Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
fritcr
AF Regular

99 v8 awd Mountaineer missing?

My dad has a 99 that seems to have a dead miss on 2 cly. He put new plugs and wires on it but that did not help. I haven't looked at it and have never worked on a Ford V8. Does it have coil paks like a chevy? Just wondering if it is normal for one of the paks to go out? I told him I would look at it with him tonight but didn't know what I was going to be looking at.
Rob
fritcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 99 v8 awd Mountaineer missing?

If the 1999 is like the 2000 (which I suspect it is) there are two coil packs on the V8. I'm not sure I'd say it is normal for a pack to fail, but it is not uncommon for coils and coil packs to fail in general. It's not a Ford issue on these.

Has your dad pulled codes for the Mountaineer that shows a misfire code on the 2 cylinders? Do they happen to be 2 cylinders that share a coil? The two packs are the same part number, so you could swap them out and see if the misfire codes follow the coils.

Did the issue get any better or worse with the new plugs and wires? I did experience an intermittant MAF sensor on my 2000 Mountaineer V8 last winter that would cause a random loss of power which sometimes felt like a misfire. On the highway, it felt more like a very short complete loss of power. Fortunately the PCM was smart enough to detect the intermittant MAF and set a pending code for an intermittant MAF sensor. Ford hasn't had MAF sensor issues like GM did in the '80's and '90's though, so I wouldn't shotgun out the MAF if there isn't a code for it.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
fritcr
AF Regular

You know I didn't ask him if he scanned for the codes but he was pretty sure it was missing on 2 cyl. I'll have him or I will swap the paks and see if it follows those cyls. I am pretty sure he siad they were 2 on the same coil. He used to be a gm mechnaic so he is pretty good with stuff. Just not so much fords.
Rob
Old 12-23-2008, 09:47 PM   #4
fritcr
AF Regular

Update...it is a 2000 not a 99 and it is NOT missing on a certian one or two plugs. It seems more random and spratic. Also, there is no codes either. AND...now it suddenly stopped doing it??? Really stumped now. Maybe it fixed itself!!! LOL That never happens.
Rob
Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
shorod
SHO No Mo

But these are Fords, they have self-healing capabilities.

Does the scan tool you used to check for codes also check for pending codes? Maybe there are some pending codes waiting to tell you something. Or, did it stop acting up shortly after filling the tank with gas? Is it cold where your dad is at, and maybe when you got there the weather had changed considerably since it last acted up? Any changes that may explain why it's not acting up currently?

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer