Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 3 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 09:56 AM   #1
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

Need advice on buying / ordering

Hello everyone. I need some advice as a potential first-time BMW buyer. The car I am looking at is the 2002 330xi. I'm probably going to go for all three packages and get it in topaz blue. The closest dealership to me that looks like a good place to start is Peabody BMW in Massachusetts.

First of all, I have been looking at their inventory online, and it seems to me like I may have trouble getting exactly what I want, even though they have a large selection of vehicles. I'm guessing this means I will probably have to end up ordering the vehicle. I'd like to drive the car away around the end of June (that's when I'll have my down payment saved up), so when do you think a good time would be to go in and talk to the dealership? Also, what is involved when you order? I've heard about having to put a deposit down but I didn't know how much that usually was.

Secondly, can anyone give me their thoughts on Peabody BMW in Massachusetts? They claim to be one of the top selling BMW dealerships in the US on their website (read it somewhere on there) but I'm more interested in what kind of sales staff they have there and how they treat their customers after the paperwork is signed. My thoughts are that if I am going to drop $43k on a car, they shouldn't jerk you around if you need something fixed under warranty, etc.

All opinions and thoughts welcome.
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 01:08 PM   #2
Russ
AF Newbie

Wink help on the way...

Hello,
I got my 1st bimmer in 97'. I got the 328is (coupe) sport package, with the manual transmission, brand spankin new. That day I drove out of the showroom was one of the happiest days of my life. That was my reward for all the hard work I've put in to my career.
Okay...It usaually doesn't take more than 2 months to order the car of your dreams. And normally they'll probably find your car in a months time. It depends on the options you want. You can usually get a better deal if you get one of the cars in the showroom. But if you must have that special color or wheels, than by all means, order it.
Once you decide on the exact goodies package and car, they'll want a deposit so they know you're serious about buying. Most car dealers have different policies on down payments. Usually between $500 to $1000 down will convince them you want the car. The big down payment comes when your "Ultimate driving machine" arrives. Most sales people will not get your paperwork ready until the car is in the showroom. But if you want to make the deal right there when you order, they'll probably do it. They have to check your credit report, then see which bank wants to take your loan. I've been using "BMW Financial" that's BMW's own, who are really good. But they don't make you go with them.
I'm assuming this is your 1st new car purchase? When it's time to make the deal, the bigger the down payment, the lower the monthly rate will be. Usually Every $1000 will lower your monthly about $80.00-$100.00.
If Peabody BMW says they are one of the best, they probably are. If they have alot of cars, that's usually a good sign. Do they only deal BMW's? My experience with BMW's sales and service has been really good. The dealership I go to is "BMW of Bayside" in Queens, NY. They don't claim to be the best but I haven't had any problems getting warranty claims before. The few I've had, they never even questioned it. If you bought from them, you'll probably get 1st class service. Most dealerships also offer loaner cars if your car will be in thier shop for a few days, so your not stuck finding a ride home and you have a car to drive around until they fix your car. (My dealer loans out bimmers for their customers). If they are reputable, then once you've dropped that $43k into there pockets, they;ll give you the "star" treatment.
Are you leasing or financing? Definetly get the sport package and stick.
It's more fun with these options. Once you drive one with the sport and stick package, then drive one wothout it, it's like night and day. Try it for yourself when you get to the dealer. You also get the bigger wheels and the sport skirts and sport seats that keep you from sliding around when you take those twisty's at fast speeds. I highly recommend it, but I'm sure you've already considered this.
Well, I hope this helps you. Write back if you have more questions.
Good luck,
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 04:27 PM   #3
bmwworld
AF Regular

Peabody BMW is one of the best dealers in the USA, BMW or otherwise. To back it up, the dealership has received the JD Power Award for Customer Satisfaction.
bmwworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 08:32 PM   #4
Ultimateone
AF Regular

Thumbs up

Was at Bmw of Peabody last weekend and they had great service by all means, test drove 2002 330i it was awesome. Great Staff
Old 10-28-2001, 11:26 AM   #5
EdgarFan659
AF Regular

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I also appreciate those comments about Peabody BMW. That affirms my decision to go there first for my new BMW.
EdgarFan659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2001, 05:29 PM   #6
XZLR8
AF Newbie

my ordering experience....

This spring I ordered a '01 325Ci convertible. It took about 2 months from the time of order to actually get the car.... and even then, it was a car that the dealership was already scheduled to receive. Thankfully, I ordered early enough in the process to still be able to change the color & equipment. The dealership did want a deposit, but it was just $500. My salesperson was great about keeping me in the loop throughout the process... letting me know when the car was built, shipped, and received here in the states (in NJ, I think?).

Good luck!
XZLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote