Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:08 AM   #1
crafteee12
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to crafteee12
89 vette ignition/starting problems help!

New to site so bear with me. Desperately need thoughts and suggestions pertaining to my boyfriends 89 Corvette. Won't start or even turn over. As for (push button relay??) it WILL turn over atleast but no luck . My apologies if I've left you confused.Is that enough info??? If you can please help.
crafteee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #2
DannyC4
AF Regular

Re: 89 vette ignition/starting problems help!

mmm, so its not even turning over? r u sure the battery has enough power so that the starter can turn the engine over? it could be a dead/bad battery, or a bad starter, I had replaced my starter twice in the past 4 years, the solenoid was my problem, put u have to replaced the whole thing. Try to give it a jump from a running car to see what happens. Good Luck!!!
DannyC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

Let me guess...the dash lites come on, the battery is fine, but when you turn the key nothing happens, right?
Im guessing that if this problem has only just started happening, then that means the problem is intermittent...it only happens sometimes and when it does happen, if you wait a while(like 10 mins) and try again, then it will start(sometimes)...
Am I right?
If everything that Ive said so far sounds accurite, then Il bet there is a chip in the key isnt there?(looks like a metal notch surrounded with black plastic)....

Sounds like VATS to me...
malletslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:42 AM   #4
crafteee12
AF Newbie

Actually you described the problem exactly unfortunately it isnt the key that is the problem. I have checked and the chip is there. But after doing some checking he was told it has something to do with the anti theft device. Do you know anything about that?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:43 AM   #5
crafteee12
AF Newbie

By the way what is VATS?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
imabballer
AF Newbie

The VATS is the security system for your corvette. And don't worry, I'll try to help you with this, and it's not that expensive to fix! As far as your key, the key can look to be in perfect shape, chip still there, and it won't work at all. What happens on a corvette ignition is that there are contacts in the ignition itself that get worn, or otherwise fouled. This will not allow the ignition to read the proper code from your key, therefore the car thinks it is being stolen, and disables the car. You have two options, get the ignition replaced, which would be a few hundred bucks, OR buy a VATS bypass which is about $26. What you will need to do is take your key by to your local chevy dealership, or locksmith, and have them measure the resistance of the chip in your key. If i remember correctly it should be a number from about 1 to 15. Then go to www.ecklers.com and type in "VATS" and it will bring up the bypass modules and replacement keys, then just select the correct module with your resistance code. (you don't need any keys) Once you get it in, it will come with detailed instructions of how to install it, and it only takes about 15 minutes with a screwdriver and small socket set. You just have to remove the panel just below the steering wheel and the instructions will tell you where to hook that up at. It works by simulating the correct resistor code for your computer everytime. You won't even need the chip in your key at all anymore, AND anybody who would like to steal your corvette would have no idea that it has been disabled. I hope that helps!!
imabballer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette