eh, i better stop...." the cop came back up to me, and gave me some shit. he was officer hard-ass to the max, every time i responded to him he jumped my shit. two ticket weekend - rock n roll.

Originally posted by Prelussion

And then both of you guys w/ you sewing maching powered cars get passed by a moped w/ a 5hp Engine and he goes on to put 5 car lengths on you. Racing an EX vs a DX is like a 10 speed bike vs a golden retriever.

AF Upstate Crew -- Member #1

Current Audio: none. car dead.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:44 PM   #12
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to dreemkill Send a message via AIM to dreemkill Send a message via Yahoo to dreemkill
oh, i got a 58 in a 35 back in NC (Cornelius) about 50 feet from where the road goes from a 35 to a 55. got outta that one (not monetarily tho) by taking a defensive driving course in charlotte..whiped it off the record.

And then both of you guys w/ you sewing maching powered cars get passed by a moped w/ a 5hp Engine and he goes on to put 5 car lengths on you. Racing an EX vs a DX is like a 10 speed bike vs a golden retriever.

Old 04-06-2002, 07:34 PM   #13
whprelude
AF Enthusiast

yeah, cornelius is covered with some hardcore cops especially in davidson, not to mention mooresville which is up the road...i hate driving in NC sometimes...
-Wings West RS Series Sides/Rear
-Iceman CAI
-DC Sports short shifter
-Stage 1 clutch
-Apexi megaphone dunk
-Jdm headlights w/blk housing
-18" RS Limited
-J Power cross drilled rotors
-mirror tint
-tail covers
Old 04-06-2002, 08:01 PM   #14
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

wow, someone from denver! hehe!
it was actually a statie that got me...if it was a cornelius cop, i woulda been fine...i work @ dominos....we trade them free food for leniency..hehehe.
mooresville cops on the other hand.......are a totally different story :/

Quote:
Originally posted by whprelude
yeah, cornelius is covered with some hardcore cops especially in davidson, not to mention mooresville which is up the road...i hate driving in NC sometimes...

Old 04-06-2002, 08:03 PM   #15
dreemkill
AF Enthusiast

actually, you being from denver....you ever see a guy around named Dan that drives a 2000 EX (dark tint, altezza lights, blue colour) driving around there? he's a friend of mine from down there....and denver really isnt that big of a place....i know its a long shot, but you dont know him do you? (goatie, manages a starbucks there, blonde hair)
just a thought