Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
JRS2001
AF Newbie

Unhappy 01 Sebring Intermittent Start/Fuse blowing

Hello fellow members.

I really need some help here please, I don't know where else to turn. My problem lies with my girlfriends 01 Sebring (2.7L)

Lately it has had trouble starting, one minute it is fine the next its dead as doornail, no starter clicking ..... nothing just dead. When this happens the fuse located under the hood labelled "START / FUEL" which is a 20 amp fuse is blown. You can replace it with another and sometimes immediately it will blow it again. There is an aftermarket remote car starter installed on this car (worked fine for approx 1 year) and I have had it rechecked and reprogramed by the installer, according to him all connections checked out. After having this done the car was fine for one week, started numerous times, then tonight nothing. I have noticed that the overhead dome light makes a very audible buzzing noise that just doesnt seem right. Also I have noted that sometimes after having repeatedly trying to start the "dead" car the dash display will display the word "DONE"? Can anyone tell me why this is? I really hope someone out there can tell me what that fuse is connected to and why it keeps blowing. Is this a starter issue? A remote starter issue? Fuel delivery related? All I know is that it has to be electrical related as the fuse just keeps getting blown. Any information or help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to the replies and hopefully I can get this annoying issue resolved.

Thanks
JRS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
jxi76
AF Newbie

Hi!!! I had the same exact problem with my 1996 Sebring. My husband replaced the starter, and it is working like a charm. No more problems.
jxi76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
mrcuiser
AF Newbie

Re: 01 Sebring Intermittent Start/Fuse blowing

I agree. Check under the hood for the fuse block. Remove the cover and look for the number 8 fuse. It should be a yellow 20A fuse for the ignition. Pull the fuse and see if it is blown. If it is, it is very likely that the starter is shot. Replace it.
mrcuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #4
JRS2001
AF Newbie

Hello again

Sorry I forgot to post back, but the starter was replaced and all is well. No more fuse blowing or intermittent starting. Thanks to all those that posted to help me with my problem. No just have to get the dam blower motor resistor fixed! Can you beleive they want $60 bucks Canadian for a resistor? Anyhow the Sebring is running fine and looking forward to many more miles. again many thanks.
JRS2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Jeff709
AF Newbie

Re: 01 Sebring Intermittent Start/Fuse blowing

I have a '97 and have gone through 3 starters in 175,000 km.
Could there be any other problem causing the starters to go???
Jeff709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #6
gorgolio
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 01 Sebring Intermittent Start/Fuse blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff709
I have a '97 and have gone through 3 starters in 175,000 km.
Could there be any other problem causing the starters to go???
Overheating. If the heat shield is missing (with remanufactured Startres) this will accelerate the damage to the Starter. They way Chrysler has mounted (very clever I would say) it takes all the heat from your exhaust. As you may have noticed there's only 2 in. between the Exhaust Line and the Starter itself.

PS: I am at Starter No.4 on my LXi in 97,000 miles
gorgolio is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible