Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:21 AM   #16
dphess
AF Newbie

Re: 02 Altima "Cylinder #3 misfire" error

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_matrix
I am going to try with pressure tool to check and the method you mentioned this Sat. But do i really need to wait 4- 5 hours ? Toolman from above post with a similar suggestion but he said that just need a fennel put on the neck of the radiator and wait till the engine get up to the tempature and check the #3 cylinder to see if any coolant left.

Also, This is 02 with 85k miles on it. Is it too early for Headgasket broken? My friend told me it is going to be a whole day job or more for changing headgasket and also may need to take the engine block to machine shop to check for flatless if the headgasket is really the cause of all these problem (A/C, Missfire #3 and overheated)

Thanks
My 02 Altimata has 84,300 miles on it right now. Yes the job is an 8-9 hr job if you have all the equipment and tools to do it.
dphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:52 AM   #17
us_matrix
AF Newbie

Hi Toolman and dphess,

You guys are right! It is the headgasket . I let the car cool down for couple hours and removed #Coil and spark plugs, saw coolant sitting on top of the piston. I am shocked and disappointed of getting this problem becasue of only 85k miles and it is 2002 model. (Headgasket usually don't goes bad that early....) I called Nissan dealer last week asked the pricing of headgasket and also mentioned if there is any similar known problem or recall with 02 Altima, the parts guy told me that they only sold 1 set of headgasket for this model year so far and need to be special order which mean that I am the second of the lucky guy who got this rare problem happens in 2002 model year they ever sold from the dealer. I also checked with service dept about cost of repair and they told me that labor alone would be around $1500 .

My friend told me that if you have dealer or third party shop to do the job, they will always take the head to machine shop to check any crack of the head or surface may need to be machined.
Here is my other concern, What if i have anyone to do the headgasket job but they found out the head is cracked after they take everything out. What would be my option ? The replacement head going to be another $2k??? or may need to be machined of the surface for few hunderd bucks extra?
Here is my questions?
1) Is it necessary to have machine shop to check the head?
2) Is it very likely to crack the head for the problem that i had or need to be machined of the surface?

If the head is cracked that would costs me over $4k easily for everything.
Do i have any other options???

Thanks.
Mugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman5523
US_Matrix, you miss understood me. You wanted to know how to check for a blown head gasket, and I gave you three different simple checks to do so.
us_matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:08 PM   #18
Toolman5523
AF Regular

Hell yeah it is important to have the head checked out by a machine shop. It should be checked at least to see if it is warped. Unlikely yours is cracked, those motors do have a problem with head gaskets going bad. It just sounds like your dealer just hasn't seen many. If the head is cracked, many times a good machine shop can repair it ( if it's not too bad ). Don't worry about the cost, a new engine from Nissan doesn't cost that much ( sorry, not very comforting I know ).
Toolman5523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
us_matrix
AF Newbie

I was told there is another huge problem in 2002 Model by a member in this forum and also found a lot of people reproted that in carsurvey.org. The catalyst converter fell apart in around 80k and ran into the engine to make it faile. Replacement of the engine. A couple of people mentioned that after they spent $$$$ headgasket job. Few months later, engine burned oil like crazy and lossing power ....turned out to be cat converter fell apart and get into the engine costs another $4k to replace the engine.
Since i have not done anything yet. Is there a way i can diagnose if i may lucky enough to have the cat converter problem altogether?

Thanks

Quote:
Hell yeah it is important to have the head checked out by a machine shop. It should be checked at least to see if it is warped. Unlikely yours is cracked, those motors do have a problem with head gaskets going bad. It just sounds like your dealer just hasn't seen many. If the head is cracked, many times a good machine shop can repair it ( if it's not too bad ). Don't worry about the cost, a new engine from Nissan doesn't cost that much ( sorry, not very comforting I know ).
Old 06-03-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
Toolman5523
AF Regular

you can drop your exhaust pipe down from the cat convertor, and look inside the cat. pop the upper o2 sensor out and look inside there as well ( it will be tight though ). Basically what you don't want to see, is anything that looks like it's coming apart ( should be solid looking ). check your oil and note what color it is. remove your valve cover, and check to see if there are any granules in the oil, especially on the cams. it will make greyish film on the cams and caps if the cat is damaged.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #21
us_matrix
AF Newbie

Thanks i better check all these together before i replace the headgasket.

Quote:
you can drop your exhaust pipe down from the cat convertor, and look inside the cat. pop the upper o2 sensor out and look inside there as well ( it will be tight though ). Basically what you don't want to see, is anything that looks like it's coming apart ( should be solid looking ). check your oil and note what color it is. remove your valve cover, and check to see if there are any granules in the oil, especially on the cams. it will make greyish film on the cams and caps if the cat is damaged.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM   #22
us_matrix
AF Newbie

Hi guys,

I have not checked the cat converter yet but i went ahead called Nissan Dealer to find out how much is it in case if i need one. You know what.... parts guy told me that it is on back order for quantity of 700 which sounds like there are 700 Altimas outthere in states waiting to be replaced. He does not know how soon he can get me one if i need to order. How come Nissan not issuing recall of this known problem???

Quote:
Old 06-04-2007, 05:49 PM   #23
Toolman5523
AF Regular

Well they did have a recall for 02 and 03 Altimas and the cat convertors. Wrong heat shield caused too much heat, causing cats to fail early (yeah, whatever). The reason you don't see any new recalls for your car is that, well your out of warranty. You no longer matter (to Nissan).
Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #24
timguyli
AF Regular

I have a 2000 altima with the cyl 3 misfire. Engine runs very rough and feels like it wants to stall. The plugs all look good and there no coolant loss. I changed the valve cover gasket, and still the same thing. Im thinking maybe bad injector or cat.. any suggestions?
timguyli is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Altima