Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
tazz3
AF Regular

jensen healy cars

any jensen healy car fans here,
they are really cool cars.
they are like the size of a mgb and they come on rag tops or coupes
tazz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:11 AM   #2
tigermiata
AF Enthusiast

Replacement parts might be readily available but it might be difficult to find 8-track tapes of Bachman Turner Overdrive to play while driving one...

Seriously, I like the looks. The Jensen GT is interesting enough to ALMOST suggest forgoing the drop-top version.
2005 Acura RSX Type S
tigermiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 01:43 PM   #3
Hudson
Old Mod

Jensen-Healeys are a bit larger than an MGB and were only offered as roadsters. The Jensen GT (no Healey) was the wagon-like hatchback version. Although they had Lotus engines, I found little to recommend about them. I like their styling, but they are a bit too large to be a great handling (even in its era) car. Most of the car's parts come from other companies' parts bins. Aside from the Lotus engine, there are a number of Triumph parts as well.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #4
tigermiata
AF Enthusiast

Gee, Hudson....

...at the risk of disgareeing, to exclude the J-H over size, one would have to --being fair-- do the same to the "big Healey". Here's a couple of sites, and they're in the same weight class:

http://austinhealey.com/catalog/3000.../3001spec.html

http://www.conceptcarz.com/folder/ve...sp?car_id=1354

...not that weight is everything, of course. Not that one would be as nimble as an MGB (which in turn is not as nimble as an Elan, where does one draw the line?), but I'd suspect they'd make fine tourers. Never driven one, mind you, just talked to owners at various Brit Car shows.

It's sad that the teething problems of the Lotus 907 engine caused such trouble for Jensen, but by now one could learn of tweaks and precautions to make the car liveable, more so than in the early 1970's.

Yeah, I find it ironic that for political reasons the Jensen GT is not a "Jensen-Healey" stricly speaking, when I find that amongst my favorite early Healey cars were enclosed coupes like the Elliot.

YMMV
2005 Acura RSX Type S
tigermiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
Hudson
Old Mod

Risk disagreeing...please!

Having owned a Jensen-Healey, I didn't get the same feel of "tossability" from it compared to the smaller B or Elan. Yes, I would put the 3000 in a similar category...but the big Healey has the fantastic styling to make up for it's cruiser demeanor.

If one were to modify a Jensen-Healey, it would be interesting to put in a more modern version of the Lotus four...perhaps the 300hp turbo version? Perhaps the Lotus V8 (since it is quite compact) would be an even better replacement. Then let's drop the Triumph solid rear...improve the interior....hmm....
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 01:35 AM   #6
Jimsgems
AF Newbie

Jensen Healy Fan

I'm currently looking for a Jensen Healy in the Southern California area. Despite the electrical system by Lucas (The Lord of Darkness) and the engine by Lotus, there are several good reasons for own and drive this somewhat unknown classis British sports car. It is fun and responsive, it fits a somewhat beefy American frame and there are several very good suppliers of after market parts and pieces and it can be built and re-built on a budget.

About the handling issues... New bushing technology, Koni adjustable shocks, tires and rims makes this sports car a player in the SOLO II class of "Pocker Change Racer", the benifit is that the car has not been discovered by the masses. Prices still remain affordable, it doesn't matter if you are looking for a thrasher or a concour car, you can find them. When you consider my Cobra "Replica" cost over $50K, the cost of $7,500 for a really nice Jensen Healy is a real bargin.

Well just one mans opinion.
Jimsgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #7
lrd56
AF Newbie

jensen healy cars

look in hemmings motor news they have jensen healys and lots of other vehicles look for hemmings at your local book store or look on the net for hemmings .com
lrd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
vjeong
AF Newbie

Re: jensen healy cars

I know of Two Jensen Healy's for sale in Northern California. One is supposed to of had all the latest go fast goodies in the engine. The other needs to be gone through to get running. Parts wise the cars are all there. I didn't really look closer to find the real "age" of the cars. If your interested in them. email vjeong8@yahoo.com The cars need to be gone by June, 2004
Other cars of Interest;
ford Thunderbird SC, Supercharged 3.8 v6
Pontiac Trans Am, 1989
1979 MG Midget

All cars owned by same owner and is loosing storage yard.
vjeong is offline   Reply With Quote