Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #1
kenman1717
AF Regular

blown fuses for cooling fans after buried in mud.

Truck is a 2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 with a 4.8. Tuck is overheating, found the fans packed full of mud so they couldn't turn, cleaned them out and cleaned the radiator and coolers of all the mud. Only code was p1258 for engine protection due to over heat. Tried to command fans on with scantool, no luck, found both 40amp fuse blown. Put new fuses in, fan 1 kicked on then the fuse blew, then fan 2 came on and then the fuse blew. I removed the fan assembly from the truck and popped the blade off of fan 1, the windings look really black and kind of have a burnt smell. Does it stand to reason that the fans are done due to prolonged mud in them, its a bush truck, and then being stopped solid, why the fuses blew after they were cleaned? I ordered a set from the dealer, but wanted some input if anyone has any experience with these fans. thanks
oh did hook a battery to both fans on the bench and they both spun, a bit sluggishly, and my heavy duty jumper leads heated up very quickly, but I'm guessing with 40amp protection in the truck that's understandable.
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: blown fuses for cooling fans after buried in mud.

Your fans are toast. Replaced them.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

this is why IMO a truck should not have electric fans . my 2000 SIL TK has belt driven fan no problems also no engine heat issues. my 2016 toyota 4 runner also has NO electric fans .. This is why I did NOT buy GM truck. the fans are DC voltage motors with armatures. what happens is when the motor can not rotate the armature winding will get so hot it will melt down and the create a short circuit. fan may work for a small time but the current will soar , then the fuses blown. I would replace the fan motors NOW !!! I have a GM sedan with electric fans don't like the temp fluctuations ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
kenman1717
AF Regular

I kind of figured when I popped the blades off and saw how black some of the windings were. I put in 2 new fans and new fuses, everything is fine now, until the next time it gets buried in the mud I imagine. We debated the idea of converting it over to a mechanical fan, because its the same water pump so it has the threaded hub on the end, but were worried about how the truck computer would react because its programmed to have the electric fans. probably a check engine light, along with overheat codes as well as the fan codes. I'm sure it could be programmed out in some way, because you can buy the same truck with a mechanical fan, not sure how much it would cost, but at $200 a fan, 5 bucks a fuse, and an hour to r&r the fan assembly, worth it?
kenman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:03 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

pull fan fuses see if it throws codes.. go to scrap yard get mechanical fan and shroud . engine temps will be more stable also less alternator drain.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado