Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 1st Gen 95-99
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 10:43 PM   #1
MiltSA
AF Newbie

Another Tire Question

I've just replaced the two front tires on my 95 Neon. They were 165/80R13 but I was having trouble finding any quality tires that size. I was told at a local tire shop that the BF Goodrich Allseason 185/70R13 would fit right in on the front of the car and wouldn't create a problem. They also suggested I rotate the tires from the back (the 165's) to the front and put the wider tires in the back. However, now that it's done seems bumpier than
ever. I took it back to the tire shop and they rotated good 165's back to the rear and placed the 185/70 on the front. The ride still stinks. It seems bouncier than before and the bumps seem harder. Can anyone enlighten me?

MiltSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 12:19 AM   #2
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Dont ever go back to that tyre shop again.
165's on one end of the car, and 185s on the other could create some intresting handling if you push it hard enough. Basicly you've just changed the whole balance of the car beyond its design limits. However since its a Neon, I wouldn't worry to much, as you dont sound like much of a racer, and Neons arent reknown for thier great speeds.

Regarding the bumby ride- check the tyre pressure, a lot of tyre shops over inflate tyres. With such a small size something around 26-28psi should be alright on the 165s, and maybe 28-30psi on the 185s. You can go lower if the ride really bothers you, but it will hurt tyre wear and millage if you goto low.
Old 07-12-2001, 02:55 PM   #3
MiltSA
AF Newbie

Thanks for your help

Hey, thanks for your help. I took it back this morning to the shop and had them drive it around. I also told them about what you had said. It was very helpful to have that kinda knowledge going into the shop. The mechanic noticed the problem and said the tires were too stiff for the car and were not giving when a bump or dip was hit. They suggested I go back to 165 (which had come in this morning). Although the car isn't back to normal, it is lessened now. I'm going to check the pressure again. The mechanic suggested the pressure on the back should be equal to the front.

Anyway, thanks for helping me out.
MiltSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 11:42 AM   #4
BigBadNeon'95
AF Newbie

Smile Tires

I would recomend getting the 14 inch wheels with 18565r14 tires. Since thats expensive, you might want to check pressure, etc.
Old 12-20-2001, 01:18 AM   #5
jtautostyle_neon
AF Newbie

just put 17"'s on ur neon it will look good trust me!
jtautostyle_neon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Neon | Plymouth Neon > 1st Gen 95-99