Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #1
Nehmo
AF Newbie

Where is Adjustment for Parking Brake 1996 Lumina?

Where is Adjustment for Parking Brake 1996 Lumina?
It must be under the minivan somewhere, but an exact location would be helpful.
I'm getting nothing with the parking brake. I removed the rear drums, and the cable does indeed move the lever inside the drums. But it doesn't move it enough. I'm sure a repair manual would tell me, but I don't have one.
Nehmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:18 AM   #2
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

Re: Where is Adjustment for Parking Brake 1996 Lumina?

Lumina, or Lumina APV?

The Luminas I've worked on have the adjustment on the cable assembly, towards the rear of the vehicle. The Lumina APV may be the same. Never been under one.

The park-brake cable rarely needs adjustment, but the service brake adjustment is often screwed-up on those drum brakes causing problems with the regular brakes AND the park brake.

I despise leading-trailing shoe drum brakes.

Get the service brake adjusted BEFORE you dick with the park brake adjustment.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #3
Nehmo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Lumina, or Lumina APV?

The Luminas I've worked on have the adjustment on the cable assembly, towards the rear of the vehicle. The Lumina APV may be the same. Never been under one.

The park-brake cable rarely needs adjustment, but the service brake adjustment is often screwed-up on those drum brakes causing problems with the regular brakes AND the park brake.

I despise leading-trailing shoe drum brakes.

Get the service brake adjusted BEFORE you dick with the park brake adjustment.
(I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply. I couldn't find my post.)
1996 Chevrolet Lumina APV 3.4L
The Service Brakes (or regular foot brakes) are also useless. I removed both rear brake drums, and everything looked in place. I didn't adjust them outward. Maybe I should have. I figured the problem was in the Master Cylinder, and I'm in the middle of replacing that. I removed the master cylinder/ABS unit and replaced the master cylinder keeping the old ABS unit. They are together in this vehicle.
I still need to re-install the master cylinder/ABS unit into the minivan. I'm trying to figure out the bleeding strategy. I don't have a vice, but I'd like to bleed the master cylinder before I put it in the minivan.
Regarding the parking brake. I have to look more carefully for the adjuster. So far, I can't find it. It's hard for me to get under there. I'm in an apartment building parking lot where you're not supposed to work on vehicles.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:53 AM   #4
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

See my reply in your OTHER thread about this same brake-system issue.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 09:05 PM   #5
Nehmo
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
See my reply in your OTHER thread about this same brake-system issue.
https://www.automotiveforums.com/vbu....php?t=1159293 Here's the other thread in this forum, if somebody wants it.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina APV