Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
Alucard
AF Newbie

Rsx-s or rx8

Hello ppl im new so if I do anything wrong laet me know asap. My question is waht new car to buy a rsx-s or rx8? I know of the power potential of the rsx-s but I dont know of the potential of rx8.I have a friend who has a rx8 and it's great,but what about future power gains? Plus I hear about probs with the i-vtec engine is this true?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Re: Rsx-s or rx8

I've never heard problems about the RSX engine.

It depends, in a straight line, they're equal, but because of the LSD the torque-lacking RX-8 will beat an RSX in the corners. The RX-8 also looks more agressive and has 4 doors. However, its a Ford and they're reliabilty is pretty crappy as with their dealer service.

Here's a slight comparo of the two: http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=158864
Old 06-06-2004, 12:10 AM   #3
Alucard
AF Newbie

Cool man, thanks for the info..
Old 06-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

No prob - I might trade in my RSX and what i'm considering is: RX-8, TSX, Scion tC (when it comes), redesigned RSX (2005 model?)....
Old 06-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
Alucard
AF Newbie

Well ill tell ya all I want is something to beat 0-60 time of a evo or wrx sti *small wish huh* I thought about a 350z base model. I know it has good potential with the greddy turbo kit but waht I wonder is if I put 4k in a rsx-s (which would be turbo forced induction etc) what my trac and 0-60 times would be? Rsx 05 im unsure of I wonder what they will change?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:05 AM   #6
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

One guy put 8K in performance mods for his RSX (Stage 2 turbo plus other mods) and ran a 11.9 in the quarter mile.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:54 AM   #7
mmont0
AF Regular

If you can afford it, why not just buy the EVO or WRX Sti. They're already modded and you don't have to go through the trouble of putting A LOT of aftermarket parts into an RSX/350z. You could probably get a STi/EVO for about $3k more than a base 350z and probably add a few more mods to them to get them faster than a base STi/EVO.

It will probably take a little more than $4k to get an RSX to be faster than an EVO/Sti. You'd be able to keep up with them, but not be faster.

Just my 2cents.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #8
RSX-S777
AF Enthusiast

I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell...
Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
scallywag
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmont0
If you can afford it, why not just buy the EVO or WRX Sti. They're already modded and you don't have to go through the trouble of putting A LOT of aftermarket parts into an RSX/350z. You could probably get a STi/EVO for about $3k more than a base 350z and probably add a few more mods to them to get them faster than a base STi/EVO.

It will probably take a little more than $4k to get an RSX to be faster than an EVO/Sti. You'd be able to keep up with them, but not be faster.

Just my 2cents.
I agree as well. But you gotta admit, it is fun modding out your motor. That is probably the funnest thing about owning a honda motor is the huge aftermarket support.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:29 AM   #10
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_canuck
its a Ford and they're reliabilty is pretty crappy as with their dealer service.
WTH... an rx8 is a mazda = japanese = good reliability.... the rx8 also has the new renisis engine that was at the top ten best engine lists on a magazine (i forget which one).... so the reliabuility is there... its also n/a with 250 hp and its rwd... as for mods... u have the option of a 3rd rotary conversion... they have already produced a 800hp rx8...

the rsx is fwd... which is bad for dragging right there, and its hard to turbo because of the v-tec.... im not saying that the rsx is bad and it does have its potential, but so does the rx8... plus i would take the rx8 just for its rwd alone... if ur looking for a lot of power, then a fwd isnt the best way to go... for traction reasons... especially in dragging
Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 AM   #11
mmont0
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto7o2azn
WTH... an rx8 is a mazda = japanese = good reliability.... the rx8 also has the new renisis engine that was at the top ten best engine lists on a magazine (i forget which one).... so the reliabuility is there... its also n/a with 250 hp and its rwd... as for mods... u have the option of a 3rd rotary conversion... they have already produced a 800hp rx8...

the rsx is fwd... which is bad for dragging right there, and its hard to turbo because of the v-tec.... im not saying that the rsx is bad and it does have its potential, but so does the rx8... plus i would take the rx8 just for its rwd alone... if ur looking for a lot of power, then a fwd isnt the best way to go... for traction reasons... especially in dragging
Dude, didn't you know that MAZDA was bought out by FORD? So in essence, it is a FORD vehicle with MAZDA components. It still is japanese mostly.

With everything else I agree with the following exceptions:
1. The RX8 is a little more expensive then the RSX, so this might be a factor.
2. The RSX has no problems being turbo'ed. Just take a look at all the kits out there. There's even a supercharger if you want to go that way. VTEC just changes the camshaft you're using after a certain RPM.
3. The best way to go for traction is not RWD, or FWD, but AWD. So I would recommend a WRX in this case.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:08 PM   #12
Carman123
AF Newbie

"However, its a Ford and they're reliabilty is pretty crappy as with their dealer service. "

That is a very immature comment, Ford is a great company. Although I have never owned a Ford, my dad owns many, and has had nothing but praise with them.

If your gonna directly compare brands of Ford, then why not mention, Jaguar, Austin Martin, Lincoln?

Are thoese not reliable, and have "crappy dealer service". Plus dealer services depend on the dealer, not nesccarily the company. Dealers can vary greatly!

Plus every car company has its bad apples and success'. Saying Ford sucks or Fords break down alot is a comment I should only hear from a 12-year old un-educated kid.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #13
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Rsx-s or rx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto7o2azn

Mazda is owned by Ford and having owned a Mazda for a few years I can back up the fact they had crappy service, and could been a lot better.

And yes, they have a 1400hp RX-8, however, are they streetable, no. I'm 99% sure the 800hp one isn't streetable, and they say that the RSX has the potential to reach 1100hp (according to Cybernations Motorsports who've made the most RSX turbo kits and they worked on the fastest street RSX).

And the RSX has been turbo'd MANY times.

About Ford, yes they are a good company, but with Mazda itself (not just one dealer but more than half) its been bad. They tried to scam me, forgot to put the oil cap on after an oil change, were really assholes about service, etc.

Not to say the RX-8 is bad (i'm considering it as a next car) but in terms of reliability Toyota and Honda are the leaders. Every Acura dealer but one were great for me.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:23 PM   #14
Fastkats
AF Newbie

The RX8 IMO, is one of the nicest looking cars out there. However, I felt the interior seemed cheaply made. I drove two differnent RX8's and both of them had at least one thing that was broken or didn't work right. The interior would smell of exhaust fumes when you were driving. These were new cars! My wife wanted a new car. Here's what we test drove. Volvo S40, Lexus IS300 (sweet car), Infinity G35, Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX8, Mazda 6 and the Acura TSX. I convinced her to buy the TSX. Price, quality, ride, and Acura dependabilty. If you put the optional equipment on most of these cars that the TSX had stock, everything else was $4,000 to $7,000 higher.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:57 PM   #15
crazy_canuck
AF Enthusiast

The TSX is underpowered but it completely destroys the comptetition with its standard options.

And one of the main reasons i'm considering the RX is because of the looks, theres a blue one in the area, wow.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons