Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #16
usedranger
AF Newbie

Re: 1990 Buick Lesabre still not running Help

Congratulations, you may just have acquired a new addiction; fixing your own car. Sometimes fun...sometimes not so much. I would still suggest getting someone locally to help you along, especially with the problem you have now, what with you being in a cold weather area and all its tough to get under the car to work on it, much less get out and do the testing. I would not recommend jumping in and replacing the CkPS. Its not an real easy job, especially if it does not solve the problem.

Starting with some of the basic repair manuals would help. Going to the local library and looking up your vehicle on AllData can be helpful and you may be able to checkout the Chiltons or Haynes books.
A trip to the autoparts store or 2 to ask about the problems you are having may also give you some leads and instruction on how to do some of the testing. Having someone tell you in an e-mail vs someone actually pointing to a part on YOUR car...well its worlds apart. Also, as I metioned before, ask them to recommend a good mechanic. Try to go at a time when they are not super busy, and don't shy away from bribing them with a bagel or 2. If you really want to fix it yourself, and as you say you don't have a ton of experience it may take a little while to get the hang of it. Folks on this forum will be happy to help you. Just be patient and try to clearly describe whats happening with the car.

Good luck.
usedranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
usedranger
AF Newbie

A recent post in LeSabre had this link. It may help you get an idea of what is involved in replacing the CkPS. http://mykidz.net/GTP/CrankPosSensor.shtml
Also, check out a local VoTech school for some help.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
stlysmack
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stlysmack Send a message via Yahoo to stlysmack
Cool Re: 1990 Buick Lesabre still not running Help

ok, I took my car to a new mechanic, he said that I needed a new ECC (computer) and that he would replace if for $300.00 plus $85 for labor. By the way my car stalled 5 times on the way there (less than 5 miles from my house) I told him that I had to think about it and proceeded to go to autozone where I purchased one for $78.99 plus a $95 core charge. I also bought a buick lesabre book (very cool thing Who knew) so it took me a while because didnt realize that you need to save your prom pack to put in the new computer (they should tell you these things at the part store) so got it back and put it in, anyway car started right up and of course as soon as I get out on the road the car stalls again. So I am right back where I started. I have to wait to payday to find a new mechanic
stlysmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

WHO in this thread suggested replacing the PCM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylsmack
I actually have a crank postion sensor sitting on my kitchen table, how hard is it to put on?
It should not take an average mechanic more than 1-hr to install the CKPS. (75-90 bucks)

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #20
big white bufflo
AF Regular

now that you have a book it will come easy do you have a engine light that stays on if so then you have a code the book tells you how to get those code or take it to auto zone but the book will have a list of all the codes if you dont have a engien light on then the computer will store previous code and you can see those tell us what they are and we may help you
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #21
stlysmack
AF Newbie

Cant take the car to autozone for a check engine light car to old, it has to be a 96 or newer. I found a place in the yellow pages that does nothing but diagonistcs no matter what year the car is. I wasted my money on the computer, so wont be going back to that place , which by the way was a big chain place ( i wont say the name). Hopefully i can drive the car there w/o it braking down. I do have AAA so I can get a free tow if needed. If this guy finds out whats wrong Im going to drive it back home and try to replace the part my self ( as long as its not to dfficult)
Old 02-27-2009, 09:26 AM   #22
usedranger
AF Newbie

OK, but before you replace the part check back here and see if the more experienced folks can add some additional advice. And take some time at the new shop to have them explain what they did and give you some documentation. If the folks on this thread ask you for the results you can supply an answer.

Ask questions, take in your new automanual and have them show you the sections that address your car's problem. Thats how to learn this stuff. People generally want to help.

One other thing I would suggest is asking around to see if anyone that you know has also used this diagostics shop. How reliable are they? Sorry you had the bad experience at the parts store. They are not all like that, but its a gamble. The diagnostics shop could be good... or not. Make sure you tell them what the car has been doing, what you have checked and what you have replaced. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
90sBeater
AF Newbie

Edit: OK, sorry didn't see CPU replacement effort... I still suggest you check the harmonic balancer

------------------------------------------------
Howdy,

I have the same year and make, and had the same sporadic dying. Does it die after warmed up? They get bad codes because it is the CPU, Computer. These are known for shorting.
Before you get any deeper check: the harmonic balancer and the CPU.
The harmonic balancer (sensor) runs on the belt and if not straight or there's too much vibration it can damage the CPU giving an unstable connection. (sudden death)
1990 Buicks are great cars (I think they like the cold..) They were built with a strong 3800 motor and will last forever! Hope this helps, I remember the hell I went through. Please post your efforts and progress.

90sbeater Jim
90sBeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #24
stlysmack
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 1990 Buick Lesabre still not running Help

ok havent gotten back in a while, but like I said I replaced the computer, because I was told that I needed one. check engine light still on and car still stalling. i have sinced learned how to pull the codes myself (pretty good for a girl) so the codes I get are 12 and 41. 12 according to the book is diagnostic mode so thats irrelevant and 41 can be 3 different things the first one has something to do with a carburerator which my car doesnt have so I elminated that one, the second is a cam shaft sensor which I cant seem to find , and the 3rd is the prom pack. Now I replaced the computer, but had to keep my old prom. If there is something wrong with it would that cause the computer to not pull up any codes except that the prom is bad? If I replace the prom will that help pull the right code or even stop the stalling? I hope I have explained this ok
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #25
usedranger
AF Newbie

Good work! Alot of folks have problems checking codes on the older vehicles. If you have gotten that down you are ahead of the game. I am not real familar with your year (I have a 1995) but according to Autozone:

Camshaft Position Sensor
On your 1990 Buick Lesabre 3.8L FI OHV , the Camshaft Position Sensor is located:Under hood, passenger side, upper engine area, between cylinder heads, mounted behind the power steering pump reservoir.

This should be a part that you can replace yourself, but there may be some tricks to it that someone else on the forum can help with on this particular model. Anyway, its great you are tracking down the problem.
BTW did you ever go to the diagnostic shop you mentioned?
Good luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:43 PM   #26
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

There are three things that can cause a code 41. The camshaft sensor, the camshaft magnet and the crankshaft position sensor. Do a search in the Buick forums for code 41 and you will find some more info.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 AM   #27
stlysmack
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 1990 Buick Lesabre still not running Help

I looked up changing the camshaft sensor which by the way I was told was not in my car ( by a man at the diagnostic shop where they said I needed a new prom for my computer) anyway the camshaft sensor seems like its fairly simple to change. I think I look up more info on code 41 first . Where would I do that my book has very small details about codes?
Thanks to all who have hepled so far.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
big white bufflo
AF Regular

Look in the diognastic part of the manuel it should tell you what all the parts control and tell you symtoms of failure i think that is just pasted the codes part thats in a hayne book im glad you figure out how to work on your own car i bet you wonder why then mechanice charge somuch for something so easy your car is old and it not that technical you can still work on it kudos to you
big white bufflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #29
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

The last "code 41" I looked at, the magnet was gone- had come out of its holder in the cam sprocket- this is a major job to go in and replace the magnet- so be sure and look when you have the cam sensor out if the magnet is in place- - Note- you have to turn the engine by hand until you can see where it is (or should be) in the hole where the sensor mounts...- you may have to use a mirror..
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #30
stlysmack
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 1990 Buick Lesabre still not running Help

Sorry I havent gotten back to anyone sooner, havent really done anymore work on the Buick because I was broke, anyway I am wondering why am I being told by someone that my car doesn't have a camshaft sensor. If my car has a camshaft wouldnt it also have a sensor. Anyway Im going to try to replace it myself, it is a very cheap part $17, wouldnt it be great if this is the fix I need. It would also be ironic that I have spent almost $700 to have my car fixed by my back yard mechanic and that just a regular girl fixed it herself ----with the help of you guys of course, Ill let you know what happens

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre