Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #1
navid
AF Newbie

Lightbulb service engine soon

I have a Nissan Altima 2000. After a long trip the "service engine soon" light turned on. I took the car to a mechanic. He reset the light and said that the code is for "fuel evaporation system". Since then, the light comes on and stays for few weeks (I guess 50 rounds) and goes off. Then it comes again after few days for no reason, and so on...

I called the Nissan dealer. Apparently, they will charge me too much to just diagnose the problem.

Any idea what is the problem?

Thanks.
navid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo
Re: service engine soon

Buy a new gas cap and see if the light will stay off. If the gas cap corrects the problem (there's no way to know or test the old cap) the light will eventually go out by it self. 50 rounds would be right. It takes 100 starts.
JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
forester99
AF Newbie

We have a 98 Altima, and we've had the same problem for the past four years. Initially, we took the car in for diagnostics and it was simply reset. We pursued the matter to find the problem, but not even replacing the gas cap solved the mysterious re-occurring "check engine soon" light problem. We grew tired of paying out money to have people tell us they can't figure out the problem, so we now just live with it.

It has been 4-5 years now, and the check engine light comes and goes every few weeks.

Sorry that this post doesn't provide a solution, but at least we can say that we've put over 120,000 miles on the car since the light first starting coming on and we haven't had a problem at all during this time.
forester99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:10 AM   #4
JustSayGo
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to JustSayGo Send a message via Skype™ to JustSayGo

There are six different codes that help diagnose the evaporative emission control system. The fuel cap is the most common and least expensive part that causes a problem. The hose at the charcoal canister could be split, loose, or leaking. The control valve on the canister may have a slight leak. The cause may be the same on both cars... or maybe not. Do either of you know your exact code? P1440-P1448? Do you know federal law sets warranty on every part of every emission system at 5 year and 50,000 miles? Both have probably past warranty now?
JustSayGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:56 AM   #5
provoboy10
AF Newbie

hey ive got a 2001 and its got the P1448 code on it. can you tell me what that means?
provoboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
TripsDad
AF Newbie

Since no one gave an answer to the last reply I hope I'll have better luck. My 2003 3.5 has 2 codes P0455 and P1448. Gas cap was replaced last time. Where is the charcoal canister located? Either I do not know what I'm looking at or what I'm looking for. Thanks for any guidance.
TripsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
TripsDad
AF Newbie

HELLO. Any help?
Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Mrbizness1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripsDad
Since no one gave an answer to the last reply I hope I'll have better luck. My 2003 3.5 has 2 codes P0455 and P1448. Gas cap was replaced last time. Where is the charcoal canister located? Either I do not know what I'm looking at or what I'm looking for. Thanks for any guidance.

The vent control valve is located behind the l/r rear tire on most Nissans.
It is a black box with several hoses going to it. The valve screws into it. I replaced mine a few years back and this year I removed it and found a moth nest blocking one hose. You can buy a Haynes manual for $20 which has alot of info.
Your car should have an emissions sticker under the hood with component locations.
If you read this link you can find many diagrams on the last pages.
I have 2 nissans and had evap problems on both. If you have more than one code fix the evap one first, clear the ecm and drive the car for a few days, odds are the other codes will be fixed also.

http://www.nissanforums.com/sr-serie...ve-closed.html
Mrbizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
TripsDad
AF Newbie

It is a black box with several hoses going to it. The valve screws into it. I replaced mine a few years back and this year I removed it and found a moth nest blocking one hose. You can buy a Haynes manual for $20 which has alot of info.
Your car should have an emissions sticker under the hood with component locations.

There is no emissions sticker under the hood on my Altima which I bought new and the haynes manual says this model and newer is too complicated to get into discussing here. However I did locate my black box in the center of the car above a cross member and some connecting rods. If anyone has this and has performed this work, am I going to have remove these to do what needs to be done. With these in the way all I can see is three hoses and nothing else, I do not even have sight of the vcv.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
Mrbizness1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripsDad

There is no emissions sticker under the hood on my Altima which I bought new and the haynes manual says this model and newer is too complicated to get into discussing here. However I did locate my black box in the center of the car above a cross member and some connecting rods. If anyone has this and has performed this work, am I going to have remove these to do what needs to be done. With these in the way all I can see is three hoses and nothing else, I do not even have sight of the vcv.
According to my library website car info you have a evap canister near the rear crossmember. At Autozone.com you can enter your vehicle info and locate your evap cannister and other items. I posted some photos here. My 98 had a detailed emissions sticker under the hood and my 2009 Murano has none. I guess they want you to go to the dealer. The photo is from my 98 Altima, most evap hoses go to this plastic part. It can get a hairline crack where the hoses connect to it and it will be very hard to notice and bingo the light goes on.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
Mrbizness1
AF Regular

Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
ipuck
AF Newbie

This site also has good information about engine codes: http://www.helpforcars.net/
ipuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
TripsDad
AF Newbie

Thanks for the info Mr.Bizness. The plastic part (vacuum cut valve), where can i find it? Not having any luck in searches. I removed old one, hoping this is it. No room for my hands to remove the other piece to check it with battery( blood pouring down both arms from squeezing hands in that little area above connecting rod). Thanks for any reply.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Mrbizness1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripsDad View Post
Thanks for the info Mr.Bizness. The plastic part (vacuum cut valve), where can i find it? Not having any luck in searches. I removed old one, hoping this is it. No room for my hands to remove the other piece to check it with battery( blood pouring down both arms from squeezing hands in that little area above connecting rod). Thanks for any reply.
Most of the emissions parts will only be found at a dealer. There are some aftermarket sensors at auto stores and ebay but the plastic stuff like valves and small electric motors are mfg. items. The plastic part in the photo was for a 96 Maxima, it was $95.00 and the Purge Solinoid was $125.00 from Nissan.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
TripsDad
AF Newbie

Today I installed a new Nissan gas cap and a new vent control valve (the white plastic piece with all the hoses going to it). I drove it for a little while, of course the engine light is still on but now there is another code. All together 4 came up : P1448,P0455,P1448, and P1490.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima