Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #226
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Re: Jordan 191

It’s been quite some time since the last update, but here’s a quick one finally. I wanted to show something else at this point but the last parts I built for the engine didn’t fit ( after a lot of work…my own stupid mistake…and Tamiya’s a bit too :-) so I have to do them all over again. So for my own motivation to get back into this build here are some pictures of the wheels.
On the insides of the rims I glued etched bits with a hole pattern that corresponds to the pins on the brake hubs. I blended them in going through primer, sanding and then black paint for all the rims. Then I added the decals. They are a mix of Studio27 and Tamiya. This was followed by 2K-clear and some very light sanding and polishing where possible. On the insides I put a misty coat of Jet Black because I guess the original wheels aren’t too shiny there :-)
I then mounted the tyres ( after sanding them ) and applied the Goodyear logos using an etched template and Zero Pure White, followed by a thin coat of semi gloss clear on the sidewalls.
Finally I added some tiny tyre valves, scratch built from etched nuts, wire and bits of 0,45mm injection needle.

I was surprised how long it took to get a nice even surface when sanding those damn tyres and even more so until all the logos were painted more or less in the right places. The sad truth is…I’ve been building models for years now but this is in fact the first time I get a 1:20 build as far as doing the tyres…
I may “wear” the wheels a bit more at a later point. Also I could add some more tyre markings. I have a picture with Schumacher in the Spa grid where some extra mechanic’s markings are visible. I can’t replicate that by hand with a brush though. Maybe I’ll do some decals for that.

Next I painted the wheel nuts. They’re red on the right hand side and black on the left. The red paint looks nice but it peels off almost if you look at it too strong. I have to try some other brands and hope one of them will stick better. I wanted to “wear” some of the paint off at the edges of the nuts, but like this that doesn’t work.

Finally here’s a close look of the right front wheel mounted.

And of course a shot with all four wheels. They all touch the ground and the car sits nicely so the jig to set up the suspension worked :-)

So that’s it for now. Thanks for stopping by!
jaykay640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #227
exhaust smoke
AF Enthusiast

Absolutely Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not too long now until completion?
exhaust smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #228
Murray Kish
Getting Old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay640 View Post
I was surprised how long it took to get a nice even surface when sanding those damn tyres
This, is very true, and I struggle with this a lot. I don't think I have ever been able to get tire surfaces to look as smooth and uniform as the ones in your photos.

You must have a secret technique, or at least a secret grade of sandpaper that you can tell us about?

I can't recall, but I think your wheelnuts are made from brass. But maybe you're really motivated, and thinking about making them from alumimun....and then doing a home-annodizing sort of operation that would color them red? (maybe overambitious, but knowing your skills and history of experimentation, could be a possibility?? I think there are quite a few how-to's on the net..... and knowing that you do you're own PE, it's likely something you coud do...)

Or, maybe you can get some machinist's dye (the blue stuff they use to mark out the metal), except in red color??

Thanks for the update. Really fantastic.Now I can enjoy the rest of the summer....

(but I'll be checking back for updates with annodized wheel nuts....)

Murray
Murray Kish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #229
robrex
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to robrex

Superb!!!!!!

robrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #230
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Hi Murray, i don't have a special technique for the tyres. I chucked them in my lathe ( which probably makes it easier than turning them on a hand drill :-) and then tried out various grades of sandpaper and even files. 360 grit sandpaper worked the best. The rear tyres worked pretty well but the front ones strangely gave me a lot of trouble. They kept smearing in places and were hard to sand to a uniform surface. I even tried to freeze them to improve their behaviour ( didn't really work...). Somehow after a lot of fiddling i got them to look right.

About the wheelnuts i'll first try some other paints. Maybe there's one that sticks better than the Humbrol clear red i used here. My last resort is in fact to make new nuts. I have a type of aluminium sitting around that's supposed to be good for annodizing. I haven't heard of a DIY way of doing that so far but will have a look into that. Otherwise i'll find someone to do them for me :-)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #231
da_ashman
AF Enthusiast

Amazing as per usual!! I cant believe the pic of the brake, everything looks real, it doesnt look like plastic (even though parts are metal in there). Simply stunning!!

