Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
ladydealer
AF Newbie

1998 Sephia WIll Not Shift out of Park

Car had been sitting for a couple months because I was moving but when I went out to start it, it always started fine, never moved it thought.

I am in the process of getting it registered and the darned thing will not shift. The shifter itself will not move. Yes, the button is depressed and working as is the brake. Took off the casing around the shifter and the components all work when pressing the brake and button.

Someone said in another forum that it is a fuse/switch/relay but I cannot find any other information on where to look or what to replace. I really am in a pickle here so any help is greatly appreciated.
ladydealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 03:25 AM   #2
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: 1998 Sephia WIll Not Shift out of Park

Is it still starting? Not real sure on a solution, but I got a corrola out of that sort of problem by rocking it back and forth with my leg out the door. Got a lot of other options for you though.

1)If it starts, I'd probably check to make sure the transmission is full.

These are from the shop manual:
2)I think the fuse they are refering to is either the 15A "room" fuse, or the 10 amp ECU fuse. These should be either under the dash somewhere (most likely) or in the engine compartment somewhere. If you can't find em i'll walk out side and have a looksee for you. (I considered burning the A/T section of this thing when i got it. to damn confusing. The manual trans, what i bought it for, wasn't a whole lot clearer.)

3) Brake pedal switch is broken. there should be one down by the pedal for the lights and one for the trans. if you want to test it, cut the wires (or pull them out) for the one going to the trans and splice them together to see if that corrects your problem (AFTER YOU HAVE CHECKED THE STOP FUSE, that is. you can find these names on the back of the fuse box cover. and there could be just one switch that does both... not so sure)

4) they also mention the shift lock actuator could have broken or disconnected wire harness, those are the square things under the shift lever is what i get from looking at the picture... but it sounds like you already checked that.

well, hope some of that helps. i just learned more about an auto than i ever wanted to know Maybe someone who can do more than just read a few things out of a manual will come along.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Sephia