Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
84fiero123
AF Regular

Navigation systems poll

ok lets try and help each other out, sitting at the dinner table tonight the wife made me think of something. all of you guys that i have been talking to and have an address on your profile page have mostly been from out west. so heres my question. gm has many plnts that build these trucks but like i said it seems like all or most of you with the problem nav systems live out west.
1. where was your truck built, which plant if you dont know, where are you?
2. how bad is your problem?
3. what has the dealer told you was the problem.

i am going to get ahold of the the tsb for the nav. system and see just exacly what it says, but i'ld be will to bet they were all built at the same plant, maybe if your lucky the plant that built the trucks has a fix. its worth a try.
84fiero123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:15 PM   #2
Eggert
AF Regular

Re: Navigation systems poll

Hi 84fiero,
thank you for working on figuring out a way to address this nav radio problem.
I agree with you that the time may have come to bring this problem to the attention of GMC.
It seems to me that the assembly plants get parts from all over the place and that the radios probably are coming from the same source.
At least the GMC customized firmware has to be the same across the board.
Sometimes letters to the president of a company do get results, that would be my choice.
I neither have a nav radio nor do I have the address of GMC's president, so this is it for me.

VIN Position 1 is the country of origin:
1=USA
2=Canada
3=Mexico
VIN Position 11 is the Plant Location:
1=Oshawa, Ontario
E=Pontiac, Michigan
Z=Fort Wayne, Indiana
J=Janesvill, Wisconsin
G=Silao, Mexico
F=Flint, Michigan
X=Experimental Engineering Manufacturing

Take care, Eggert

Last edited by Eggert; 02-06-2005 at 08:04 PM.
Eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
84fiero123
AF Regular

i worked for gm for 15 years and have friends all over the country working at different plants. unfortunatly sold my gm stock when it was high. so access to corporate leaders and stockholders meetings is not an option to me. but lets see how far this gets you guys. on monday i will talk to my local dealer. i have an in with servise department, and owner.
so come on guys if you want this problem fixed lets here some input.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Reels
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Navigation systems poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84fiero123
i worked for gm for 15 years and have friends all over the country working at different plants. unfortunatly sold my gm stock when it was high. so access to corporate leaders and stockholders meetings is not an option to me. but lets see how far this gets you guys. on monday i will talk to my local dealer. i have an in with servise department, and owner.
so come on guys if you want this problem fixed lets here some input.

As I posted in the other post, there is a fix per GM that came out in the begining of January. They are replaciing the units, but there is no stock, been waiting two weeks for mine.

R-
Reels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #5
84fiero123
AF Regular

good news but until you get the unit and it is installed i would like to here from anyone in this reguard, and especially freom anyone who has gotten the new unit installed. not that i dont belive you, its gm i dont belive!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Denalix5
AF Regular

I have an 04 Denali that has the same problem. The dealer told me the lock up to the Nav was caused by the CD changer. They changed out the CD changer but I still occasionally get the Nav screen to lock up.

Does anybody know where I can get updates to the Nav CD? Although my truck is an 04 many streets in my area that have been around for a couple of years are not listed.
Denalix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 05:19 PM   #7
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

FWIW--I live in CA, drive an '04 DXL built in WI, and my nav has worked fine from the day I bought my truck.

If the problem is due to the CD changer--well, I shouldn't be having that problem any more (not that I had the problem to begin with) since I've replaced it with a DVD head unit...

Denalix5--version 3.0 has been out for at least half a year; if you can convince the dealer to give it to you for free...great! But I wouldn't count on it, given how much it lists for ($346); GM online discount is around $197; you can get it for much less on Ebay (that's where I got mine)...or perhaps find someone with a 3.0 to burn you a copy (oops, I didn't just say that).
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
84fiero123
AF Regular

folks all you got to do is open the drivers door look at the side of the door if there is a UAW sticker there it will tell you where it was built. thats what i want to know where it was built. then if the nav system is working or what problems ur having. just telling me where you are from doesnt help
Old 02-08-2005, 12:17 PM   #9
tonytone
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
folks all you got to do is open the drivers door look at the side of the door if there is a UAW sticker there it will tell you where it was built. thats what i want to know where it was built. then if the nav system is working or what problems ur having. just telling me where you are from doesnt help
Well if your post (above) was in response (in part or otherwise) to my post (right above yours)...I'll just say this:

1) You mentioned in the very first post in this thread that it might have seemed to you that many of the folks who were experiencing the problem may have been "from out west"; hence my mentioning that I am an owner of a truck with a GM nav unit "from out west".

2) Well duh--did you think I just took a wild guess when I stated that my truck was built in Wisconsin? Gee, thanks for clearly implying that I'm an idiot for not knowing where to find out where my truck was built.

3) And yeah, I did mention that my nav unit is working fine. What part(s) of my response (post #7) to your post (#1 and 8) did you not understand?
tonytone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:37 PM   #10
84fiero123
AF Regular

no reels and denalix5 were the ones i was refering to. the ones that r bitching but not saying where there trucks r built and they r having the prioblems but i did not get where there trucks r made
the reason i ask is they were also made in mexico. those would be shiped to california too.

Last edited by 84fiero123; 02-08-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #11
Denalix5
AF Regular

Quote:
no reels and denalix5 were the ones i was refering to. the ones that r bitching but not saying where there trucks r built and they r having the prioblems but i did not get where there trucks r made
the reason i ask is they were also made in mexico. those would be shiped to california too.
FYI I was not specifically replying to you 84fiero123. My post was just a statement that I was having a similar problem and what the dealer did for me to try and fix it. If you must know my truck was built in Janesville Wisconsin and I live in California. I'm sure any help you can give to everyone with this Nav problem would be greatly appreciated.
Denalix5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #12
Reels
AF Newbie

Nav unit was installed, and working fine. Not a failure in over 20 hours of driving.
Reels is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Yukon