It's Not wheather you Win or Lose, its how you look while you play the Game
da_ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #232
Scuderia.
AF Regular

Great progress jaykay, I am really looking forward to seeing it finished (so please finish it).
On the wheel nuts, doesn't tamiya make a metal primer in a can that is clear? maybe you could put that on first then the clear red.
Scuderia. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #233
Robi J
AF Enthusiast

Simply outstanding jay, as the rest of this epic build...

Robi
Robi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #234
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

Another good update. Can't wait to see the final product!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo model contest and expo-Chicago April 2011
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #235
Big Kahuna
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkobin View Post
The silver cylinder is a swirl pot assembly. It is for removing the air from the fuel if the pickup or pump is disturbed. Helps provide consistant fuel pressure and volume under extreme circumstances.
I am pretty sure that this particular one is for coolant.
I believe the one on top of the bell housing is basically a catch tank/de-aerator(so it has internal baffles with holes in them allowing the oil to return and collect at the bottom without entrained oil).

I had long discussions with a few friends over the arrangement for the B192 Cosworth which is similar.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #236
agamo
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to agamo Send a message via MSN to agamo Send a message via Skype™ to agamo

AMAZING!!!

(Can't say more, I'm speechless)
agamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #237
Raikkobin
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
I am pretty sure that this particular one is for coolant.
I believe the one on top of the bell housing is basically a catch tank/de-aerator(so it has internal baffles with holes in them allowing the oil to return and collect at the bottom without entrained oil).

I had long discussions with a few friends over the arrangement for the B192 Cosworth which is similar.
It is totally possible that it is a coolant reservoir of some type. After looking at Jaykay's, it appears as though it has a cap of some sort, which a swirl pot would not have. It is remarkably similar to a swirl pot in terms of shape and dimensions. I've installed and plumbed many into street and race cars, it really looks like one. The only thing thing that would make me think it isn't, is the mounting location, near a hot exhaust. Wouldn't make sense for coolant either?? The cooling systems are charge filled as well, and rarely have a cap of any kind. The tank on the trans bellhousing is indeed a oil vapour-seperator/cooler. Any Jordan engineers in the house to answer our queries!! I would love a really comprehensive technical manual on an F1 car made within the last 15 years. On an engineering level, not an observational one. I think there is a good one on the F2000.
Raikkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #238
jaykay640
AF Enthusiast

Hi there

Progress is still pretty slow ( work and life and so on :-) but here’s some new bits after all.
I finally finished the nosecone/front wing. All the wing elements were individually painted and CF’d were appropriate, sanded and polished. I put them together mostly with epoxy glue. It’s pretty unnerving stuff to put glue on parts whose surfaces you have worked on for hours knowing that you have pretty much one shot or an annoying mess :-) The epoxy glue at least is a bit more forgiving than super glue in that respect.

To attach the endplates and adjustable flaps I used brass rivets over etched SMS washers ( all individually painted ) to reinforce the connection and as locator pins for gluing. That takes a bit more time but helps the result a lot. Also I’m getting better at fixing my mess ups :-)

I CF’d and painted the inside of the nosecone, trying to not build up too much material for a small gap with the monocoque.

All the flaps were dressed up with etched bolts top and bottom as per the original. I glued those with clear enamel paint ( easy to clean off the 2K-clear with some alcohol while fresh, in case I make a mess…). I put new vertical strakes where I had cut off the bigger Tamiya ones and connected them to the endplates with 0,1mm metal strips ( CF’d and painted once more…) like on the real front wing.

I also fixed the tyre markings. Now the painted on white stripes match the tyre valves as they should and I also added the hand written mechanic’s tyre markings indicating driver, direction and set ( Schumacher really started the race with set 14 according to the pictures ). I created the necessary data from pictures of the Spa weekend and got some dry transfers made ( different for each wheel :-) They are really delicate and I painted the sidewalls over with some semi gloss clear to hopefully protect them.

Finally two shots with the car plus frontwing as it is right now ( couldn’t resist :-) I was aiming for a smaller gap between nose and monocoque but I can’t really complain, considering the mounting system with just the two turned aluminium pins at the front of the monocoque actually works as planned and I have a removable frontwing.

Thanks for stopping by and see you for the next update…at some point :-)

Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #239
F1Tommy
AF Enthusiast

SUPERB AGAIN. Keep those updates coming.

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011 model/photo contest and show-Chicago April 2011
F1Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #240
Big Kahuna
AF Regular

Fantastico!!!!!!!!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports