Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
enslow
AF Regular

HVAC and water leak

I have seen several problems and solutions to this water leaks in the HVAC system. None of the solutions seemed to solve my leak. Hopefully what I have found will help others. Pictures come later.

The water was not actually getting into the HVAC itself, but getting past the air inlet assembly from under the leaf screen directly into the firewall area. I will try a gasket maker that comes in rolls that I can press into place. there is no room for tools there.

Everywhere around the heater and AC module is dry. The foam on the inside firewall immediately under the air inlet assembly is soaked, yet the inside of the assembly is bone dry. I removed the entire to help diagnose the leak. A light rain was enough to fill the back foot well with an inch of water.

Hopefully more to follow.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
enslow
AF Regular

Re: HVAC and water leak

Here are some images of the water leak source.

1. Inside firewall water leak.jpg

Water was found only in the circled locations. No water around heater/ac box.

2. inside firewall looking up.jpg

Looking up from 1. above, I traced the soaked area up to air intake assembly which is sealed only with a foam gasket. Foam gaskets can get compressed with age and no longer seal.

3. Air Intake Assembly water leak.jpg

With the leaf screen removed, you can see the air intake assembly. The foam gasket is exposed and will allow water to enter. I tested it by squirting water on the foam gasket area. The water streamed into the car. This will have to be sealed with some sort of gasket maker.

Last edited by enslow; 01-05-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

What about some exterior silicon chalk. Stays somewhat flexible and can tolerate heat and cold.
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
enslow
AF Regular

Caulk in the caulking guns would be impossible to apply in this area. If you look at the 3rd image, there is no room to get a caulking gun in there. I have a putty like gasket material that doesn't harden. It came in a roll so I can roll out an appropriate length, stretch it so that I have an appropriate thickness, then press it into the gap. I thought of using RTV sealant that comes in tubes, but that stuff would also be hard to work with in the small area. I've had the heat on the area for the better part of the afternoon to dry it out. I'll apply this stuff shortly then do a water test.

Then time for some new carpet!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
enslow
AF Regular

As an aside to this leak, imidazol97 (thanks!) pointed me to some other sources of leaks in the area, mainly under the hood hinges. This is not a leak I'd like to fix, because it looks as if I'd have to remove the hood. I don't like removing hoods and doors.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

At times like this, I get my daughter with small hands. Squirt some on her finger and she can reach back behind it. Had a similar leak but other car..
aleekat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aleekat For This Useful Post:
enslow (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
imidazol97
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enslow View Post
As an aside to this leak, imidazol97 (thanks!) pointed me to some other sources of leaks in the area, mainly under the hood hinges. This is not a leak I'd like to fix, because it looks as if I'd have to remove the hood. I don't like removing hoods and doors.

In the past someone had pointed to a gooey, black material for sealing the watershield to the inside of the door metal due to leaks where the plastic cover had lost seal with the door metal. I believe it came in a roll held to a release paper much like the 3M caulk rope.

The 3M caulk is black and nonhardening that was mentioned. Check auto parts stores--this says it comes in 1 ft lengths, 60 to box...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_22984750-P_x_x?cm_mmc=ACQ-_-Google-_-enhancedRM-_-22984750&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=22984750&ci_gpa=pl a&ci_kw={keyword}&gclid=CLrL_oCF1LQCFVCd4AodKlAA3A #utm_source=acq&utm_medium=google&utm_campaign=enh ancedrm&utm_content=22984750

I think that kind of material might seal well around the opening you are having a problem with.
imidazol97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imidazol97 For This Useful Post:
enslow (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
enslow
AF Regular

I used something very similar, only it was on a roll, not in sticks. It was given to me last year to fix a similar leak in my Grand Marquis.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
enslow
AF Regular

I found a second leak around the air intake assembly. The water test around the wiper cowl area indicated the leak around the air intake was sealed so I was puzzled.

When I inspected the source from the inside again, the foam was dry from above the bottom seam of the intake air assembly, the part that switches from fresh air to recirculated air. I finally got my head right underneath and peaked up through the air intake assembly while holding the recirculation door open and could see water dripping from one of the wiper bolts. (Crazy design!)

I have not seen this leak documented yet, so maybe it's rare. However, if you're sealing up the air intake assembly leak, take a few minutes and seal the following up too.

1. wiper bolt.jpg
Here's the wiper bolt, removed and cleaned. This is the one that was leaking. I used more of my sealant, warmed it up in my hands and stretched it into a log shape to wrap around the bolt just under the bolt head.

2. wiper from below.jpg
Here's a shot of the cowl just under the wiper stud showing how the water could leak through the threads of the bolt, and possibly past the wiper stud, straight down into the air intake assembly. The poor quality is a result of me using ISO 3200 so I could take the picture without flash, as flash would have left a lot of shadow, and burned out part of the picture at such a close range.

3. wiper bolts sealed.jpg
Wiper bolts now sealed. The excess sealant was removed from the bolts.

Now to go out and look for leaks. Here's hoping.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
enslow
AF Regular

Ugh. The first job I did putting the sealant around the opening of the air intake assembly wasn't good enough. I spent a good hour trying to press the gasket material in place and it still leaks.

I should have warmed the gasket material first. I'm going to get the hair drier in there later and try to press the stuff in better. Then I'll paint it with a body seam sealer or something.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
enslow
AF Regular

I haven't worked on it for a couple of weeks, but I should add that I missed sealing the plastic hood to the metal bracket. Water will drain from the windshield onto the plastic hood, then leak between the plastic hood and bracket and drip straight into the air intake.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #12
enslow
AF Regular

I sealed up the plastic cover to the metal bracket. After the sprinkler test, there was no water on top of the plastic cover/metal bracket which indicates there was no water leaking from that seal.

However, there is still water getting in. When I look under the metal bracket supporting the wiper pivot, the wiper mechanism immediately underneath the metal bracket is very damp. This means I did not seal up the bolts and pivot well enough as I had done earlier. I will dry it out then apply some liquid electricians tape.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #13
GAnOhio
AF Newbie

I am guessing that this is all realated to the leak problem that I am having with my Lesabre. My driver's area and rear driver side get a lot of water and I am just now starting my search. These photos and comments are so helpful. Thank you for posting.
GAnOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
enslow
AF Regular

My LeSabre was still leaking through the fresh air HVAC intake. I found one more leak source (# 4 and 5 in photo)

To summarize, I used sealant around
1) the wiper pivot (may or may not have been leaking)
2) between plastic hood and metal wiper mount
3) body seam between wiper pivot mount and body (may or may not have been leaking)
4) lots of water flooding in here!
5) push pin holes- may or may not leak but worth it to seal up when installing the leaf screen.

Remember there were other leaks sealed not shown in this photo.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
enslow
AF Regular

Ugh.I did a leak test with the sprinkler.The first 30 minutes were good, all was dry.Then after an hour and a half, it started pouring in. It was coming in between the air inlet boxand the firewall. I can only assume that my sealing of the air inlet box under the leaf screen was not good enough.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre