Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
lbreaud
AF Newbie

massive turbos in rb26

i dont know if you all have heard of the bugatti veyron, but that thing is runnin on four turbos. i was wondering if anyone has attempted any sort of setup like this in a skyline. i realize that bugatti had these on a W16 (just a few more cylinders than the inline 6 haha). besides for the insane amount of money you would have to put into the engine components (supposing you replaced all stock parts besides the block i guess) and the relative size of the engine, do any of you think this quad turbo setup might become a reality?
lbreaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
tazdev
I'm still here

Re: massive turbos in rb26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbreaud
do any of you think this quad turbo setup might become a reality?

not on the inline 6 engine there just isn't the room for 4 turbos, may work on a v6 but again space would be an issue
Old 10-17-2005, 12:39 AM   #3
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA

2 turbos can create more than enough power to split the block!

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:21 PM   #4
lbreaud
AF Newbie

the only problem that i see with this setup would be space in the engine bay and the actual size or capacity of the engine. you would have to lower the engine to compensate for the extra space you would need. the block would also have to be extremley strong. the best ive heard of is an aluminum block, but you could possibly get one forged from titanium (hopefully, cause you would need something insanely strong for the amount of power this engine would make). im also assuming practically all of the stock components would be replaced with performance ones. this being said, i dont think it really has to even be an rb engine. a small block v6 might work if you made the space....
lbreaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Why bother?

Waste of time and money.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 AM   #6
nismo_power
AF Enthusiast

i thnk you should think about practicality. 4 turbos? what are you going to turbo 1 and a half cylinders? not gunna happen. 3 turbos....your going to turbo 2 cyls each? waste of money and doesnt have any value except for a "bling" factor.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:53 AM   #7
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

i've seen a pic of a skyline with 3, the reason for it was the lag, using 3 small turbos the engine produced upwards of 800bhp an had pretty much zero lag, all three fed off the same manifold i think.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #8
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

I'll be Missouri, show me the unicorn.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #9
my3rdskyline
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to my3rdskyline
Re: Re: massive turbos in rb26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
i've seen a pic of a skyline with 3, the reason for it was the lag, using 3 small turbos the engine produced upwards of 800bhp an had pretty much zero lag, all three fed off the same manifold i think.
that's funny, i'd like to see that. I wonder what an RB would look like with 6 pulsar turbos on it (^_^)
Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM   #10
tyndago
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tyndago

Ive seen a Supra with 3 and a 57 Chevy with 8. Just remember more is not always better.

Complexity, plumbing issues. Friction losses. Efficiencies. On average a single turbo is 3% more efficient than a set of twins.....
http://www.gtrusablog.com
tyndago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #11
Z07
AF Newbie

Question Re: massive turbos in rb26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
Given that the RB26 runs a parallel setup and that inertia is proportional to radius squared and flow is proportional to radius cubed. How do you work out that more turbos is better to reduce lag. Using two instead of one can smooth out the spool up and make for a cleaner drive but using a big single generally gives less lag.

The only way to make twin-turbos work to reduce is to opt for a staged sequential setup. One turbo works at low revs, both work at high revs. Or true sequential setup. One small turbo works at low revs, second bigger turbo at high revs. Trying to do this with 3 turbos would be a plumbing catastrophe.

How would you use 4 turbos on a 6 cylinder engine? 1.5 exhaust ports feeding each turbo? 3 turbos is also silly because only 2 cylinders are feeding each turbo which makes for infrequent exhaust pulses and slow spool.

Another 'good' reason to go for more turbos is engine layout. Trying to pipe 2 banks of cylinders (like with V8) into one turbo is difficult. If the Veyron (V16) were to use one turbo per bank (2 total), it would mean plumbing 8 exhaust ports up to each turbine - difficult. Therefore 4 cylinders per turbo were adopted.

One way to reduce lag are by adopting lightweight turbine materials like ceramic. Unfortunately, ceramic is more fragile than steel but operates well at low boost levels. Titanium turbines offer the quick spool of a ceramic with the strength of steel turbines. Magnesium compressors have also been tried but the inertia problem is largely at the turbine side.

Other ways to reduce lag include variable turbine blade and nozzle geometry. The twin-scroll turbines used in jap-spec imprezas are an example of variable nozzle geometry.
Z07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
Mr_Powers
AF Newbie

I've seen it on a Subie before, but has anyone ever tried to supercharge a single turbo Skyline? The S/C would solve any lag issue and then a large turbo could be utilized at higher RPMs. What chu think?
Mr_Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
Derby
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Derby

Been there done that.

Google on Volkswagen 1.4 TSI or Lancia Delta HF intergrale.

Compressor and turbo.

4 turbo's on a six cil is useless when it is only 2.6 liters to fill. For bigger engines the sequential setup can be usefull.

Derby

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance