Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
NeedACarBad
AF Newbie

Cougar or Tiburon

I'm looking for a used car for around 10g. I'm not really looking for anything extremely fast, I'd rather it just be in really good shape and look good. I like the way both of these cars look but am not sure which one would generally hold up better. If anyone knows anything about either one like gas mileage, reliability,quality please write back. Thanks
NeedACarBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #2
xjoeharperx
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to xjoeharperx
Re: Cougar or Tiburon

As a former cougar owner....dont get it unless you want to part with a lot of money...the parts (and you will need them) are very expensive
xjoeharperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
i would go with the tiburon, the cougar looks like a retarded hot wheel to me
Old 02-22-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
NeedACarBad
AF Newbie

Are the tiburons usually reliable?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:05 AM   #5
gigglesnirt
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gigglesnirt
yeah, they now supposedly have the same reliability of a honda
Old 02-22-2004, 12:38 PM   #6
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesnirt
yeah, they now supposedly have the same reliability of a honda
hyundai's been bangin out some halfway decent cars lately. their new one that looks like a jag and mercedes cross is nice(nice looking at least) and they're produceing a 2.7 supercharged something in the future. for 10g's you could do a lot better than either of these cars though.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:19 PM   #7
billclinton
AF Enthusiast

i think hyundai uses mitsubishi engines, and i believe the mercedes jag cross you are talking about is the KIA amanti. I like it but i think its like 30grand. Dude get like a used camaro firebird or mustang from my experiance they are all very reliable, My friend has 1995 Firebird with a trans am engine in it (only one i have ever seen) and single exhaust at 107k miles the only thing he needed was a new muffler and an oxygen system, AND TONS AND TONS of tires. I have owned a mustang 5.0 other then needing a clutch nothing has gone wrong with it. My airconditioner was removed when I got it so i dont know if that went bad. My friend has a 1996 Mustang Cobra and nothing has gone wrong with it, it does only have 50kmiles on it . My dad owns a 1998 camaro z28 and all that has gone wrong with it is the wiper fell off and left a gash in the windsheild. Ford realy isnt unreliable anymore neither is chevy. The parts in the camaro do look a little cheap tho.

NoLlieSkillz : its called

NoLlieSkillz : neutral drop at redline
billclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
NeedACarBad
AF Newbie

What about a Mitsubishi 3000GT? If I could find one from the mid 90's, would that be better?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: Re: Cougar or Tiburon

if you are looking at a 3000gt, i would rather get a 300zx. the 3000gt is a little bit faster, but the 300zx is cheaper, so with the money you save, you can get a 300zx and put mods on it and make it as fast as a 3000gt. plus, the 300zx looks much much better imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billclinton
My friend has 1995 Firebird with a trans am engine in it (only one i have ever seen) and single exhaust at 107k miles the only thing he needed was a new muffler and an oxygen system, AND TONS AND TONS of tires.
i know a guy who just put a trans-am engine in his firebird. i call it a formula now cuz that is practically a formula is, a firebird with a trans-am engine in it.

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
crashtestdummy4
AF Newbie

Get a Tiburon, Cougar's are money pits. If you need proof, go to www.carreview.com, and read the reviews on cougars.
crashtestdummy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:53 AM   #11
kingpinn
AF Enthusiast

man if you not going to mod and you dont care about speed the get a civic ex there good around town and ok on the highway and get good mpg and very reliability.......thanks.....
kingpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
MunG35
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to MunG35 Send a message via Yahoo to MunG35

92 Cougar XR7 you wont believe how fast that car is... only 6k too... also its been very reliable for my frend.

I like tiburon also... but i hate the new FWD cougars... plz spare me from those

Also, as a Civic owner, i can tell you that those wont disappoint. Very quick cars. And they wont die on you... till 300000 miles or more
Old 05-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #13
Oldengineer
AF Regular

Cool

Civics are OK, but, thet're not 300K cars. Two of my kids owned late model Civics. One went 116K, but, then needed a heart transplant. My son replaced the engine and sold the car. My daughter had a 98 DX Coupe, that, at 80K, turned into a money pit. The final straw was when the thing cracked its exhaust manifold/convertor . The parts alone were almost $1000. We got rid of it. Both cars did mostly interstate miles, and, recieved meticulous care. The Accord, with its longer legs, holds up better. I had a 79 model that went almost 160K before I sold it. Only problem was fighting body rot around the rear wheel wells.

Regards:
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #14
CamaroSSBoy346
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CamaroSSBoy346

Quote:
92 Cougar XR7 you wont believe how fast that car is... only 6k too... also its been very reliable for my frend.
Yep. Any MN12 Cougar is the shit yo. (I have the MN12 TBird) Good sleeper cars, not to mention a wide range of avaible engines (depending on what year)
3.8L V6-170HP
3.8L V6S/C-260HP
5.0L V8-200HP
4.6L V8-205HP
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 302 H.O, A9L ECU swap, 65mm TB, 73mm Granetelli MAF, FRPP 30lb injectors, Walbro 255, MSD ignition, Powerdyne BD11 supercharger, Efans, T-5 swap w/ FRPP flywheel, Ram HDX clutch and adjustable Steeda clutch quadrant, 4.10 gears, Nitto NT555R radials
2000 OBS Tahoe Z71 6k HIDs, 33" Goodyears. 280k mile daily beater
CamaroSSBoy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:17 PM   #15
TorinoGT69
Automotive Master

Send a message via MSN to TorinoGT69
both are junk.
TorinoGT69 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A