Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Non-Performance This is the place to discuss interior, exterior, and other non-performance related modifications.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
aimforcody
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to aimforcody
Need some help on some repairs

Hey all,
i have a chevy rally sport '97 cavalier, last winter it was hit by some stupid plow truck driver that apparently as he stated "couldn't see over his plow", well regardless to say, my car got some decent damage done to it and i was wondering if i can get some help as to if some of these parts are easily replaced, or if i should be taking it to a shop to do it, now i can do a lot of repairs with my uncles, when i say take it to a shop, i mean like am i gonna have to take out the engine and such, the pictures attached show the damage, and iw as also wondering if maybe a simple pop and weld will do the trick. You'll see what i mean in the pictures. i already expect/ know i am going to need to replace the bumber assembly but that metal front part there, is what i was really wondering about, and as you can or might be able to see, my radiator is kinda bent up too, any ideas as to how much that will cost and the "easyness" of instalation.

thanks alot

[top veiw]

[bottom veiw]

aimforcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
petescavy
AF Newbie

Re: Need some help on some repairs

need more pics of the damage
petescavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #3
Classicrocjunkie
Lifted GMT-360!

Send a message via AIM to Classicrocjunkie

Thats your A/c condenser in front of your radiator. If you want a full repair Your going to need.

-Front bumper cover (fascia)
-Front bumper energy absorber (crush guard black honey comb thing)
-Front bumper metal brace which is crack in your pic
-Radiator support braces running from upper to lower support
- A/c condenser
- Possibly new radiator if thats cracked too.

1)Remove the headlights
2)Remove the front bumper (going to have to remove fender well liners to access all the bolts holding it to the fender and fender liner.
3)The energy absorber honey comb crap, is riveted to the metal bumper brace so it will come out in once piece
4)Remove the metal bumper with bolts holding it to frame (3-4 per side) if those braces are bent, since your bumper is cracked in half use them as leverage and bent the brackets back in place.
5)The braces between the upper and lower radiator supports are just bolted in too.
6)Check out all the damage to your a/c condenser and radiator. If its not bad or leaking, just leave it. The condenser is a costly part.

Thats all the damage i can see that happend.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2010 Glastron GT 205XL
Classicrocjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
petescavy
AF Newbie

thats y i said bout more pics cause he could have the headlights broke too and there might be the pssiblity that where the bumper is welded to is bent too. and as well there might need to be adjustment on the fenders too.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
aimforcody
AF Newbie

ok thanks alot. i'll try to get some more pics, im having some other problems with my hood not latching all the way, like it will shut to the point to where it will latch as if i had jsut pulled the hood release, but not past that, andy ideas for that?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Getting the hood release to work again is something you would need to do after the new radiator or condenser was in, and you had straightened out the damage to the thin metal pieces that position the rad. and condenser. Then before you put the bumper back on, while you can lie under the car and check out the positon of the two mating parts of the hood hinge, you adjust (or hammer) them back into mating position. I always like to add a piece of wire that lets me open the hood from below the bumper. This is because the hood release cable will eventually snap, leaving you with the hood shut and unable to easily open it.
It took me almost as long to get the hood release realigned as it did to replace the hood, fender, front bumper and both headlights on my car. You may even need to loosen the bolts where the hood connects to the hinges and reposition it.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
aimforcody
AF Newbie

wow thanks very good detail there, im gonna get started on all the repairs this weekend. i aprreciate it all =]
and the only other damage i saw is my headlights brackets, but that looks pretty simple as jsut removing some bolts and replacing the brackets, or is there more to it?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
khooper
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforcody
Hey all,
i have a chevy rally sport '97 cavalier, last winter it was hit by some stupid plow truck driver that apparently as he stated "couldn't see over his plow", well regardless to say, my car got some decent damage done to it and i was wondering if i can get some help as to if some of these truck parts are easily replaced, or if i should be taking it to a shop to do it, now i can do a lot of repairs with my uncles, when i say take it to a shop, i mean like am i gonna have to take out the engine and such, the pictures attached show the damage, and iw as also wondering if maybe a simple pop and weld will do the trick. You'll see what i mean in the pictures. i already expect/ know i am going to need to replace the bumber assembly but that metal front part there, is what i was really wondering about, and as you can or might be able to see, my radiator is kinda bent up too, any ideas as to how much that will cost and the "easyness" of instalation.

thanks alot
just bring your truck to the nearest repair shop so it won't be hassle.
besides you can ask discounts on some repair shop.
----
Khooper
khooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
aimforcody
AF Newbie

i never said anything about a truck....
way to add a word to my quote....
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #10
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Probably you will need to adjust the headlights, as the mountings may be slightly skewed due to the damage. Make sure the headlamp adjuster mechanisms are free and lubed before you remount the headlamp assemblies. I had to use penetrating oil on them (overnight soak). I got them so they would 'turn', then put oil on the mechanisms before I put them on the car. I aimed the headlights by parking it facing the back wall of the Walmart one night - where I knew the pavement was nice and level.
I usually replace all of the headlamp bulbs if the car has gotten hit, or at least carry a spare or two in the trunk.
I forget if it takes a 'torx' bit to adjust the headlamps, or if they use a phillips head or hex head type of adjuster.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
petescavy
AF Newbie

ahhh ur hood might be bent up a small bit its no big deal hard to notice but when replacing the latch it might not fit rite there either check the finges they might be bent a small bit

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Cavalier > Non-Performance