Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #1
91integ
AF Newbie

Engine Shuts off while driving...help please,

Twice now my 91 Intergra GS (automatic) engine has shut off while driving. also because of that I lost my power steering and brakes. No doubt this is a potentially very dangerous problem.

The first time it happened I had the car towed (wouldn’t start) to the Acura dealership and they didn’t know what the problem was, but from my description of what happened they thought it might be the timing belt. But the car started at the dealership and ran like nothing was wrong. I had the oil and oil pan replaced and left not knowing the problem.

A few days later the engine died again while I was driving. I was accelerating from a green light in a normal fashion when it occurred. Again I was not able to start the car. I know I had electrical power and the starter works fine but the engine would not start. A couple hours later I tried again and the car started and I cautiously drove home.

I don't feel good about the dealership because I know they are trying to get me to replace things that are not part of the problem example ie.timing belt.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem might be?
My roommate thinks it might be the coils?

Much appreciated.

Steve,
91integ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 03:46 AM   #2
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

Do you have any mods to the car?
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:56 PM   #3
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

yeah any mods? i had a crx si once and it use to die on me for no reason even when im on the freeway. i later found out that my aftermarket intake was scraping against the battery terminals. this was the culprit which cause the engine to die out, it might be yours too.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:40 PM   #4
josh89
AF Newbie

I would try changing the ignition module
josh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #5
superbluecivicsi
AF - Advisor

my car was like that for months a while back. i checked everything. then after i rebuilt my jrsc and rehooked up my jr btc and map controller, i noticed a loosened wire down in the ecu. taped it back up and it never happened again.
FS: B series InlinePro cast mani, PnH RC 550s, and Hondata S2b. pm me.
superbluecivicsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:13 PM   #6
Jascias
AF Newbie

I Wrote this earlier.

I wrote this earlier. It took me a month to figure out what the problem was, as acura couldn't figure out what the problem was.

"Yes, I have three Integras and this is one of those things that is not well known, as it boggle my mind as to what was wrong on my integra when it happen to me. I 100% think your problem is the ignition module. My friends acura did the same thing as mine and yours. Woundn't listen to me and tried a bunch of different things until he let me change the Ignition module. Guess what, it work! Another thing, Get the ignition module frome acura dealership, I can't say this enough! When this first happen to me I got mine from auto zone, went out after 2 months!! Change it this time with one from Kragen. Nope!! went out in 4 months! Got one from Acura, Guess what, Being working so far for three years. So pay the extra and get it from Acura.
"

By the way its kinda wierd how the ignition module comes out. The module sits on a little steel plate, so you need to take the 2 screws on the bottom of the distributor, use a rachet, and a 7 size. Don't be stupid and take screws out of the inside of the distributor like my other friend did and had to get another distributor. Update: Also remember that the when the ignition module starts going out it can damage or burn the coil, distributor, and rotor. So if you change everything but the ignition module you run a big big risk of all your new parts being ruined

Also yes this is a very dangerous thing to happen, as my symptoms were the same as yours, SO GET YOUR PART FROM ACURA!! Don't be a idiot and do what I did.

Let me know when it starts, because this is 100% your problem.
Jascias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:25 PM   #7
91integ
AF Newbie

Re: I Wrote this earlier.

Thanks for your insight, I had the igniter replaced yesterday, fortunately the shop I went to uses acura parts. Judging from your response that should do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jascias
I wrote this earlier. It took me a month to figure out what the problem was, as acura couldn't figure out what the problem was.

"Yes, I have three Integras and this is one of those things that is not well known, as it boggle my mind as to what was wrong on my integra when it happen to me. I 100% think your problem is the ignition module. My friends acura did the same thing as mine and yours. Woundn't listen to me and tried a bunch of different things until he let me change the Ignition module. Guess what, it work! Another thing, Get the ignition module frome acura dealership, I can't say this enough! When this first happen to me I got mine from auto zone, went out after 2 months!! Change it this time with one from Kragen. Nope!! went out in 4 months! Got one from Acura, Guess what, Being working so far for three years. So pay the extra and get it from Acura.
"

By the way its kinda wierd how the ignition module comes out. The module sits on a little steel plate, so you need to take the 2 screws on the bottom of the distributor, use a rachet, and a 7 size. Don't be stupid and take screws out of the inside of the distributor like my other friend did and had to get another distributor.

Also yes this is a very dangerous thing to happen, as my symptoms were the same as yours, SO GET YOUR PART FROM ACURA!! Don't be a idiot and do what I did.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #8
91integ
AF Newbie

Re: Engine Shuts off while driving...help please,

Looks like that was it. thanks for your suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh89
I would try changing the ignition module

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Integra