Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 05:06 AM   #16
kraller
AF Newbie

Re: Whats better? Discovery or Grand Cherokee

I own a 2001 Discovery series II and I have been offroading in it riding along with some GCs from my work. I dont think there is any match aginst a disco, definetly there are some lifted GCs that can handle anything but then on the other hand i have been to a few events where the discovery team definetly out ran the Jeep team altogether. But my response is already trained because I own one. Whatd you expect? :-)
kraller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 11:34 AM   #17
Cbass94
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Cbass94

ok, first off Greg, What are you thinking posting those pics on this thread, a stock discovery has more suspension articulation that that GC does. I mean, are we kidding with this question? A grand cherokee is definately better on road than the disco, but if you're going to just drive on the road, get an audi rs4, it will do just as good in the snow (it has AWD too). But if you're going to go off-road, there is no question the LR is better. Back when our disco was stock, it could easily keep up with some heavily modded jeeps all we did was change the tires. And now, there is barely anything that can touch it. So I guess we don't even need to mention the Defender, cause this is between discos and GC, right? Can anyone say Camel Trophy?
[IMG]C:\documents and settings\bduncan\desktop\my stuff\my pictures\cars\jeep thing.jpg[/IMG]
Cbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #18
tron1313
AF Newbie

the land rover has a frame the cherokee has no frame it's that simple!
tron1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 10:13 PM   #19
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
Ok funny you should bring this up. My family has a 96 Discovery SE and right now its in the body shop (My mom backed the Benz into it ) Anyways guess what car they gave us for a rental? A 2003 GC laredo. On the road it feels a little more spirited and feels like it handles a little better. But it seems like it bumps around a lot more then our LR. Now for the fun part! Of course today me and my dad HAD to take the thing off road for just to compare. Well here’s how it went down. Across the street from us is a trail next to a pond so its very muddy but its winter so its mostly hard dirt and ice spots we hit that first. We hit the trial going pretty quick for off roading and I was impressed the GC handled it like a champ. It was hard to say if the LR or GC was better at this because when you are 4wheeling on ice their is a lot of slipping but the GC seemed to handle it just as well as our Discovery. It felt in control and stable like the LR. Moving to the next spot: Dirt and gravel pit- This is where you separate the men from the boys Well the first thing I noticed was I didn’t feel as confident going at things head on as I do in the LR. I found my self rubbing the front lip of it on things when I would go head on with a obstacle it took what I through at it. On some of the up hill climes I noticed a little more wheel slippage and distemperment from the car, however still did well. On the "steep down hill decent" is where I felt a little uneasy. This is not my car, I don’t know how it reacts to things, and I don’t know if this car can handle this really "STEEP" hill. (Right then I was really missing my Landys HDC) So I sat at the top of the hill for a min thinking of the truck flipping and rolling down the hill. I was just about to turn around and take the easy section off the hill when I went "F**k it" I bitch shifted it into FWD low and went for it (What? its a rental ) Well boy was I a little surprised at first, sh*t no HDC I forgot. So I quickly started pumping the brake keeping the thing under control. It keep it self pretty composed now and it felt pretty stable (Martha Stewart-"Low center of gravity, its a good thing") Anyways it made it to the bottom and again I had to be careful not to hit the lip. I don’t know if this is thanks to the car or me though. So now im tired and need to get some sleep so LR get my vote.

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows

Last edited by RACER D12; 02-17-2004 at 08:00 AM.
RACER D12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #20
RACER D12
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RACER D12
Alright so after driving both cars I still feel the Discovery is a better car. The GC did do pretty much everything asked of it but just not as well or easily as the LR. I mean by just looking at the two cars you can tell they are different animals. On the Disco you can see it has a lot of room in the wheel wells for suspension travel. However on the GC it looks lower and the tires look too big for the wells. Also look at the interiors. LR is all leather and when you get in it you feel like you are going on a safari or something. The GC on the other hand feels like any other SUV with its fabric seats and such. I don’t know how LR does it but they make their cars luxurious but yet still rugged and durable. Also mind I am comparing a 96 LR Discovery to a 2003 GC, just think if you compare a 2003 LR to the GC, its just no match. I think I was very open minded when I compared the two trucks, and I tried not to favor either car. The Land Rover is just a better car all around inside and out.

Edit:Almost forgot this is our second rental so far this week first one was a jeep liberty. Fun car but more of a match up for the free lander and I have never driven a free lander so I cant compare those two.

Lindsey Boost Enhancer, Blitz EBC, Hot Air Intake, Koni Yellows
RACER D12 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Land Rover > Discovery | LR3 | LR4