Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
defiancy
Stay classy San Diego

A night in DSM fashion

So as most of you probably don't know, my GSX has been in the shop for the last three months getting some major work done to it. I'm not going to explain it for the sake of making myself looking like a dumbass hehe. But anyway I finally get the car back last night after all that time. I get in the car and apart from stalling it three times in the parking lot of the shop and the mechanics laughing at me(I haven't gotten used to the ACT2600 yet) all went well. The car wasn't leaking or anything and it was boosting well. Albiet it is like a starved child, because it's completely stock except it's a 2.3 stroker and it has a 16g on it that is just running at 11psi. So it's direly in need of some modification. Well anyway I am driving it a short distance to my friends sisters house to kick back and drink a few beers, I get to a red light, and what happens? Of course I stall it again, only this time we can't get it started again, We end up having to push the car into a parking lot and poping the clutch to start it again. We get it to the house and pop the hood and start looking. The battery is brand new, so after a little bit we determine that of course it has to be the alternator. Which makes sense since it was the only damn thing not replaced from the original motor. So here I am thinking that my car was going to actually run and than I remember I drive a DSM and that I should have seen this coming a mile away. 5 minutes out of the shop and already down again
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
LouieAWDTSi
AF Enthusiast

Re: A night in DSM fashion

That sucks. I replaced my alternator like a year ago or so. Its kind of a pain because the p/s is in the way. My brothers bronco's alternator was nice and easy, right on top! Damn dsm's!

--the DD-->99 ACURA 3.2 TL

--Sold 92TSi AWD, 6-bolt, auto, evo 3 gt turbo with supporting mods
LouieAWDTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
Shpyder
Moderate moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiancy
than I remember I drive a DSM and that I should have seen this coming a mile away. 5 minutes out of the shop and already down again
When I say "I feel your pain", I mean it, lol.

The daily driver. The weekend cruiser. The lazy shop hog.
Shpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Thor06
Jizzed In My Pants

Need a new one? My buddy has a spare.

Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
Killa
AF Enthusiast

duralast at autozone, have life time .
looking for 2002 Trans Am LSX
UPGRATE 2010 !! 97 Camaro Z28
95 camaro lt1
1992 Pontiac Firebird v6 auto -sold -
Pony 1998 Mustang GT 4.6L Manual. Black
1995 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo manual R.I.P
1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse Manual gray -Sold
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS Auto White - Sold
Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
defiancy
Stay classy San Diego

So I replaced the alternator and I crank up the car and it starts. So I think all is well and I go on my way. So me and my friend decide to stop and have a celebration smoke in our victory. But before that I decide to on a whim to start my car after I had just parked it. And what do you know? It doesn't start. So my first though is that I just spent 110 dollars on an alternator for nothing. But I realize that the car had not dimmed while I was driving it or it doesn't drive rough so I know the alternator was bad, it just wasn't the only problem. Evidently after testing the battery and the alternator, the battery wasn't being charged by the alternator even though the alternator is putting out good voltage, so we figure that it has to be the wiring between the alternator and the battery or maybe the possibly brand new battery is bad.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #7
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

Make sure all of your alternator and battery connections are clean and tight (like a woman) before you go and start replacing a bunch of stuff you don't need to.

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
defiancy
Stay classy San Diego

Well the alternator did turn out to be bad, but we also found later that the wire that runs from the battery to the alternator was bad so we wired up a new one. Everything was going great, I was driving home and about half way I hear aloud pop and loose my power stearing etc. I noticed it starting to overheat so I pulled it off to the side of the road and called someone. It was my accessory belt and it snapped so I am going to go down there with a new belt and some tools and throw it on so I can get it home.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #9
LouieAWDTSi
AF Enthusiast

lol problem after problem for you(that sucks). My dash lights dim too when I'm off the gas and that was after a new alternator. I wonder if it is the same connection. I gotta look into this.

--the DD-->99 ACURA 3.2 TL

--Sold 92TSi AWD, 6-bolt, auto, evo 3 gt turbo with supporting mods
LouieAWDTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
defiancy
Stay classy San Diego

So I put the alternator belt on and started driving home, when I was almost home the car started sputtering real bad and wanting to die. my CEL came on and the gas light if I'm not mistaken, than the next thing you know the car is just fine again running normal, than a few moments later it starts doing the same thing and actually dies this time. I was able to start it up right away, and continue driving the first time, but it died another time and while i was able to start it up it died right away. After waiting a few moments I started it up and it drive fine. I than parked at my apartment complex and let it run, and it just sat there running just fine. I haven't tried to duplicate it again because I don't have tags on the car yet. But any idea waht that sounds like?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #11
Thor06
Jizzed In My Pants

Yep, sounds like you need couple new mechanics. I would suggest Righty, Lefty, occasionally Mouth, Mr. Haynes Manual, and the all knowledgable Dr. Automotive Forums.

My car did that dieing shit and bouncy idle when I forgot to plug in my IAC, check that.

Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #12
gthompson97
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to gthompson97 Send a message via MSN to gthompson97

A really fucked up computer maybe? None of your problems are relating to each other except a really messed up electrical circuit.

97 Eclipse GST

gthompson97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
originpartn
Banned

The knowing that power performance is good for the planet has become healthy by the knowing that it is economically valuable to companies. However, in order to spend less through energy-efficiency, you have to spend cash to apply it, and the cost can be considerable.
originpartn is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic