Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
piranha8mycat
AF Newbie

battery drain over night....

how can I find out what is draining my cars batt... if it is left for more than a day it will be compleetly dead when I try to start it. replaced battery last week ... this mourning it wa dead again... nithing obviouse is on?????
piranha8mycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Romocar
AF Newbie

Re: battery drain over night....

Does it have auto leveling air shocks? If so it could be running, due to a leak. Withn the key out, try sitting in for a minute and see if you hear the compressor kick in.
Romocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

The easiest way is to use a clamp-on ammeter ($60 at Sears). Connect it to a battery cable (if there are two or more cables on the same terminal, put it around both/all of them). Pull fuses one at a time until the drain drops. If the draw doesn't go down, put the fuse back in and go to the next one. Note how much each fuse lowers the draw. When you find fuse(s) that lower it significantly, you have found a circuit on which there is a problem. Ideally, the total drain would be .05A. On some vehicles you just won't get it that low. A draw of .5A on a good battery will not drain it down significantly if you drive every few days. Remove the under-hood light while doing this test. Also, make sure the underhood light isn't staying on because of a malfunction or because of the angle the car is parked on.

Also, load test the battery. New doesn't always mean good. There is a brand of battery sold at a huge nation-wide chain store that is junk. This battery almost neverstarts a car after it is a couple years old, and even new some will fail a load test.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
3100regal
AF Newbie

mine did that too, but it was my kenwood amp, if u have a sound system hooked up, pull the fuse on the power wire, and check it the next day, if that was the problem ur amps power distribution is jacked up, which can be common

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion