Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 06:02 PM   #1
xorta
AF Newbie

Skyline vs Merc: theory

Japanese engines' (say rb26dett) output is often wound up to 1000 hp and more, which is 3-5 times the stock output. At the same time, European cars' engines output after tuner's interference (guys like Brabus, Carlsson, Hammann, AC Schnitzer, ABT) increases by humble 30, rarely 50 percent. I mean I've never heard of a 1500 hp SL600 or M5. Why is that, what's so wrong with German engines? Is it because European tuners prefer to avoid inclined damage to the engine? Then what about damage to 2,6 litre rb26dett producing 1300 hp? I guess a 6 litre Merc engine would suffer less at the same output. Or is it because euro motors have some inherent problem with being turbocharged?
Old 10-16-2004, 12:55 AM   #2
FerrariLvr
AF Newbie

Re: Skyline vs Merc: theory

It does not work that way, "I guess a 6 litre Merc engine would suffer less at the same output."

What is your point? Yes, the RB26 is a very well built engine, but as for the Merc cooment, you really do not need that amout of power for circuit racing. The RB26 that is putting out 1300 is not ging to be driven on a road course, its only going to be for the 1/4.

What I am trying to say is, you are comparing apples to oranges.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
nismo_power
AF Enthusiast

thats the great part about circuit racing you dont need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars upgrading engine components. i would imagine circuit cars would have around the area of 500 hp or so going to the wheels, but they rely on the key tuning of suspension.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
xorta
AF Newbie

what i am comparing is the potential of the engines and its realisation, i wasn't talking about applications at all. sl600 can be neither dedicated drag nor dedicated track racer, it's a luxury FUN car. my point is 1300 hp is much more FUN than 600hp, if that's an answer to your question, Ferrari Lvr. And don't tell me its useless, cause when in a "traffic light grand prix" your half a million worth merc is munched by a cheap stock viper, that hurts. many would pay well for a merc viper-killer.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
tazdev
I'm still here

thread closed.

double post.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance