Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
hotcakes
AF Newbie

92 lesabre, no air flow

Ok no matter what air controls i use, i have no air flow whatsoever. i have to start my car up in the morning for 15-20 minutes to get the interior warm, cuz my lack of airflow. when i turn my heat on, its really loud, but no air comes out. ive read about cleaning off some kind of filter, but i was just outside, and i cannot find it. + im freezing my balls off out there staring at stuff under the hood.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #2
mwrobe1
AF Newbie

Re: 92 lesabre, no air flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcakes
Ok no matter what air controls i use, i have no air flow whatsoever. i have to start my car up in the morning for 15-20 minutes to get the interior warm, cuz my lack of airflow. when i turn my heat on, its really loud, but no air comes out. ive read about cleaning off some kind of filter, but i was just outside, and i cannot find it. + im freezing my balls off out there staring at stuff under the hood.
Believe it or not...I have the exact same problem, I was going to troubleshoot mine today based on the responses to this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...t=blower+motor

I actually compiled the helpful responses I found into a nice little narrative:

Check for heat coming out the defroster vents. I suspect you are getting heat there, but not out the front vents. If so, the problem is with a vacuum hose. Your heater's vent system runs on engine vacuum to switch between vent, heater, and defrost settings. It is located at a spot under the master cylinder and to the left. Usually the hose dry rots off.

These cars also have had big time Evaporator problems, you may have to remove the switch on the firewall (Inside Engine Compartment), to see if the Evaporator core is possible clogged. When the Evap leaks, all the debris going through the heater box collects on the core, thus no Air Flow. The switch is on the firewall mounted in the blower chamber. It's a unit about 4"x2" with three small mounting screws that controls the variable speeds of the blower motor. It's located immediately left of the blower motor as seen from the engine compartment. There may be a rain guard plastic shield above it that may have to be removed. Removal of this switch gives you access to the heater core/evaporator core for purposes of cleaning out any junk collected in there. Buy A Enviromentally Friendly Degreaser (EG: Simply Green), remove Heater switch, spray Degreaser as best you can towards evap coil, it might be tight but you should be able to see a bit of it.

Let Degreaser sit for say 20 mins, then get out the garden hose and wash it out, hopefully your evap drain isn't clogged, you then should see dirty water coming out the drain, re-check coil should be fairly clean, you may notice a smell so you should run the car with heater on high, it will go away (The Smell Of Course).

Good luck to you...post back if you have any success.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #3
LeSabre97mint
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Hello

First off, I don't believe your 92 has an cabin air filter. So I don't believe this is your problem. How long have you had this car? Did this problem just start? Is there a build up of ice by your windshild wipers? If this is the case, your air input may be blocked by ice.

Post back with what you know.

Regards

Dan
Old 12-10-2005, 09:34 AM   #4
mwrobe1
AF Newbie

I might also mention that that post I refenced was for an '89...not a '92, wiser folks than I would have to comment on whether or not there are big differences.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
hotcakes
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 92 lesabre, no air flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeSabre97mint
Hello

First off, I don't believe your 92 has an cabin air filter. So I don't believe this is your problem. How long have you had this car? Did this problem just start? Is there a build up of ice by your windshild wipers? If this is the case, your air input may be blocked by ice.

Post back with what you know.

Regards

Dan
ive had this car since last winter, when it didnt work then either. the air flow has been miserable since i bought it. I dont believe its a build up of ice, because i have no airflow all year round.

Also my problem isnt with airflow coming from select vents, bu aqctually i wouldnt really know now would i hehe. but my defrost is really bad too, so im certain my problem isnt a loose hose.

now im not sure about the rest of the information. the 92 lesabre was a completely remodeled from the 91 and previous years. it was the first to incorporate the new rounder body, and new under the hood design.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:38 AM   #6
spinne1
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 92 lesabre, no air flow

Quote:
ive had this car since last winter, when it didnt work then either. the air flow has been miserable since i bought it. I dont believe its a build up of ice, because i have no airflow all year round.

Also my problem isnt with airflow coming from select vents, bu aqctually i wouldnt really know now would i hehe. but my defrost is really bad too, so im certain my problem isnt a loose hose.

now im not sure about the rest of the information. the 92 lesabre was a completely remodeled from the 91 and previous years. it was the first to incorporate the new rounder body, and new under the hood design.
Is your blower motor working? Can you hear it blowing? If not, replace it and it should work.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
hotcakes
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 92 lesabre, no air flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinne1
Is your blower motor working? Can you hear it blowing? If not, replace it and it should work.
yes it works, it blows very hard, just no air flow. all speed functions are correct as well.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
conan7
AF Newbie

I'm the 89 LeSabre guy with the same problem

I had the same problem as you. I couldn't get air flow. I heard the fan blowing but no air was comming.

It turned out it was my evaporator was plugged up and needed to be cleaned out with a degreaser.

I would almost bet your 92 system is very similar to my 89. I actually went to a garage to get this done. They only charged me 30 dollars Canadian.

I'm from Winnipeg Manitoba so I know about the need for heat. Santa Clause lives only a few blocks north of here.

Conan
Old 12-11-2005, 08:04 AM   #9
hotcakes
AF Newbie

Re: I'm the 89 LeSabre guy with the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan7
I had the same problem as you. I couldn't get air flow. I heard the fan blowing but no air was comming.

It turned out it was my evaporator was plugged up and needed to be cleaned out with a degreaser.

I would almost bet your 92 system is very similar to my 89. I actually went to a garage to get this done. They only charged me 30 dollars Canadian.

I'm from Winnipeg Manitoba so I know about the need for heat. Santa Clause lives only a few blocks north of here.

Conan
would anyone know where to locate it on a 92?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
mwrobe1
AF Newbie

Re: Re: I'm the 89 LeSabre guy with the same problem

Quote:
would anyone know where to locate it on a 92?
OK...I HAVE HEAT! Thanks hotcakes for this thread, as it helped to get my butt in gear. I'm in the Chicago area...so I know cold winters.
Here's what I did. To get to the blower motor resisitor, which will give you access to the evap core; remove the maxifuse/relay rain cover. A couple of plastic turn screws need to be taken out before the cover can be removed. Take out (only to move out of the way) the maxifuse "center". (A knowledgeable tech at my local Buick dealer was kind enough to show me this) On mine all it took was removing 2 10mm nut shown here
Link1 and here Link2
The blower motor resistor is now exposed. The fuse center is moved out of the way here: Link2a
Carefully...and I do mean CAREFULLY remove the wire connector going into the resistor, and remove the resistor (3 7mm bolts on mine) an observe 13 years of dirt and scum keeping you and I from having heat here Link3
and here: Link4

I took a small wire brush to mine and cleared away as much dirt as I could and drilled a few holes in it (since the AC never worked since I brought the car) and took a shop vac to it. I put everything together and voila...I had heat so darn good I had to turn it down after about 15 minutes.

Let us know how you fair.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:35 AM   #11
hotcakes
AF Newbie

ahhh thanx a million! i always got as far as picture 3, but i never removed the 3nd screw cuz i thought i was removing the wrong parts haha! great job! i will do this as soon as i get off work today!

some of the other threads mention using a grease removing spray, letting it set 15 mins, then hosing it down. and yes i bet those chicago winters are rough, i live in detroit, so we have similiar climate.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:55 AM   #12
mwrobe1
AF Newbie

Quote:
ahhh thanx a million! i always got as far as picture 3, but i never removed the 3nd screw cuz i thought i was removing the wrong parts haha! great job! i will do this as soon as i get off work today!

some of the other threads mention using a grease removing spray, letting it set 15 mins, then hosing it down. and yes i bet those chicago winters are rough, i live in detroit, so we have similiar climate.
Have a Merry Christmas...and enjoy the heat!
Old 12-14-2005, 06:16 PM   #13
hotcakes
AF Newbie

success!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #14
Amopower
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Amopower

This thread would have helped me out, but the pictures are no longer working. Were these pictures from a 92-96, or an 89? Not sure if the advice here was for an 89 or the 92-96 series. I have a 93 and the airflow could be much better, so I'm guessing I need to do the same cleanup job.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > LeSabre