Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #1
ladagosta
AF Regular

Angry 98 contour auto throwing code 1383 again! @@ !

seems i bought this car back in july of last years so i havent even gotten a year out of it , and i have replaced the timing belt 2 times the code has come up like 5 times and I am tired of going back to the garage to hear them tell me it is the timing belt and tensioner and then the timing belt and gasket and well the timing shouldnt go out that much or frequently so what gives here/ no wonder the previous owner dumped the car!!!

okay what happened is we did the routine oil changes ran some seafoam though her not even the required amount only did 1/4 solution ran it for about 30 minutes and when i pulled in the garage she was rough i figured it might be she would striaghten out once i got some good clean oil in there but nope when i turned her on the CEL came on and when i got home the code i pulled was p1383. i just changed the plug a month ago should i go ahead and change them again and hope it resolves the issue? what if it doesnt?
i got 5 cars at the house and seems always 2 of them are down for some thing or another... be nice if just once we had them all running at once..
and so how about that light bulb that burns for 50 years... can they make a car to run that long.. i bet they can and won't!

Last edited by ladagosta; 03-09-2009 at 02:58 AM.
ladagosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
beyondloadedSE
AF Ford Contour-Advisor

Re: 98 contour auto throwing code 1383 again! @@ !

Does the problem persist immediately after the new timing belt has been installed? Either you've got some other problem other than the timing belt or the shop keeps installing it incorrectly.

"The CEG Nazi"
www.contour.org
1996 Ford Contour SE - Sold
3.0L V6 and Arizona Dyno Chip Turbo Kit
364 whp, 410 wtq @ 16 psi and only 4,700 rpms.
1999 Tropic Green SVT Contour - Bone stock and MINT
beyondloadedSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
ladagosta
AF Regular

well it threw a P0340 along with the p1383 code which I didnt check until I came back from the pull it place and I got a sensor from in front of the valve cover near the thermostat and then replaced that one and the temp sensor since that was bad now I erased the codes ran her around the block 1/2 dozen times and all seems fine i dont even know what sensor it was that i replaced i also picked up a tps just in case...but it appears to be working now ...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
RahX
AF Enthusiast

340 is a camshaft position sensor. It was probably reading the cam position wrong and thinking it was retarded when it was probably where it was supposed to.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
ladagosta
AF Regular

to update this thread before it is forgotten completely as the car is being sold as a "project car" since the transmission is toast now..canonly go for a 10 minute run before coming to a halt ..
but the issue was resolved after taking it to FORD and having the timing reset since the garage we went to didnt set it right from when they did the water pump a yr prior to this and the pulley went bad and had to redo the water pump and had them do the timing belt while they were doing the water pump for the second time. The timing was never right after that incident and we are back to our old mechanic now thanks to shelling out over 1500.00 for a timing belt, water pump, gasket, and pulley,,, then 200.00 more to have FOrd garage fix the timing issue.. Now i am glad the car will belong to someone else... and i no longer will use that shop again.. the ford dealer was a life saver.. but the garage down the road not worth a cent..
thank you all for your help .. thought this might help someone in the future...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Contour