Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Rumors
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Rumors What have you heard? Tales of the MKV, concepts and spy pics.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 08:42 PM   #31
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C
Too much speculations about the next Supra. It is known that next Supra will be based off Soarer/ SC430. Engine choices includes 4.3L V8, 4.5L V8 and 5.0L V12 in the Century. Toyota needs a lot more hp than 400 to be Viper chasing. Next Viper is a 500hp, 500 torque and 500 cubic inch monster. The next C6 is supposing to have a base hp of 450.
So do you guys think the japanese I6s will fall to the wayside? If both Toyota and Nissan move away from I6s in their top GT cars, what will be left? Will the japanese V8s be the tuner's dream like the I6s were (are)? Hmmm...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2001, 08:50 PM   #32
F20C
AF Enthusiast

inline 6 are incredible smooth engines. It would be sad to see them take that away. They should built a 6 Cylinder model to get back some of the R&D money.
F20C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 12:00 AM   #33
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

So we know Toyota is burning the midnight oil for a furious upscale GT. Many are saying that it will be labeled alphanumerically in the 4500GT sense (maybe not those exact numbers) reflecting the famed Toyota 2000GT Bond car. But what about the name Supra? Will it just end there? Some periodicals suggest that Toyota is not replacing the Supra with this exclusive GT. They are simply adding it to their lineup. They speculate that the Supra will continue on, redesigned, sitting in the same market spotlight where it has been, between sport compacts and sport exotics (between the Celica and the GT-whatever). Maybe here we will see the inline-6s continue on.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2001, 12:30 AM   #34
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Naming it alphanumerically tells you it will be Lexus badged. The price will probaly be not within reach of working class people.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:35 AM   #35
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally posted by F20C
Naming it alphanumerically tells you it will be Lexus badged. The price will probaly be not within reach of working class people.
I don't know. All Lexus are rebadged Toyotas that have "word" names in the japanese market. The speculation is that even the Toyota car will have the alphanumeric name. The only alphanumeric Toyota in recent history is the MR2. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. Do you see what I mean?
Old 08-25-2001, 12:45 AM   #36
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Yes I do see your point. The same way Infiniti Q45 is a Nissan Cima. Anyhow that's because Lexus etc doesn't exsist in Japan. It only exsist in America because people there are image cautious. That's why Japanese manufacture have Acura, Lexus and Infiniti sub-divisions. Domestic have Cadillac and Lincoln etc. You can't advertise a 50K+ car in a brand known for economy cars.
Old 08-25-2001, 12:51 AM   #37
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

I just meant to say that the price is a better argument for it coming to America as a Lexus instead of a Toyota rather than the name. It must be getting late...
Old 08-26-2001, 07:37 AM   #38
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I don't think he's getting what you are saying. REGARDLESS of whether it will be classed under the Lexus placard, or Toyota nameplate, this new GT will (most likely) be with an alphanumeric name, and marked with astronomical pricing. And furthermore, I don't think that Toyota wants this car to be easily accessible to all consumers. It's more of a "this is what we can do" production auto to step beyond the NSX. If the GT does come ashore, I don't think Lexus would want its prestigious lineup plagued with a brute, uncomfortable racer since ALL of their cars are known to be pampering luxo-cruisers; therefore it would probably be fit into the upper niche of the Toyota selection--especially now that their TRD name is becoming much more publicized to the general public.

I don't care if I cannot afford this car, and it would just be nice to know that it exists. Would people want Toyota's next flagship sports car to be a cheap low grade model? And as for ones that we can afford like the 93+ Supra, there is still the possibility of a competetively priced mid-range Supra successor...
Old 10-09-2001, 02:38 AM   #39
TRDsupraTT
AF Newbie

I don't know if anyone has this yet...terribly sorry if this is a repost. But it doesn't look that nice anymore.
TRDsupraTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 04:26 AM   #40
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Another computer generated image, hmm? I've quit wasting my time thinking about what it could look like--I trust that Toyota will do a fine job with the exterior design.

On another note, more recent (November) automotive publications are stating that Toyota has finally decided AGAINST the 4.3L V-8 used in so many different models in their lineup, and WILL go forth with a 5.0L V-12 (mid-engine placement is still uncertain), thereby code-naming the concept, 5000GT or GT5000 (as we all had hoped). The whole project is also set up to coincide with Toyota's upcoming Formula One movement (best wishes to McNish) next year. With such a lofty position on the automotive ladder, there seems to be plenty of market space for a less expensive, V-6 powered sports car, correct? Perhaps Toyota is gearing up to release two new go-fast products in the not-so-distant future.

NSX: Still just a V-6 in the upcoming facelift, with a promise of only a V-8 in the next full redesign? Beware.
Old 10-10-2001, 12:13 AM   #41
eminem
AF Newbie

Talking MM

I am waitting

For the new TOYOTA Supra TT 400hp V8 and i hope its true cause it will beat the GTR skyline SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
but the mk5 in mkiv.com that will look so bad for supra and i hope that they make it better look.

by the way that dosen't mean that i heat GTR Sky line :smoker2:
Old 10-13-2001, 03:10 AM   #42
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Okay.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:29 AM   #43
SalKhan
AF Newbie

Re: MM

Goodness... TT V8 better put out more than 400!!

Quote:
Originally posted by eminem
I am waitting
For the new TOYOTA Supra TT 400hp V8 and i hope its true cause it will beat the GTR skyline SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
but the mk5 in mkiv.com that will look so bad for supra and i hope that they make it better look.
by the way that dosen't mean that i heat GTR Sky line :smoker2:
SalKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 10:39 PM   #44
MR Yasir
AF Newbie

The 5000gt will be the most expensive toyota ever made. It's going to be close to 100k and will take the likes of the 360 and the NSX. It'll probably be sold as a lexus in the US. The name 5000gt is to state that the car is an evolution of the 2000gt as stated earlier.

Toyota still has not stated their plans for a supra in the future.
Old 11-09-2001, 07:20 PM   #45
F20C
AF Enthusiast

Next NSX will be amazing nevertheless. It will burrow heavily from the Honda DualNote concept car. Although it's only a V6 at the back people forget there could be a 3 in line eletric engine at front.

Toyota only said they will produce a V12 supercar to celebrate entry into F1.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Supra > Rumors