Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
nupestp
AF Newbie

Question 2006 Mounty AWD whirring noise

Anytime one of my wheels slips (on ice, snow, dirt, gravel), and catches grip again, I hear a whirring like noise (sounds like front left of vehicle), and I can also FEEL it in the gas pedal and steering wheel, and it lightly pulls to the left.
It happens also when I engage the AWD. Is this normal or is something wrong....I have 60k miles, and I'm under warranty, albeit with a $100 deductible, so I'd like to get this fixed unless i'm worried for nothing. I've never had AWD before.....
Anyone??
nupestp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 2006 Mounty AWD whirring noise

Does your Mountaineer have RSC or AdvanceTrac? If so, try switching it off and see if it still makes the noise and acts the same. It sounds like what you are experiencing is just the stability/traction control engaging. The ABS pump is likely the whirring noise (normal) modulating the brakes, which contributes to the feel in the steering and pedal.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
nupestp
AF Newbie

I have the advance-trac...not sure how to switch it off, however I'll chk the manual. That sounds like that could be it, but is it wise to drive without the adv-trac on? Probably not since we didn't have it on our older vehicles....I'll try turning it off today and get back...THX!!!
nupestp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

Everything you describe sounds normal with the exception of the vehicle pulling to the left. That is unless you were sliding at the time the AdvanceTrac kicks in. So, if you turn off the AdvanceTrac and the noises and pulsations go away, then I'd be inclined to say you don't have an issue. The stability control is doing what it's supposed to.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Mountaineer