Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Wheels/Tires/Suspension All the handling help you need. No matter what Honda/Acura you drive.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
mfarzin
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to mfarzin
Exclamation Springs in Lowered 99 Civic

I just recently got new KYB AGX shocks and a set of Ground Control coilovers put on my car, (along with front and rear camber kit + LCA's from SPC Performance). I'm not very experienced with this kind of stuff so I have a few questions. First of all, if anyone else has these adjustable shocks, what are some good settings in the front and rear for regular street driving? Now, in the back of my car it is lowered quite a bit and when I take a turn just a little faster than normal and hit a small bump in the process the rear tires rub a little bit. I was thinking ok I'll just raise the back coilovers a little and it will be fine, but the problem is that they are already raised to the highest possible point. Is this because of the springs not being stiff enough to hold the weight of the car or what? If I got some springs with a higher spring rate would this fix the problem? If so, which springs would you recommend? By the way i just put 18s on my car as well.
mfarzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:59 AM   #2
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Re: Springs in Lowered 99 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarzin
I just recently got new KYB AGX shocks and a set of Ground Control coilovers put on my car, (along with front and rear camber kit + LCA's from SPC Performance). I'm not very experienced with this kind of stuff so I have a few questions. First of all, if anyone else has these adjustable shocks, what are some good settings in the front and rear for regular street driving? Now, in the back of my car it is lowered quite a bit and when I take a turn just a little faster than normal and hit a small bump in the process the rear tires rub a little bit. I was thinking ok I'll just raise the back coilovers a little and it will be fine, but the problem is that they are already raised to the highest possible point. Is this because of the springs not being stiff enough to hold the weight of the car or what? If I got some springs with a higher spring rate would this fix the problem? If so, which springs would you recommend? By the way i just put 18s on my car as well.
Firstly you got way too much for your car for it being a street car, and given your eperience level as you said you aren't experienced with it. A good street setting is as soft as possible, you ONLY need a stiff shock setting and spring rate for intense handling and the track. Taking street turns at 35mph is not intense handling or even close to it. With that said and out of the way, you have "18 wheels so they will rub no matter the suspension you have, stock and especially lowered. LCAs are definitely overkill for the street. Sure I myself have Tein coilovers with custom stiffer spring rates, Omni LCAs, an H-brace, a rear lower tiebar and a larger than stock Si sized rear swaybar but I have it all for 100% function and that is pretty much for when I hit the track for auto-X or road racing where I need parts like that.

With your issue, your wheels are so big, that that's your limitation there. It's filling the wheel well space much more than "16 or "16 wheel thus you have to raise the rear coil sleeve higher to prevent rubbing. What size tires are you running? That makes a big differance. Your best advice would be to roll your fenders and see if that helps. Stiffer springs are an option (I'd HIGHLY recommend Swift brand springs, Zeal professional coilovers now ship with Swift springs installed on them) but stiffer springs will also yield a much stiffer and harsher ride, not good for the street as your back will wear out from it and so will your car. Also the coil sleeves you got, the springs on them if they are good shoul NOT sag or settle more than 5mm at the most. I see that you got G/C sleeves, so they come with good Eibach springs on them. If I remember right the stock rates on them is 380 front and 280 lbs. rear respectively. Not a bad number, fairlycomfortable for a street car at least. My Teins I run 559lbs. (10kg) front springs and 336lbs. (6kg) rear springs. Kinda harsh for the streets here in LA, but excellent for handling at tracks like Buttonwillow and Streets of Willow Springs where I road race at. I want to go 12kg front and at least 8 or 10kg rear ultimately, but I'll have to weigh if the $400 worth of shock revalving is worth it or not to upgrade. In all honesty though I'd say your best bet is to call up Ground Control or even Eibach (since the sleeves come with their springs) and ask them what they'd suggest since they are the ones that make the parts. They can give you the best advice being as they are the manufactures. Good luck!!
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Wheels/Tires/Suspension