Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 PM   #1
joybe
AF Newbie

97 altima motor swap????

i want to do a motor swap to my 97 altima. i was wondering what engine would be better, easier, and cheaper the bluebirdor the sr20det? PLEASE HELP
joybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
sleeperalty
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to sleeperalty Send a message via MSN to sleeperalty
the 2 swaps u just mentioned are the same swap. the BB is the SR20DET. its just that the US spec is only available for a FWD. if you want the AWD, you need to modify the body to accept the AWD system
Old 02-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
joybe
AF Newbie

i just got a price quote on the motor swap it is 3,000. and they said that i would have to find out if it is a direct bolt in or what modifcations need to be done, because they said they never did any like this before to an altima. any info will help
Old 02-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #4
TheQuietThings
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to TheQuietThings
Re: 97 altima motor swap????

whats wrong with the ka24de?
TheQuietThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
joybe
AF Newbie

well its starting to lope at idle they say it is a knock sensor but i am not paying $700 for the part and another $300 for them to put it in
Old 03-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
TheQuietThings
AF Regular

Re: Re: 97 altima motor swap????

so pay another 2k to throw in a smaller engine?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #7
joybe
AF Newbie

well it will also boost the horsepower alot
Old 03-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
TheQuietThings
AF Regular

how is a 2.0 litre gonna push out more power than a 2.4l?
if you think youre just gonna buy the block with the turbo on it, you are crazy.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Deddjay
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Deddjay Send a message via Yahoo to Deddjay
wait a sec the SR20DE is supposed to be alot more powerful than the KA24 isnt it? What I'm thinking is that if it makes the 240SX alot faster it should do the same for the altima (plus it'll make the car lighter anyway. Smaller engine means less weight.)
Deddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
TheQuietThings
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deddjay
wait a sec the SR20DE is supposed to be alot more powerful than the KA24 isnt it? What I'm thinking is that if it makes the 240SX alot faster it should do the same for the altima (plus it'll make the car lighter anyway. Smaller engine means less weight.)
the 240SX comes with the KA24, its the same block, except its set up so it delivers power to the rear wheels, and not the front wheels. the SR20DE engine is only more powerful because it is turbo'd. a turbo'd ka24 is going to be more powerful than a sr20de turbo. yes, smaller engine means less weight, BUT smaller engine makes less power, and then wgt/power ratio doesnt equal out. the reason people put the sr20de engine in the 240, is to make it a high-revver, and use it to drift. the ka24de makes a much better street and drag car, since more displacement, gives it a lot more torque at lower RPMs.

if you were going to drop a sr20det engine in the altima, you wouldnt get any increase in power at all, since it wouldnt be turbo'd. and if you were going to turbo the altima, unless youre gonna drift in a FWD car [very hard], then you are better off turboing your ka
Old 03-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #11
Deddjay
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Deddjay Send a message via Yahoo to Deddjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
the 240SX comes with the KA24, its the same block, except its set up so it delivers power to the rear wheels, and not the front wheels. the SR20DE engine is only more powerful because it is turbo'd. a turbo'd ka24 is going to be more powerful than a sr20de turbo. yes, smaller engine means less weight, BUT smaller engine makes less power, and then wgt/power ratio doesnt equal out. the reason people put the sr20de engine in the 240, is to make it a high-revver, and use it to drift. the ka24de makes a much better street and drag car, since more displacement, gives it a lot more torque at lower RPMs.

if you were going to drop a sr20det engine in the altima, you wouldnt get any increase in power at all, since it wouldnt be turbo'd. and if you were going to turbo the altima, unless youre gonna drift in a FWD car [very hard], then you are better off turboing your ka
Cool! Thanks for the knowledge drop. The things you say definately make sense. Especially the part about the SR20DE being a high rev engine. I guess I should take the hint since turbonetics released a turbo for the altima (ka24de). Supposably it bolts in with no fab needed. Bout 3k though.
Deddjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #12
op012503
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to op012503

this is all very interesting but to clear things up~ The ka engine, even mine pushing about 190 hp is not much fun...it reves to about 6200 rpm. To turbo it would mean a 3K kit plus another grand for install and a few hundred for tuning. joybe, you have a 97 which has a good compression ratio for a turbo and u could probably find the parts you need to make a turbo kit for about 2k but if your engine has 80k or more your gonna be replacing parts all the time. I also heard (maybe this is true of 2000-2001 altimas, and not yours) but their ecu cant be tuned and some version of a stand alone fuel engine management unit must be bought. Now here's my arguement. You get a factory reliable turbo engine pushing 210 flywheel Hp thats factory tuned and ready to go for 1700 approx...this motor is from the jdm bluebird and there are 2 versions with slight differences (the u12 and u 13). There is also a sr20det from the jdm nissan pulsar pushing 240 hp from the factory which can be had for about 2200. These engines have no more than 40k on them and are guarenteed. Ive seen these motors swaped into FWD infinity g20's and sentras and they can be installed in an altima for about 1000. Finally, although the ka has one of the strongest bottom ends of any nissan motor, the sr isnt lacking in that department and the sr20det can be tuned to make near 280 hp at the wheels with bolt ons and just turning up your boost. the negative to all this is that u get wheel spin in 1,2nd and third and lots of torque steer. I know that when i make some more money a u13 sr20det is going under my hood.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:38 PM   #13
TheQuietThings
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by op012503
this is all very interesting but to clear things up~ The ka engine, even mine pushing about 190 hp is not much fun...it reves to about 6200 rpm. To turbo it would mean a 3K kit plus another grand for install and a few hundred for tuning. joybe, you have a 97 which has a good compression ratio for a turbo and u could probably find the parts you need to make a turbo kit for about 2k but if your engine has 80k or more your gonna be replacing parts all the time. I also heard (maybe this is true of 2000-2001 altimas, and not yours) but their ecu cant be tuned and some version of a stand alone fuel engine management unit must be bought. Now here's my arguement. You get a factory reliable turbo engine pushing 210 flywheel Hp thats factory tuned and ready to go for 1700 approx...this motor is from the jdm bluebird and there are 2 versions with slight differences (the u12 and u 13). There is also a sr20det from the jdm nissan pulsar pushing 240 hp from the factory which can be had for about 2200. These engines have no more than 40k on them and are guarenteed. Ive seen these motors swaped into FWD infinity g20's and sentras and they can be installed in an altima for about 1000. Finally, although the ka has one of the strongest bottom ends of any nissan motor, the sr isnt lacking in that department and the sr20det can be tuned to make near 280 hp at the wheels with bolt ons and just turning up your boost. the negative to all this is that u get wheel spin in 1,2nd and third and lots of torque steer. I know that when i make some more money a u13 sr20det is going under my hood.
you arent getting it.
if you buy the sr20 motor for the altima, its not going to have a turbo on it. and its going to push out only 140HP at the crank. and its only going to make that much horsepower at its peek. the ka24de engine can handle up to 400hp on stock internals. for a FWD application, it is not worth swapping the motor, there are no advantages to putting in the sr20de engine at all. if you were to pour 3k into both engines, without having turbos on either of them, on an altima, the ka24de engine is going to blow its doors off.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:39 AM   #14
op012503
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 97 altima motor swap????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
you arent getting it.
if you buy the sr20 motor for the altima, its not going to have a turbo on it. and its going to push out only 140HP at the crank. and its only going to make that much horsepower at its peek. the ka24de engine can handle up to 400hp on stock internals. for a FWD application, it is not worth swapping the motor, there are no advantages to putting in the sr20de engine at all. if you were to pour 3k into both engines, without having turbos on either of them, on an altima, the ka24de engine is going to blow its doors off.
LOL!!! of course it has a turbo in it....Think about what your saying Im talking about swapping in an sr20det; anything with a "t" in the engine code, has a turbo! a t25 in this case. The sr20det has a comp ratio of 8.5 and a displacement of 2.0 L. Without forced induction there is no way this thing is gonna make 210hp. If you would like i will link you to a site with a description of the motor im talking about. True there is an sr20de motor without a turbo but thats NOT what im talking about
Old 03-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #15
op012503
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybe
i want to do a motor swap to my 97 altima. i was wondering what engine would be better, easier, and cheaper the bluebirdor the sr20det? PLEASE HELP
he is talking about the SR20DET not the sr20de.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima